Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":oz51mre7 said:
very true... I just hope i dont have to feed hay in the summer again..

Just one summer that is just a dry spell wait till you get in a drought.
We went from a mild to moderate to extreme with each year getting worse.
Sloughs in my bottom are holding water as normal now for the first time in three years.

Yea, lastyear was my first time of dealing with that and it was a royal pain in the butt but I have over 300 4x5 bales left so I can feed if its another dry spell. Caustic do you have automatic waterers on your place?

skyhightree1":1g0340ba said:
Yea, lastyear was my first time of dealing with that and it was a royal pain in the butt but I have over 300 4x5 bales left so I can feed if its another dry spell. Caustic do you have automatic waterers on your place?

Yep two spring fed creek's four pond's and three slough's deep enough for your hat to float if you step off in them.

Mine is 185' and it did fine thru 2011 drought, but it's got a thick sand to produce out of and I'm on the bottom of a long drop toward a little river..

skyhightree1":3kqvx4ju said:
gotcha what about your house wells how deep do those have to be there so they dont dry up?

We have a co-op well that is 600 feet deep that is normal well depth in this part of the county.

The principal aquifers--Jasper, Evangeline, and Chicot--contain fresh to
slighty saline water to a depth of at least 2,945 feet below sea level. In the
southern part of the county where all three aquifers are present, the net thickness
of sands containing fresh to slightly saline water is as much as 1,000
feet. In the northern part of the county where the Jasper, Evangeline, and
Chicot are absent, the Jackson Group and Catahoula Sandstone are the only
sources of good quality water.

gotcha my house well is drilled 300 ft they hit water 35 feet down and the well for my waterers are shallow wells only 40 feet deep.

I live on the edge of the escarpment(sp) where we have to go down to 5 or 600 feet for water. The rolling hills breaks and start's to flatten out on the coastal plain.
What is mind blowing there is literally hundreds of springs in this area, about 25 different ones feed one of the creek's going through my place. At the bottom of every hill here you will find a spring feed branch. All of these spring's are coming out of the Catahula Sandstone aquafier that is 600 to a 1000' deep.

This a list of the named spring fed branches and creek's there is that many more that are not offically named.
http://www.topozone.com/states/texas.as ... ure=Stream

skyhightree1":3ecdk2sn said:
Wow.. That is crazy thats alot of springs

Any that are in the Chambliss Hill map's are in my back yard.
Many Texans don't even realize how many spring's are in this area.
They think of the hill country in central Texas as being loaded with the major aquafier's and spring's.
We are talking springs that run year round. Fall's branch went dry running through my place two years ago during the relly bad part of the drought. The last time that happened was 1910. The spring's were still running during both drought's it was just so dry and the water flow was going back underground before it got to me.

Interesting, this talk of water.
I'm a director of a rural water company. Wells here are frustrating and low flowing, like maybe 15 gallons/hr if you get lucky. But down in the river bottoms there are aquifers which we recently tapped for a million gal/day system.
We have lots of springs, and our main problem is the calcium in the water from limestone. We are on the shoreline of an ancient sea and the limestone just accumulated here.

2013-02-12_13-40-30_96.jpg

My wife sent me this picture, the water is running over our driveway. First time since 06 and more rain is comming Monday. Sure glad I put some rock down.

john250":10hmg1g5 said:
Interesting, this talk of water.
I'm a director of a rural water company. Wells here are frustrating and low flowing, like maybe 15 gallons/hr if you get lucky. But down in the river bottoms there are aquifers which we recently tapped for a million gal/day system.
We have lots of springs, and our main problem is the calcium in the water from limestone. We are on the shoreline of an ancient sea and the limestone just accumulated here.

The depth in this part of the county made drilling a well for each home so expensive we formed a CO-OP in the 70's
We got a government grant for half and floated a bond for the drilling two 600 foot (they can back each other up) wells to the aquafier and running the line's. Each well has a diesel generator back-up for loss of electricity. During the hurricanes was sweet. We have right at 250 families on the system.
Water lines were just ran along the county road's meter's installed and you had to tap in to your house.
I got one neighbor I bet his water line is close to a 1/2 mile long.
We have one full time employee that maintain's the system.
Forgot to add we each had to put up 800 dollars when we formed the co-op along with the bond and grant.
That was a lot of money in the early 70's.

Latest posts