Severe weather isn't like it once was.

Help Support CattleToday:

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought of how thunderstorms around here aren't what they used to be.

When I was a kid in the 70s, I can remember severe thunderstorms being a normal thing in the summer. There wasn't even tornadoes with most, but the storm clouds would roll In and look scary. We would have lightning that seemed like it was just right outside the window, and the thunder was terrible. This would go in quite a while. I remember it was a common occurrence to go to the storm cellar during the summer, and neighbors who didn't have one would show up. We just do t have storms like that much anymore.

'Tornado alley' is slowly but inexorably moving more to the East. There are now more twisters in East Texas/Western & Central Louisiana every year than in West Texas and so many in the SE USA/Old South that they have coined the term "Dixie Tornado Alley".

greybeard said:
'Tornado alley' is slowly but inexorably moving more to the East. There are now more twisters in East Texas/Western & Central Louisiana every year than in West Texas and so many in the SE USA/Old South that they have coined the term "Dixie Tornado Alley".

It's pretty severe here right now!

Poured yesterday morning, cleared off nice and clear and sunny around noon but came back with a vengeance right after dark and continued until about 1am this morning. No damage but lots of lightening and lots of rain. More on the way from the looks of things.

greybeard said:
Poured yesterday morning, cleared off nice and clear and sunny around noon but came back with a vengeance right after dark and continued until about 1am this morning. No damage but lots of lightening and lots of rain. More on the way from the looks of things.

2.8 inches in the last 24 hours and another wave just about here.

I got 4 inches between January 1 and March 30. 10 inches in April and 4 inches so far in May. If it goes the way it did last year it will dry up around June and some will start feeding hay by the end of August.

TONIGHT
SAT 05/04
LOW 64 F 90% Precip. / 1.29 in
Thunderstorms Late. Low 64F. Winds light and variable.

TOMORROW
SAT 05/04
HIGH 81 F 80% Precip. / 0.39 in
Thunderstorms. High 81F. Winds light and variable.

TOMORROW NIGHT
SUN 05/05
LOW 62 F 20% Precip. / 0.00 in
Mostly Clear. Low 62F. Winds light and variable.