Severe weather isn't like it once was.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/us/severe-storms-tornado-threat-thursday-wxc/index.html

How many folks had weather severe enough to cancel school? I don't remember having but one weather while I was in school, and that was because it snowed in south Florida. The weather liars are getting carried away and feasting on the sheepeople. More fake news at it's finest.

Wife and I talked about this earlier. I don't remember ever having a day off because of weather. If we had school cancelled it was because of washed out roads and the buses couldn't travel. We used to stay at school even if the heat was torn up. I bet some on here older than me went to school with little or no heat. Weather liars are crying wolf. Gonna be bad one day.

Bad weather is big news and a money maker for the networks I guess. Only time I turn on the Weather Channel for more the 10 minutes is when they claim "Severe Storms". I'm glad they get it wrong most of the time but makes you wonder. The thing I've noticed here is we don't get the what the old timers called money maker rains anymore. It seems it's either a drought or everyones screaming button down the hatches and it rains 2-3" in a few hours.

I'm sure we had a weather day or 2 in school but I don't remember it. I do remember the one time I was in school and it snowed Mom taking us to school. It only snowed one time in about 25 yrs so pretty sure school wasn't canceled for rain.

JMJ Farms said:
Wife and I talked about this earlier. I don't remember ever having a day off because of weather. If we had school cancelled it was because of washed out roads and the buses couldn't travel. We used to stay at school even if the heat was torn up. I bet some on here older than me went to school with little or no heat. Weather liars are crying wolf. Gonna be bad one day.

We had no air condition in our schools.

I dropped by the Extension office today to see about buying some 4-H tomato plants and they were closed. I soon learned all the gov't offices were closed as were the schools. I know some people had some bad weather but it was just another windy day here and we got a quarter inch of rain. I think our problem lies in having access to too much information. I mean, someone can fart in California and within minutes we here about it and everyone goes to holding their noses.

bad weather is big news until it happens in the middle of "old white people territory"

haase said:
Maybe good Friday, josephus.

No, the sign on the door said it was due to the bad weather. Granted, it was all I could do to brave my way to the door what with the six mile an hour winds. :lol2:

Our school misses an average of 6 days a year due to snow, and it's been the way ever since i can remember. Not too many years ago, we missed 16 days due to snow. It doesn't have to be a blizzard or a big accumulation. We have so many back roads that are untreated, and a school bus is far from being a slick-road vehicle. We ere on the side of caution. I can remember a handful of times in 40 years that we missed for flooding. We missed a couple of days this year due to frigid temperatures.

With that said, It does get old as to how weather is such a big newsmaker these days.

Missed school days is all agenda related now, we used to all move to the other side of the bus when going around a corner on a snow covered country road, to get it to go sideways, and the bus driver was down.Good times.

I was snowed in about a total of ten days and I mean more than 5 - 6 foot drifts in the yard and down the 450 yard long laneway.

I got tired of hooking up the 8 foot wide snow blower to clean things up. The last of the snow is really leaving tonight as it is finally raining here.

Grandkids missed about a total of 10 days due to snow and buses not getting down the back gravel roads.

Pretty normal for around here.

Best to all.

When I was in school, and we lived a few miles from the last stop for the bus, I remember one day the roads were glare ice and we couldn't get to the bus stop.. other than that, later years I had a little Honda CT 70, and if the thing would start, I'd ride it to the bus.. coldest I ever rode it was -10F.. and the bus wasn't much warmer either.

I watched the weather terrorists on Friday around here...they had been calling for severe storms on fridya for more than a week

I gotta admit they were calling Tornadoes live on the air from the weather rada left and right......

and we have had at last count 11 confirmed tornadoes right where they were calling them....nearest one to me was about fifteen miles and it barely rained at my house....thank goodness....

Concerning missing school for snow, if there is any accumulation at all on the roads, or if it's black ice, we usually cancel school. That's the way it's done all over Ky as far as I know. Whenever we view school closings on the news, there is always a slew of other counties closed as well.

Is it that way in other places, or does it have to be a huge snow before your schools cancel?

schools today in virginia will close at the drop of a snowflake.....it is all liability driven...and they do not open around here until the back roads are clear....

pdfangus said:
schools today in virginia will close at the drop of a snowflake.....it is all liability driven...and they do not open around here until the back roads are clear....

I wonder how many kids get in trouble while out of school for weather days? It's a PITA for the parents that have to work and have kids in school.

Had snow days as far back as anyone can remember UP here. Get 5" of snow in an hour and there's no way a bus can safely navigate the backroads. Or get 12 foot tall drifts and it takes a day or two to get the roads clear enough to navigate in anything but a snowmobile. That's the way it has been and the way it will continue. Sometimes they cancel school the night before and then things fizzle, other times they go to school and lake effect snow will pickup and by afternoon there is 3 foot of snow and it's a real pickle getting kids home.