weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos that has got to be tough on you and the cattle. I can't even imagine what it's like to try to cope with those weather conditions. 38 degrees but sleeting here in Texas right now. Hope warmer weather and sunshine or on the way to you soon. :cboy:

Hope you have some straw to lay out.
FINALLY got some snow down here. Haven't had any since before Christmas.
That is still too cold though, keep warm. Make a big pot of soup or chili. :cboy:

I wouldn't know how to act in those temperatures. In south Louisiana, we have not had a winter yet. It's been mainly in the 60's with an occassional drop into the 30's at night. I don't believe my cattle would survive -45. :shock: How do you do it?

gerardplauche":3mmgj0a5 said:
I wouldn't know how to act in those temperatures. In south Louisiana, we have not had a winter yet. It's been mainly in the 60's with an occassional drop into the 30's at night. I don't believe my cattle would survive -45. :shock: How do you do it?
It helps if your not to bright--getting tractors to start can be a handful --bed them girls right up to the eyeballs----feed them best quality hay I have on real cold days--mabe a little oats. ---they sure eat a lot on cold days Kind of takes the fun out of it the way the prices are here

carl

We have a ten day forecast with the highs projected to only be in the teens (fahrenheit) and the wind chills will be below zero. What I am having the problem with is due to the recent thaw and mud mess and now I have big craters from the girls sinking nearly to their hocks that have frozen. Hard for them to get around, me too.

We had a nice snow, about a foot then a brief warming for a day, just enough to melt the top few inches of snow then back to the hard freeze making the ground look like the frosting on a Christmas cookie. Thank goodness for ski poles. Dmc

Prediction is for -28 to -31 F temps tonight. Add the wind in and that puts it around -40 to -50 F. Tomorrow high winds, temps -13 to -18 F. We are in a windchill warning. Can cause frostbite on exposed skin in 5 to 10 minutes. Ouch this hurts!!! :cry: :help:

nahitsnottrue3.jpg

Pretty well sums up today-- 10 Below this AM at the river ranch- 15 Below at the north ranch....Only got to a high of 4 Above- and the wind blew cold all day.....

Predicting 10-20 Below tonite- and thru about Tuesday...

Oldtimer":2pfvqjpo said:
Pretty well sums up today-- 10 Below this AM at the river ranch- 15 Below at the north ranch....Only got to a high of 4 Above- and the wind blew cold all day.....

Predicting 10-20 Below tonite- and thru about Tuesday...

Rather then being so darn generous and sharing it with us, how about being selfish and keeping it?

I've seen diesel fuel turn to jello in cold weather. It was -60 in Mn once when I was up there. A gallon of regular *leaded* gasoline per 100 gallons of diesel will keep the fuel flowing! Farmers feed America and truckers get it where it needs to go.

Disclaimer. This was back in the late 70s and diesel engines were a lot less advanced then. I do not recommend this for the new and improved versions.

It has been in the high 70's all week, then dropped to 32 today... :frowns:

We South-Central Texans kinda go into "slow motion" when it drops below 40. :)

:cboy:

spoon":1lwdl4iv said:
I've seen diesel fuel turn to jello in cold weather. It was -60 in Mn once when I was up there. A gallon of regular *leaded* gasoline per 100 gallons of diesel will keep the fuel flowing! Farmers feed America and truckers get it where it needs to go.

Disclaimer. This was back in the late 70s and diesel engines were a lot less advanced then. I do not recommend this for the new and improved versions.

Yep-- anymore a guy just adds a little diesel anti gel-- and runs #1 Fuel in the tractor when its this cold...
The north place is heated with a fuel oil heater-- and we just add a little gas to the fuel tank to keep that flowing.....

Oldtimer":246li9yr said:
spoon":246li9yr said:

Yep-- anymore a guy just adds a little diesel anti gel-- and runs #1 Fuel in the tractor when its this cold...
The north place is heated with a fuel oil heater-- and we just add a little gas to the fuel tank to keep that flowing.....
no problem here our fuel comes --made for winter once fall comes ---winter fuel will burn a little faster once spring comes

carl

Latest posts