Weaning Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
I recently had my first calf back in January.
He will be 3 months on the 21st of the April.
I have my state show coming up and it's just getting to expensive to continue feeding my heifer, so I was considering
showing my calf as a bull he will a little over 4 months when the show is being held.
If I'm going to wean him when should I do it and in what way will create the least amount of stress?
478295_362308143804288_100000753152756_995747_23679329_o.jpg

IMG_20120415_112912.jpg

We have pulled ours off for the show and let her back with her mom when we got back. She did bawl, but she did eat. Can you take a nurse cow to the show? If you can, take them both, but only show the bull.

As far as weaning, it takes a 2 to 3 weeks for them to look good.

The calf will be expensive to feed as well off the cow. I would leave him on the cow. He could be weaned now, and would make it. You run the risk of being a little dough ball doing it though.

Bigfoot":2g88n4b9 said:
The calf will be expensive to feed as well off the cow. I would leave him on the cow. He could be weaned now, and would make it. You run the risk of being a little dough ball doing it though.

I'm only taking my calf to one show, and I'd rather feed him 3 bags and a bale a week opposed to
3 bags and a bale every 2 days.

ffamom":2vmb1j73 said:
We have pulled ours off for the show and let her back with her mom when we got back. She did bawl, but she did eat. Can you take a nurse cow to the show? If you can, take them both, but only show the bull.

As far as weaning, it takes a 2 to 3 weeks for them to look good.

:shock:

Latest posts