weaning issue-first time to do this

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Working on weaning 3 calves across 2 strands of electric fence that the whole herd has has been well-trained to....up until now. The 2 heifer calves are doing just fine, but the steer calf is somehow managing to crawl under/jump over/run through-I haven't caught him in the act yet. They are all about 7-8 months. Will he eventually self-wean or do I need to use a calf-weaning ring or some other measure? Mom is bred but continues to hold condition well. Also, everything I've read says keep them apart at least 30 days. But surely their udders dry up faster than this?

Try the nose flaps. He'll continue to nurse, mama will continue to produce. Are you planning on putting the weaned calves back with their dams after 30 days? Not really a good idea.
Pardon my ignorance, but why? I've got no bull on my place, and won't breed them till they are 14-16 months or so. I don't feed them any differently...what am I missing? Or maybe you mean wait longer than 30 days? Like Farmgirl said, 6-8 weeks?

Even 6-8 wks I'd be wary of a heifer to try starting to drink again and then when the cow starts to make milk again it pinches the colostrum. Cows also need a rest period to dry up and then make up again for next lactation. Without a rest period it can affect the amount of milk in next lactation.

Ken

Pardon my ignorance, but why? I've got no bull on my place, and won't breed them till they are 14-16 months or so. I don't feed them any differently...what am I missing? Or maybe you mean wait longer than 30 days? Like Farmgirl said, 6-8 weeks?
What Ken said. If they're still nursing at 7-8 months & mama's not kicking them off, especially the steer, there's always the possibility they'll resume once you put them back. My retained heifers are not rejoined with the main herd (and their mamas) until after they've calved when their 2 years old. But that's what works for my operation.

hmm...I'd love to retain my heifers but am not really set up to run two herds yet. I'm a very low input/part-time operation. Steer already has a processing date of next August, but if he already disrespects electric fences, he may need to go...lots to think about. Thanks for the information.

hmm...I'd love to retain my heifers but am not really set up to run two herds yet. I'm a very low input/part-time operation. Steer already has a processing date of next August, but if he already disrespects electric fences, he may need to go...lots to think about. Thanks for the information.
Dont worry about him and the fence right now. He is UNWEANED.
He will settle. Just takes a bit of time him being away from mama.
Pen the 3 weanlings up for at least 2 weeks. They will stop bawling and settle down. Then maybe give your hotwire idea a try. Might add a 3rd or 4th wire tho.
I've had good luck putting them back with mama after as little as 2 or 3 months away from mama. Once the cow dries up, thatll help too.
The longer the better tho.
It can be difficult to do without a seperate place somewhere else. Before I got a seperate place friends pastures were loaned to me. I helped put hay out in winter and what not for the use of pasture.
It helped tremendously having good friends and neighbors.

yes the udders dry up before the 30 days, but once the calf starts sucking again, the cow will start producing milk again. A well built fence can have a hard time keeping freshly weaned calves from finding a way to get back to the cow. I know I would not even try keeping them apart with an electric fence. If you do not have ability to keep apart, you could find an alternative place to keep them for 30 days and then bring back and keep separated by the electric fence.

Thanks for all the thoughts. My new plan is to move the calves including the steer to the 1 acre yard around the house. Hay and feed for additional 30-45 days and then see what happens. The yard fence is my only solidly enclosed area besides my perimeter fence. Got a good relationship with my neighbors, but most of them don't have cattle-containing fences...I'll reach out to one though-that's a good thought.

Haven't posted pics of my cows before. Here's my setup and the ornery steer (who's actually great in every other way!). This has held the heifer calves out for almost 2 weeks now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.11.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.11.22 AM.png
    726.5 KB · Views: 8
Weaning by the farmers almanac 'best times to wean" dates really does seem to make a difference. We do it whenever possible. It seems like when we install the flaps not during the best times to wean the cows do a fair amount of calling while out on pasture with their calves at side.

Trying to wean with 2 strands of electric is "bold". I sure wouldn't try. I do "fenceline" weaning, but have 5 strands hi-tensile. I wouldn't think of putting calves back with cows for 6 months. My calves are weaned in September, and don't go back in same field with cows until the cows and heifers have been bred (around April) and the whole herd gets turned out on grass.
If a calf gets back with it's dam and decides to start sucking, most cows will let them, and most cows will come back into milk production. This will mean her "newborn" calf won't have any colostrum and will be competing with big brother/sister for food, so will most likely not survive. It is a learning curve. Lots to learn about raising cattle.
Yes, there will be producers that say they turn their calves back in with the cows in 30 days - is it worth the risk?

How are you going to sell or haul to slaughter or do any thing with them if you dont have pens?
I have, "pens" :). Meaning I have about 15 lightweight panels and a head gate bolted to some 6x6 posts. It's not great, but being a novice, I didn't want to invest in heavy, permanent pens before I even know if I was going to be able to actually keep cows alive on my place. So far, reading a lot about low-stress handling and not rushing, I've vaccinated, tagged, loaded, separated...and learned a ton about what doesn't work! This is actually the first electric fence failure in 3 years, including training rented bulls. BUT, my first time to wean..

Latest posts