weaning calves in pasture next to mothers

Help Support CattleToday:

warrington

Reaction score
I have ~7 calves to wean. Is it possible to wean them in a pature next to the pasture that the mothers are in. The wean pasture is 15 acres and the pasture where the moms ARE is 200 acres. Will the calves or the moms tear down the fence to get back to one another? Would it be good to start with the calves in a set of pens for a couple of days and then put them on the 20 acres? Also how long would you keep them apart. Thanks Will

We do it all the time. I do however take apart my portable corral and place the panels alongside the fence that seperates them.

Depends on the will of the cow vs the will of the fence. That is how I wean, but I make sure that fence is hot hot hot. I've had mommas uproot woven wire and I've heard tell of calves suckling through the fence too.

warrington":3foug4y2 said:
I have ~7 calves to wean. Is it possible to wean them in a pature next to the pasture that the mothers are in. The wean pasture is 15 acres and the pasture where the moms ARE is 200 acres. Will the calves or the moms tear down the fence to get back to one another? Would it be good to start with the calves in a set of pens for a couple of days and then put them on the 20 acres? Also how long would you keep them apart. Thanks Will

How good are your fences? The first time we ever weaned calves (commercial), they went through a good five strand barbed wire fence to get to their mommas. Now we put them in the corral for 5-7 days and then turn them out where they don't share a fenceline with the cows. After about three days the cows aren't much interested in them, but I think if they could get to the cows they'd let them nurse so we keep them apart. Being in the corral also limits their walking space. They have to walk around water troughs and feed bunks, too, and soon find out what's in them is pretty good stuff.

I believe in gentle weaning. I put the calves up in my working facility surrounded by corral panels. I allow the cows to come up to the facility for about a week. After that the cows (if they haven't done so already) are united with the rest of the herd. At this point the calves are segregated in their own pasture with high tensile electric fence (single strand).

Do a search for fence line weaning. It's done all the time. We do it with a single strand of HOT wire between them. After a couple of days we move the cows away to other pastures. It's best to do it in a pasture they are familiar with so they know where water and feed is.
From the recent BEEF magazine:
Weaning time is harvest time in cow-calf country. This can be a stressful time for the cow, the calf and the rancher. Probably the most critical weaning decisions a rancher needs to make are gauging when and where to wean.

USDA's National Animal Health Monitoring System (NAHMS) reports that the average weaning age of beef calves in the U.S. is a little over seven months of age. Over three-quarters of these producers reported weaning calves between 5½ - 8½ months of age.

The interesting part of the NAHMS survey is that producers reported a lack of flexibility in selection of weaning time. Relatively few ranchers indicated that cow condition, forage availability or market price drove the decision of when to wean calves.

The objective of a weaning program is to get the calves separated from their mothers and on their own as efficiently as possible. This should be when lactation declines and calf gain begins to decrease.

Diets for weaned calves can be purchased or ranch-developed. The advantage to purchased feeds is they're more likely to be balanced for energy, protein, fiber and minerals. In addition, many of them can contain medications or ionophores recommended by a veterinarian or nutritionist.

Some important considerations in weaning management include:

Dust - Dust causes severe irritation to the respiratory tract. Sprinkle pens to keep dust down.

Heat - Cattle tend to hold their body heat through the day, so if it's hot, try to work them in the morning as opposed to the afternoon or evening.

Bawling - This is another irritant to the upper respiratory tract. To minimize bawling - unless "fenceline weaning" - separate the calves from the cows so they can't hear each other.

Dehydration - Some calves are not acquainted with water troughs and are so busy bawling they don't take time to find the water and drink. Use of a water source similar to one they may have been around may help.

Feed change - A change in diet requires the growth of different organisms in the rumen to digest the feed. This change can take up to two weeks.

Why is stress the most important challenge to overcome when weaning calves? The University of Minnesota's Bethany (Lovaas) Funnell, DVM, explains that stress causes the release of the hormone cortisol - a catabolic steroid that has negative effects on the immune system.

This not only makes a calf more susceptible to respiratory disease, but decreases the calf's ability to respond to a vaccine. Because of this, it's important to get the first dose of vaccine into the calves while they're still nursing, when stress levels are low.

There are two major groups of vaccines that should be considered to assist weaning - those for clostridial diseases and those for respiratory diseases. If you're unsure which vaccines to use, contact your herd-health veterinarian.

Weaning strategies
There are about as many weaning strategies as there are ranchers. Over the past 10-15 years, the beef industry has become more aware of the value of pre- and post-weaning calf health management and marketing management. It's worthwhile to explore the various "cookbook" weaning programs and regimes available.

One concept that's been getting a lot of attention is fenceline weaning, which allows cows and calves to have several days of fenceline contact, but calves are unable to nurse through the fence. This requires adequate facilities to allow for feeding and watering the calves, and the fence must be tight enough to prevent the calf from getting back in with the cow.

Early weaning is a management practice sometimes used during drought conditions, or when forage quantity is less than desirable. Early weaning is often used to improve cow condition for rebreeding, particularly when forage is limiting. Research shows mixed results on the economics of early weaning.

Extended weaning may make sense in times when feed costs are high and when grazing forages aren't a limiting factor. A Florida study shows that fall-calving cows can nurse calves for up to two months beyond a standard weaning age of 7-8 months and significantly increase calf weaning weight without affecting cow reproduction.

For more information go to:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AN048

http://beef.tamu.edu/academics/beef/pub ... accine.pdf

http://www.extension.org/pages/Early_Weaning_Strategies

http://www.beefcowcalf.com/pubs/Topics/ ... Management

Excellent post on weaning dun! I like reading material like that. Never too old to learn, unless your stubborn like me. :nod:

Thanks, OUr fence is in excellent condition 5 strand. The corals are in good shape as well. From all the info I think that I might put them in the coral for 7 days with water and sweet feed or small pellets, then turn them in to there own 20 acre pasture. How long would you leave them in the pasture by themselves. The large pasture does have 1 bull for the herd.

id leave the heifers in the 20ac pasture till they are big enough an old enough to breed.

The easiest, least stressful, no torn fences, way to wean is to use a weaning ring. When it's time to wean a calf, I run it through the chute, vaccinate, dehorn and put a ring in it's nose. The calf runs back to it's mother. She tends to it's wounds, and the calf is comforted. It can't nurse. Some calves are able to strip a little milk, if the cow has long teats, but she will kick him off when the spike gets her! It always works. For about 2-3 dollars a calf, it is by far the easiest, most gentle way to wean. No stress, no shrink. I don't creep feed, so I keep them with their mothers until it's time to separate them for breeding. By then they don't care. Most heifers never have to leave their mothers and stay buddies, calving in the same cycle as two year olds. I think it helps the heifers become better mothers. They usually babysit their mothers next calf!

I have not had any trouble with weaned cattle going back to nurse, but if I did I would use the ring to stop it. I think the ring has the added value to teaching the calf not to even try it!

i got a paddock i wean my replacements in 5 strands of barb and a single hot wire ran around nose high,has worked great for me, with moma on the other side is whole lot less stressful than a pasture or two over. mine stay there until turn out for breeding season.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1vqjf0yd said:
warrington":1vqjf0yd said:
would breeding age be around 12-14 months, to release them back with the bull

14-15 months

Alot of folks release them at 14-15 months of age, and some wait until 18 months. I think it all depends on the maturity of the heifer involved. If you really want a fully mature heifer before she breeds, it is best to wait until 16-18 months though.

warrington":38bbi0fn said:
would breeding age be around 12-14 months, to release them back with the bull

Closer to 14 then 12. In most cases, 14 months would be the minimum. 14-16 months is the age we shoot for.

keeping my heifers away from the mature cows and on a good plain of nutrition. allows me to have ample growth, on em by 15 to 16 months old. those two or three extra months later for me would throw my whole calving season schedule off....ill say this if you get on a good schedule with your cattle makes life a whole lot simpler ;-)

ALACOWMAN":ruw18l3z said:
keeping my heifers away from the mature cows and on a good plain of nutrition. allows me to have ample growth, on em by 15 to 16 months old. those two or three extra months later for me would throw my whole calving season schedule off.
I don;t understand. Breeding at 15 months would have them calf right at the time they were born. If thy're born during the calving season they would calve during the calving season

dun":2tv9k5mf said:
ALACOWMAN":2tv9k5mf said:
keeping my heifers away from the mature cows and on a good plain of nutrition. allows me to have ample growth, on em by 15 to 16 months old. those two or three extra months later for me would throw my whole calving season schedule off.
I don;t understand. Breeding at 15 months would have them calf right at the time they were born. If thy're born during the calving season they would calve during the calving season
I was sorta explaining my deal to limomike before i seen your post i breed my cows during the mid may through the end of june

ALACOWMAN":2rr1zr7o said:
dun":2rr1zr7o said:
ALACOWMAN":2rr1zr7o said:
I was sorta explaining my deal to limomike before i seen your post i breed my cows during the mid may through the end of june

That's when we breed ours and they calve march and april

Latest posts