we had a farm accident..

Help Support CattleToday:

Seems like everything to do with farming and ranching is dangerous, and accidents happen so quick. Glad he wasn't hurt any worse than a broken arm. Don't be so hard on yourself.

times making it easier as well as seeing it isn't really bothering him much.....but I think about everything a bit diff now

good thing thats all that happened.. could of caught his entire body in there.

I always.. always tell everyone to watch pinch points but its so hard to watch everything and everyone.

sorry to hear about your wife. keep you head up even though its a tough time. Try to stay busy and spend a lot of time with the cows.. they always make me feel better.

Thanks for sharing - it's definitely a reminder to pay attention because accidents can happen in an instant, regardless of whether you're doing everything "right". Gage is lucky to have you as a dad because it's clear you care so deeply!

You can break them walking into McDonald's DB. I did that. Still makes me want to throw up.

We can't be perfect. Can only do our best. He'll treasure the time he gets to spend helping you more than you will know. Glad he's feeling better.

hes ok..im getting there. I know sometimes it happens..don't make it easier to swallow. he got right back into it like it never happened..

Fifteen or twenty years from now your family will be setting around at a gathering and telling stories. Gage has one he can tell. He'll repeat it several times over the years, embellishing it as time goes on.

Today consider it something that happened with a lesson attached. That's it, relax and quit beating yourself up!

hes told so many people that story already I im not sure if hes proud or not. but he doesn't blame me..hes told me that. I blame me...its ok..i don't dwell on things

hope to hear the new version some day!

Like so many ahead of me have said....

stuff happens even to the best of us...

don't keep beating on yourself...and make sure that he learns something out of it like how to take care of himself...

Some things some folks don't seem to know when helping back a trailer.

If the driver of the truck has the window down, it doesn't mean he can hear what you're saying when you're 35' away at the back of the trailer. If the driver can't see you in the mirror he can not see your hand signals.

D2Cat":3t69008d said:
Some things some folks don't seem to know when helping back a trailer.

If the driver of the truck has the window down, it doesn't mean he can hear what you're saying when you're 35' away at the back of the trailer. If the driver can't see you in the mirror he can not see your hand signals.

it is absolutely amazing the number of folks who stand in one spot looking at the target and wave and have no idea if the driver can see them at all. had such a helper just last week...

If i am giving directions :

get to where I can look the driver in the eye in his side mirror...preferably the drivers side mirror.
ideally I like to accomplish step one with my right hand extended straight out sideways and palm on the outside of the target post.
my desire is for the driver to observe this before starting to back....gives them a reference point.
then I can use my left hand to indicate direction and motion...
if I can not do both I will get to where I can be seen and use a cattle stick extended to the target post.
hope the driver knows how to back the rig...
make sure no part of my body is between the rig and the target chute or pen.
pray the driver can control the speed of the vehicle and not knock every thing down....some have great difficulty with this...
not everyone who owns a truck or trailer knows how to operate it. I am not knocking anyone here, but I have had many bad experiences....Just last week I had to back another persons rig to a gate to load two cows because they could not find the gate with the back of the trailer.

thing is for us we had done this many times..gage knows if he isn't making eye contact with me n the mirror I cant see him..
it is funny tho how some people just cant seem to even be a decent helper...I know he knows..thats why it was hard for me to figure out how this happened....

heck ive even got gage where he can back in a trailer. he uses the tractor and can back a 16ft flatbed into a 10 ft wide slot in the barn... I know adults cant do that...

he told me we are still a team..that made me happy...im still a proud daddy!

Years of practice playing 42 pickup if I got the bale wagon backed up wrong taught me really quick how to do it right.. I've got it down pat now, my turn around time is probably about a minute, and a lot of that is waiting on slow hydraulics.

pdfangus, I've seen lots of "professional" drivers that were completely inept.. I've never backed up a 53' trailer on a tractor, but dollars to doughnuts says I'd have run laps around them.. I don't know how I'd do with a B train though..
As for helpers, I do what you do, if you can't see the driver's face in the mirror, he can't see you.

dieselbeef, glad to hear you're still a team

dieselbeef":3bis1bi7 said:
thing is for us we had done this many times..gage knows if he isn't making eye contact with me n the mirror I cant see him..
it is funny tho how some people just cant seem to even be a decent helper...I know he knows..thats why it was hard for me to figure out how this happened....

heck ive even got gage where he can back in a trailer. he uses the tractor and can back a 16ft flatbed into a 10 ft wide slot in the barn... I know adults cant do that...

he told me we are still a team..that made me happy...im still a proud daddy!

he just had a ten year old moment....

heck I still have em sometimes....

DB
That is why they are called accidents. One thing I am certain of is that you didn't need anymore bad to happen. Another thing I am certain of to my very core is that Gage knows his daddy would rather break both arms and legs than to have had him get hurt. Don't beat yourself up.

gizmom

Nesikep":2np8kk8f said:
Years of practice playing 42 pickup if I got the bale wagon backed up wrong taught me really quick how to do it right.. I've got it down pat now, my turn around time is probably about a minute, and a lot of that is waiting on slow hydraulics.

pdfangus, I've seen lots of "professional" drivers that were completely inept.. I've never backed up a 53' trailer on a tractor, but dollars to doughnuts says I'd have run laps around them.. I don't know how I'd do with a B train though..
As for helpers, I do what you do, if you can't see the driver's face in the mirror, he can't see you.

dieselbeef, glad to hear you're still a team

I need some lessons on how to back up a grain - peanut wagon.