We bought a new bull (and other bull pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy":z2rzmu5a said:
Caustic Burno":z2rzmu5a said:
I like Brangus that is one pitful specimen, he is going to have tally wacker problems and his topline stinks.

Just curious, do you have a photo to share of your cattle or a brangus with a good topline? Thanks for your help in advance.

NCM :help:

They have been posted before.

Caustic Burno":a3bq19r4 said:
NewCowboy":a3bq19r4 said:
Caustic Burno":a3bq19r4 said:
I like Brangus that is one pitful specimen, he is going to have tally wacker problems and his topline stinks.

Just curious, do you have a photo to share of your cattle or a brangus with a good topline? Thanks for your help in advance.

NCM :help:

They have been posted before.

Is it under a specific topic? Do you remember what the name was that the photos were posted under to help with our search?

NCM

Caustic,
did that big-headed cow from the salebarn have a calf yet? i want to see it when she does.

Beefy":2c2zkl2a said:
Caustic,
did that big-headed cow from the salebarn have a calf yet? i want to see it when she does.

Nope but when she does it and her are salebarn bound prices have came back good here. Heck I don't know what old huge head Belle is bred to.

NewCowboy":1342xgdw said:
I sure wish someone would post a desireable bull out of their pasture, not an internet photo for us to examine.

2.JPG

This is one of our herd sires. Straight Angus, so he won't be desireable to many, but works well for us. I suppose I'll get some comments about him not being brangusy enough. ;-)

lakading":2kzcjz6r said:
NewCowboy":2kzcjz6r said:
I sure wish someone would post a desireable bull out of their pasture, not an internet photo for us to examine.
This is one of our herd sires. Straight Angus, so he won't be desireable to many, but works well for us. I suppose I'll get some comments about him not being brangusy enough. ;-)

Wow! Nice bull. Thanks for sharing that with me. I like the looks of him just FINE. How old is that bull? Looks pretty mature.

NCM

Caustic Burno":3frpf0nb said:
Beefy":3frpf0nb said:
Caustic,

Nope but when she does it and her are salebarn bound prices have came back good here. Heck I don't know what old huge head Belle is bred to.

i know, i'm planning on toting about 40 yearling heifers to the sale this week if all goes as planned. my money is on a charolais bull. i had a bull calf born that reminded me of your cow the other day. i call him Jughead (or would if i called him) but i've been meaning to ask about the ol' girl ever since then.

lakading":3vbi4nr3 said:
NewCowboy":3vbi4nr3 said:

2.JPG

not bad. not brangusy enough though.

NewCowboy":37zc4wr7 said:
Wow! Nice bull. Thanks for sharing that with me. I like the looks of him just FINE. How old is that bull? Looks pretty mature.

NCM

Thanks. He's 5 in the picture. It was taken last summer.

NewCowboy [quote:1t0c364f said:
You are so right! I did ask for it. I am not offended by the undesirable comments....it is just so funny that so many have such different opinions on what is considered "good cattle". We will either be very happy next year or we will be getting a new bull. Time will tell and since we have other bulls doing the deed for us also, we have time we are willing to spare. My son and I may seem I G N O R A N T on this message board, but rest assured, my husband and stepfather know exactly what they are doing. I am in charge of naming the cattle (ha ha)and deciding what to spend the profits on :lol: :lol: :lol: .....again I say....yeeeeee haaaaaaa :p I sure wish someone would post a desireable bull out of their pasture, not an internet photo for us to examine.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS, GOOD :D AND BAD :( ....

NCM :heart:;-)

There is lots of reasons why people vary in there responses, some people have lower expectations out of a bull, Some want more out of a bull, some people buy $1,000.00 bulls, some buy $5,000.00 bulls. Some know how to pick a good one and some do not. But no matter which one we all fall into, most of us all have an opinion, key is figuring out which ones opinions make sense.

I think the bull looks good from behind, I think he has enough bone to him. But i agree that he is weak topped, and the sheath looks like a problem waiting to happen. Based on these pictures I would believe the people that said he does not look that good. Because anyone should see the weak top and sheath problem.

Maybe at home that thing shrivels up like like a guy taking a cold bath, but in the picture it sure looks like a problem. And Pictures are all we have to base our opinions on.

aplusmnt":13fyq2u9 said:
NewCowboy [quote:13fyq2u9 said:
You are so right! I did ask for it. I am not offended by the undesirable comments....it is just so funny that so many have such different opinions on what is considered "good cattle". We will either be very happy next year or we will be getting a new bull. Time will tell and since we have other bulls doing the deed for us also, we have time we are willing to spare. My son and I may seem I G N O R A N T on this message board, but rest assured, my husband and stepfather know exactly what they are doing. I am in charge of naming the cattle (ha ha)and deciding what to spend the profits on :lol: :lol: :lol: .....again I say....yeeeeee haaaaaaa :p I sure wish someone would post a desireable bull out of their pasture, not an internet photo for us to examine.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS, GOOD :D AND BAD :( ....

NCM :heart:;-)

There is lots of reasons why people vary in there responses, some people have lower expectations out of a bull, Some want more out of a bull, some people buy $1,000.00 bulls, some buy $5,000.00 bulls. Some know how to pick a good one and some do not. But no matter which one we all fall into, most of us all have an opinion, key is figuring out which ones opinions make sense.

I think the bull looks good from behind, I think he has enough bone to him. But i agree that he is weak topped, and the sheath looks like a problem waiting to happen. Based on these pictures I would believe the people that said he does not look that good. Because anyone should see the weak top and sheath problem.

Maybe at home that thing shrivels up like like a guy taking a cold bath, but in the picture it sure looks like a problem. And Pictures are all we have to base our opinions on.

What you say makes good sense.
Thanks for your opinion. Considering the calves he will potentially bring will be sent directly to the stockyard for a quick $ at weaning, we can change him next year if he doesn't suit. There is definitely a difference in how our calves grow out after just a few months depending on what bull serviced them....and like I said in the first few posts, he is guaranteed or we can go pick another one. Can't beat that.

NCM

I think the bull has a decent rear quarter and showing decent depth. I agree with other posts his topline is weak & has too much sheath. Also, which may be a Brangus trait, he slopes way too much for me from Hook to Pin.
I do like the looks of your homegrown better, maybe he wasn't as growthy - can't tell with pics.

lakading":2qoxzyzg said:
NewCowboy":2qoxzyzg said:

2.JPG

That is a good looking bull for a Hachet ass how much did your neighbor charge for letting you take the picture, ;-)

Isn't that topline coming from the brahma in him? NCM, you might wanna look for a Brangus breeder who's got a little less Brahman influence in their cattle if you don't want to worry about those sloping toplines and dragging-the-floor sheaths. JMO.

Caustic Burno":2bake3vj said:
That is a good looking bull for a Hachet ass how much did your neighbor charge for letting you take the picture, ;-)

$25 for a one hour photo shoot. ;-)

Had to bring my own Polaroid.

NewCowboy":3m9b3qy6 said:
Just a quick FYI. We have had seven private messages telling us everything from your bull looks good to I wish I had that bull. They were all positive to our new addition, nothing negative at all. Some had questions.....Don't worry, I won't rat anyone out, but they were not from minimal posters, some were from actual GURU'S......wow, it is amazing how even on a message board, someone can be afraid to express their opinion for fear of being ostracized. I am not afraid to post a photo. Maybe someone could post a photo of a "perfect" bull for all of us to examine....Just my thoughts...... ;-) Yeee haaaaa

NCM :pretty:

If someone doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to brag on your bull on an internet chat board where there are completely hidden from the world you believe what they are saying?
Son I going to give you some fatherly advice I would rather deal with a man that thinks I am a SOB and willing to tell to my face than one that shakes your hand and thinks it. Its better to have one person tell you the truth than ten what you want to hear. Remember the lessons in life that you remember the best were painful or embarrassing.

jaydill":18privfb said:
Isn't that topline coming from the brahma in him? NCM, you might wanna look for a Brangus breeder who's got a little less Brahman influence in their cattle if you don't want to worry about those sloping toplines and dragging-the-floor sheaths. JMO.

Go back and look at the link I posted I have a pasture full of Brammers or brammer crosses you don't see no topline like that.

Caustic Burno":rf7n0mws said:
If someone doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to brag on your bull on an internet chat board where there are completely hidden from the world you believe what they are saying?
Son I going to give you some fatherly advice I would rather deal with a man that thinks I am a SOB and willing to tell to my face than one that shakes your hand and thinks it. Its better to have one person tell you the truth than ten what you want to hear. Remember the lessons in life that you remember the best were painful or embarrassing.

New Cowboy- Pay attention. There is lots of "advice" that is better ignored, but the above quote is some of the best you or anyone else will ever get. You will eventually see that through experience.

Latest posts