water trough

Help Support CattleToday:

Doug in KY

Reaction score
I have to replace some galvanized water troughs. I see some pretty sturdy looking rubber troughs but don't know much about them. Thought I might try a couple and see how they do. Anybody had any experience with them, good of bad?

I have two Rubbermaid 100 or 150 gal troughs that are several years old. I have no complaints and if I need to buy another today would buy another Rubbermaid first over another unknown or cheaper brand.

I have some of those hard Rubbermaid ones also. Haven't had any problems with them. Also have some of the really big blue ones that could be used for a kids swimming pool and haven't had any problems with them either. I did find out that the big blue ones aren't good for squirrels in a drought.

Phil in Tupelo":7o1ao79a said:
I have two Rubbermaid 100 or 150 gal troughs that are several years old. I have no complaints and if I need to buy another today would buy another Rubbermaid first over another unknown or cheaper brand.

We have probably a half dozen of the RM 100 and 150 gallon tanks. We use them for water, liquid supllemtn when the hay is crap during the winter, no complaints, no problems. Avoid the 300 gallon size unless you have a need to water a lot of cows at once and have a very fats fill rate. When the tank gets low the cows like to step in them to reach the bottom on the other side, never have figured out why. They can over time crack the bottom by their wanderings in the tank

Ditto what they said. We have 5 or 6 of the 100 gallon Rubbermaid tanks. One of them is 6 years old and still going strong.

The Rubbermaid ones are great, have several and will buy more. Have them at leases that I only check once or twice a week and they work fine. I don't like the galvanized ones as they will over time rust and leak.

I just installed 3 rubbermade's and so far so good.
They make a rubbermade float that fits on them nicely after drilling two holes.
The non-rubbermade float required me to do some fancy carving with my pocket knife to get it to fit.
Good luck.

I think we still have an older Rubbermaid tank laying around here.. the thing I didn't like about them is the water gets more stagnant here in the heat of the south. We now have concrete water troughs which are excellent, and will last longer than I will.

Crowderfarms":234g1szw said:
Put in a Ritchie brand Fount, and be done with it.

Been thinking about doing just that Crowder. Will the floats on those cut off with pressures of around 75 psi?

I hate those Rubbermaids. The oval ones go "round" on me and leak in the low places. Hate 'em.

Metal ones stay together but rust out too fast.

Seems like it would be better to not have a tank anyway. The water from a smaller trough would stay cooler????????????

MikeC":2a10szbc said:
Crowderfarms":2a10szbc said:
Put in a Ritchie brand Fount, and be done with it.

Been thinking about doing just that Crowder. Will the floats on those cut off with pressures of around 75 psi?

I hate those Rubbermaids. The oval ones go "round" on me and leak in the low places. Hate 'em.

Metal ones stay together but rust out too fast.

Seems like it would be better to not have a tank anyway. The water from a smaller trough would stay cooler????????????
We put in 3 CT2000 Ritchies, and they get the job done. With Cattle consistently drinking from the source, there is no Algae growing, etc. it's in other words a constant flow of fresh Water going into the waterer.I have the pump from the well set at 60 Lbs. no problems whatsoever. BTW, Uncle Sam helped me pay for 75% of the costs.Beats some foreigner getting a handout. Dont it?

I have a Rubbermaid 100 Gallon trough for my horses and I have no complaints. I think they are one of the best trough you can buy because for number one the dont rust and cant be dented and all that stuff.

MikeC and Crowder,

I have the Fountain waters made by Behlen. Even in this 95 degree heat the water is cool. Another good thing is that I can drive through the pasture and from 100 yards or more away, tell that the fountain is full by the red balls that float to the top and are visible above the top.

I don't think I will ever go back to a regular water trough.

We use army surplus ammo crates for water troughs (they'll hold about 250 gals each) with floats. They're cheap, but not so easy to come by. Disad is that you can't use floats in the winter.

I've used both metal and RM and definitely prefer the RM. Would easily buy more in the future.

GANGGREEN":3of45jd7 said:
Mr. Crowder, I'm curious what government program helped to pay for the troughs as I'll be purchasing some troughs soon. Thanks.
We went with the NRCS Program.You may want to check with your local FSA office or Extension office and see what programs are available in your area.

Latest posts