water in tires question

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2

Reaction score
On my Case 485 with FEL I use a 7' wide cross cut disc that I would guess weighs in at 2-3k. Its rated for 100 hp tractors but the case will pull it if not going to deep. My other main use is for counter weight when using the ratchet rake on my FEL for clearing brush. I have the front tires foam filled and have slime in the rears. I would like to have more ballast when not hooked to the disc and just using the FEL. I am thinking about adding water to the rears and in conversation with my father he brought up the point that when using the disc for weight, the combo may be to much weight and cause potential breaking issues in the planetary etc on the rear. I do not se it being an issue myself but I would like to see what the brain trust here thinks. I am basically using it like a little bull dozer when doing this type of work.

the weight in the tires wouldn't directly affect the load on the bearings, etc, but the added traction will be harder on everything..
If you have a truck service shop in the area I'd recommend using antifreeze, not just for the antifreeze but for the anti corrosion properties.. it could be fairly weak stuff

I got a 30 gallon drum ran a draw bar through it and filled it with concrete.
You have the extra ballast when needed and it sits close to the tractor as well.
When you don't it's parked with the other implements.

Calcium is standard in tractor tires here. Heavier than water and doesn't freeze until it gets really cold. Just be sure to use tubes, you don't want that stuff corroding your rims.

What size tires? Look up the volume and from there you can see how much weight that you're dealing with.

Personally I doubt you would have a problem.

Antifreeze and water are something around 8lbs per gallon. Calcium is around 11.

pricefarm":20qj4do7 said:
skyhightree1":20qj4do7 said:
millstreaminn":20qj4do7 said:
I bought a tractor from Tennessee. Tires were loaded with windshield washer fluid.

That's what I use

Have used that as well. You can get it for 1$ per gal about the cheapest thing to use.

Yes sir and you gotta pay attention and get the winter version if it freezes in your area or add antifreeze to the mix

Latest posts