Watching the sunset?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I rotated my Herefords into a fresh pasture earlier this month. Ever since they seem to gather near one hillside spot and watch the sunset every evening! Most seem to face the sun - except for my bull who just seems to tag along with his girls.

This hot weather has grass bolting to seed very quickly. It is almost impossible to catch the pastures in full vegetative stage. It also points out the benefits of Knersie's eyeset criteria with all the seedheads.

Here are a couple pictures. The spring calves are really growing. I haven't weighed them recently but looking forward to running them over the scale.

Moving into fresh pasture
IMG_0532_movingintofreshtallerpasture070511.jpg

Evening gathering to watch the sunset
IMG_0605_Watchingthesunset070911.jpg

Jim

That's one of my favorite things to if I get done with screeching else. It's nice some times to take a break in the pasture with the cows and watch the sun set on there backs.

Oddly I got to enjoy more of that when I was another mans cowboy because I was with the cows all the time. Mornings and evenings setting on a good horse sucking on a Marlboro and watching the cows and the sunrise or sunset was some of the best time of my life. Was good enough that I only remember a few of the awful weather days spent doing the same thing and fondly recall the good ones.
Now I got so much work to do that the only way I can enjoy life is to make an appointment and take the horse off somewhere and to ride with a friend cause I don't have time to ride at home.

I feel your pain. I'm the same way between working a full time job in town. I'm also trying to suck it up and make it through my last year of cutting residential yards. And on top of all that I'm working on the farm keeping everything running and trying to get the hay done its been a busy summer to say the least.

I try to make time for a sun downer (or two) when it goes over the trees. It is even better than when the sun comes up at 5:15 AM over a cup of coffee. :D

And the white faces would reflect solar radiation and heat more than the darker rear end.

These cows are probably sneaking in a physics class when you're not looking!

Latest posts