washing show cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
this year has been pretty hard for all of us, especially keeping cattle clean. What is the best way to get heavy dried manure off there coats? we where told wd40 helps a lot but not sure that is the healthiest choice. what do you use besides plenty of water? thanks

Used engine or hydro oil in a fogger bottle let it soak in the dried mud and manure, then rinse use your favorite cheap liquid laundry detergent to get the oil out. Condition heavily afterward. It won't get it all but will reduce the scrubbing, skin irritation and hair loss.

BryanM":kd7mpyp6 said:
this year has been pretty hard for all of us, especially keeping cattle clean. What is the best way to get heavy dried manure off there coats? we where told wd40 helps a lot but not sure that is the healthiest choice. what do you use besides plenty of water? thanks
Try putting liquid fab softener in a spray bottle. (Such as Downey) Spray it on and let sit for a bit then wash off. Might be a little safer than wd40. :D

Beautiful picture TT!

I have an idea I'm going to have to try before I suggest it... it may lead to a rodeo... Aww heck.. has anyone tried a pressure washer with warm water?... some even have soap injectors.. you wouldn't want a super-power one, but the typical electric simoniz ones from wal mart... I will be trying it.. heck, if my cows stretch their necks out for noisy clipper they might be up for that too.

Try Sullivan Supply's Hocus Pocus. Spray it on, let it sit for a couple minutes, then hose em down. Should come out pretty easy, plus it has their special "vita hair" (or something like that) to help keep the hair healthy. Doesn't cause flaking or irritation of any kind!

we used to use the water hose with a pressure nozzle on it to wash show cattle.an bleach in water to get the grass an manure stains outta their legs.an dish soap to wash them.

I have always been told the easiest way to keep a cow clean is to not let them get dirty in the first place, of course that is a lot easier for a dairy animal than a beef because you are handling them everyday. We have had good luck with a cattle foamer, you leave them sit with the foamed shampoo on and then with some elbow grease and a curry comb it comes off pretty good. We have also had good luck with orvus soap, and we use vetrolin white and bright to clean white coats but it adds sheen to black too.

Hocus-pocus is a lot harsher than WD-40, we used WD-40 or and it worked great. We buy the gallon can and use a spray bottle to apply. Put it on the mud balls, let it set for about ½ hour to an hour then try and loosen them up by hand, rinse the animal. Repeat daily until there gone. If you are concerned about the oil wash the areas you used the WD-40 on with Dawn dish soap.

If you are concerned with the skin getting irritated, spray Revive on the treated area after washing, that should help keep the hide hydrated.

ron p":auuy32t8 said:
WD 40 has dmso in it...
Haven't read the ingredients, but if this is true it would not be good! Means it would draw the chemicals into the animal I believe............

The MSDS does not list DMSO or the CAS number for DMSO; I would have to believe then that it does not have DMSO in it. It is listed as a skin irritant, like all most all products, is not toxic. Just curios where did you hear it had DMSO?

From a medical doctor...I had no reason to doubt him...and grandpa swore by it and used it on his knees...

It's not a problem we have much, but we've used WD40 to break down/wash out adhesives and paint in the past with no ill effects. If you're worried about it being too harsh use final bloom or pink oil from your show supply dealer or go to your local Wal-Mart (or wherever) and pick up some pink spray oil from the ethnic hair care section. There's also an olive oil based spray in a green can that works well too.

Latest posts