Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

32Paws

Reaction score
I am having a time with warts on my cows. I have tried the vaccinations, topical cream, pinching them, taking them off nothing works. Does anyone have any proven luck getting rid of warts? How can I prevent them in my other cows?

First off, :welcome: to CT!

As mentioned above, Patience does work every time! You said that you have tried vaccines... I am curious if you got the vaccine at the vet or someplace else? We have had really good look with vaccines from the vet when treating for warts. Typically it involves an initial shot with a follow-up in a week or two (can't remember off the top of my head).

Best of luck to you!

Put out some good mineral supplement (not salt blocks) and then wait patiently. If you get their immune systems as strong as you can it will keep it to a minimum.

The old wives tale is to pull the wart off and feed it back to the cow. I asked our vet about that a few years ago and he laughed at the idea. This spring he was out to do a BSE on our bull. The bull had a number of large warts. The vet pulled one off, popped it in a pill gun and down the bulls throat. A few weeks later the bull was wart free. Now, maybe he would have been wart free in a few weeks anyway but we didn't do that to the heifers and they still have some warts.

I had a problem last year gave a shot I got from my vet to one cow that had them very bad, then put out good mineral,bag mineral ,and every thing else cleared up.

Usually a combination of warmer weather and better nutrition clears it up fast, if not patience will still do the job.

KNERSIE":298pevn6 said:
Usually a combination of warmer weather and better nutrition clears it up fast, if not patience will still do the job.
The cow I had that was so bad was in Aug.when our weather had been well over 100 for several days. Several of you all keep saying "patience" I think it dependes on how bad they are , this cow was covered from above her knees down plus some on her sholders they were starting to bleed she looked bad . I had seen some at the salebarn over the years with warts but none like this ,some were as big as my hand.A few small warts try patience but if its like the one I had its time to go to the vet. I will see if I still have the pictures on my camera I took pics and was going to try to put them on here to see if anyone has ever seen such a bad case of warts but never did . I always have trouble loading pictures we'll see ?

I've only ever seen warts on young stock, typically after weaning and before they turn 2. Can't think of any mature cows I've ever come across with warts.

i got a steer about 16 mos old got a bunch on his face and neck. i got about 10 of em crushed with some pliers. ill let ya know. been a week so far...the ones i crushed are gone...

I had a heifer I bought get eat up with warts once. Never seen such a case of warts on the face. They left.

The cow I have that got them real bad was just under 3 yrs old with a 400lb calf that never got a wart,I thought that was kind of odd. 2 other calves did get some but not real bad. This cow had them and it looked like there was warts on top of warts I never seen anything like it and the vet must not have either cause he had another vet that works with him take a look also. They cut some off to check them and said it was warts ???

Have had a few that had warts bad and they didn't want to go away.
The first line of defense like it was mentioned earlier ,is nutrition.
The big warts that didn't want to go away,
We put elastrator rubber bands on some of them, and the large ones we couldn't get a band on, we tied off with a slip knot and fishing line. When they fell off we put some iodine on the wart stump to discourage them re-growing. Warts don't usually like iodine much..

I attend 2-3 auctions per week and sometimes a calf with a LOT of warts will come in the ring and no one wants to buy it. Have bought several of these over the years and had good results. I just cut/pull all the warts off and over the next month or so they heal up and go away. On the worst one, who had a couple that were the size of a tennis ball and several dozen smaller ones, it took about 2 months for her to heal up and look ok. BTW-she had a lot of blood dripping when I was finished and it took about 20 minutes of pulling/cutting. Looked awful but fortunately they don't seems to feel much.

It is my understanding that the pulling/cutting/bleeding allows the wart virus to get into their bloodstream and their immune system will then start to attack and kill the virus.

Have a stocker calf every now and then that will have a few small warts show up but go away in a month or so. None have ever gotten bad enough to do anything about.

we had some come upon on a couple of young heifers our vet told us cut them off and feed them back to them we did this and sure enough they went away. This was 4 yrs ago and everytime I see warts we do the same thing and they go away everytime.

Latest posts