Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
A couple of my feeder calves have developed several warts on them. I really don't want this spreading to the rest of the heard. Everything that I have read/been told is that these should go away once they develop a resistance to them. Are there any treatments that work? I know there are vaccines but seems like once they have the warts then it would be to late. Any suggestions?

Autogenous (made from animals own warts) vaccines are made to stimulate the immune response to get rid of the warts. Sometimes cutting a couple off stirs things up and they disappear. Ones with a narrow base can have a bit of fishing line tied around. I have also heard of caster oil being used.
But I think most treatments buy a bit of time until they disappear themselves.
Ken

What Ken said . :nod:
Also once they have an immunity they will not get them again . The odd case I have gotten I just let it run it's course . Unless it is a show animal, then we have taken a pair of pliers ad crushed a few warts ,they quickly disappeared.

I was helping a guy a while back that had some warts on some heifers.

He told me we were going to cut some of them off and feed it to them. We took a scaple and cut 4 or 5 off and used a bolis gun to feed them to the heifers. Within a few weeks the warts started drying up.

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't help him.

Worth a try!!!!

deenranch":6eg10o97 said:
I was helping a guy a while back that had some warts on some heifers.

He told me we were going to cut some of them off and feed it to them. We took a scaple and cut 4 or 5 off and used a bolis gun to feed them to the heifers. Within a few weeks the warts started drying up.

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't help him.

Worth a try!!!!
The feeding them to the animal doesn;t do anything but dispose of them. It's the cutting/crushing of them that stimulates the immune system.
The feeding of them is one of those OWTs that's been around forever. Doesn;t hurt but doesn;t do anything either.
You get the same affect by cutting them off and wrapping them in an old dish rag and burying them under your cousins neighbors parents porch.

Hi folks, we had a weaner which we nick named Warty for the very obvious reason....Our vet said to get the scalpel and cut a few. My daughter and I sat on both sides of the crush and trimmed a few away.We did this for about half an hour and in only a few weeks he is almost completely clear of warts now. I can't believe it. Of course we now have another one to sit down with and cut a few more off. It would be good if that worked as well for us humans.

Warts can drive you nuts - if you let them. Ignore them and they'll go away. Had a heifer eat up with warts about 6 years back. She's had several nice calves and you couldn't tell she ever had any kind of affliction.

Latest posts