WARNING! Know Your Hay & The Supplier.

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Buying hay is always a crap shoot, unless you know for sure about its origin and quality.

Two, 2.5 years ago we were needing hay and our regular contacts around here couldn't supply the quality we needed. We went to a supplier in a neighboring State (Not Okla). The first load was fine. We ordered additional loads. When cattle started having problems with condition, we tested hay and it was in the 5 to 8% protein level. We had to supplement with local alfalfa.

Several months later our #1 Stallion started losing condition, developed allergies, etc. Had him tested. Nothing showed up. After losing more weight, took him to a major Equine Hosp for thorough evaluation. Not much found, except possibly not "utilizing" the hay. Later, had couple of cows die rather quickly. Then, one of our bulls started having problems. Later, a mare went blind and lost condition. None of other animals had problems. Took stallion to another Equine hosp. They found probably cancer and mass around his heart. Ran some other tests (and we did some of our own research).

We discovered that this hay supplier had allegedly acquired "his" hay for resale from a producer that had applied a toxic herbicide to the hay crop and didn't wait the needed period of time before baling the hay. Our animals that died were highly suspect by lab tests, etc., to have had a high sensitivity to that herbicide and there was nothing that could be done to save them.

Ultimately the bull in question recovered with good hay. However, both the Stallion and that mare had to be put down...no matter how much they ate they couldn't maintain weight. The mare went blind. The stallion last month was blind in one eye, significant weight loss, was becoming ataxic and had to be put down.

The ultimate caveat: Know your hay supplier and how they grow their hay!

Since then, we found a very good supplier in our region who is honest and is a livestock person. Protein levels are high, and pre-emergents are not used.

Bill

I am so sorry to hear Bill.

We are a hay supplier and do not use poisons over our paddocks when we plough. That does mean that we grow grassy lucerne (alfalfa) instead of pure lucerne, but that is actually better for horses.

We do have third party so if anything happens that is our fault, ie cattle getting out on the road and harming someone, or our hay killing a herd of our customers or something else you can think of we are covered by insurance.

Also do you own testing on every load of hay. Never use the test shown to you by the seller. Negotiate hay price based on quality of hay.

I got rid of all these type problems when I quit buying hay. Of course I traded that set of problems for a whole nother set. :bang:

TexasBred":2qrdmt4f said:
Also do you own testing on every load of hay. Never use the test shown to you by the seller. Negotiate hay price based on quality of hay.
:nod: guess how I know that to be true. :bang:

I am so tired of people selling hay telling me how much fertilizer that they put on it on it. When the fertilizer was never put in the spreader. they always add on $10 to !5 dollars a roll to cover their cost.When they didn't have any extra cost. This is nothing but price gouging. Then you think you are feeding fertilizer hay The sellers are laughing all the way to the bank with your extra money It is a shame that they can steal from you like that.
Blue goose 1

I am so tired of people selling hay telling me how much fertilizer that they put on it on it. When the fertilizer was never put in the spreader. they always add on $10 to !5 dollars a roll to cover their cost.When they didn't have any extra cost. This is nothing but price gouging. Then you think you are feeding fertilizer hay The sellers are laughing all the way to the bank with your extra money It is a shame that they can steal from you like that.
Blue goose 1

The "Devil's Advocate" Definitions: (Just joking folks...or, ?)

Fertilized Hay: Yes, we put 1 lb nitrogen on field (or) the cattle crapped on the grass.
Weed Free: We removed three weeds from the field.
Irrigated Hay: It rained last year.
Horse Quality Hay: We had one horse that ate the hay (it was very hungry...).
New Growth Hay: Last year's hay that we didn't cut.
Barn Stored Hay: We store "our" hay in born (your's was left outside).
We Tested Our Hay: Did we? I forgot...
Bales Average 1,500 lbs: We weighed 5 of our largest bales.
Mold Free Hay: The ones we baled yesterday.
Excellent Horse Hay: Cattle Hay Cost + 50%.

:lol: :banana:

Running Arrow Bill":e85qadll said:
The "Devil's Advocate" Definitions: (Just joking folks...or, ?)

Fertilized Hay: Yes, we put 1 lb nitrogen on field (or) the cattle crapped on the grass.
Weed Free: We removed three weeds from the field.
Irrigated Hay: It rained last year.
Horse Quality Hay: We had one horse that ate the hay (it was very hungry...).
New Growth Hay: Last year's hay that we didn't cut.
Barn Stored Hay: We store "our" hay in born (your's was left outside).
We Tested Our Hay: Did we? I forgot...
Bales Average 1,500 lbs: We weighed 5 of our largest bales.
Mold Free Hay: The ones we baled yesterday.
Excellent Horse Hay: Cattle Hay Cost + 50%.

:lol: :banana:
:lol: and without rain soon many will be glad to get it.

You can always drop 30 grand in a baler, 10 grand and up on a good cutter, along with 10 in rakes, tedders. Better get an extra tractor or two to save your back from swaping implements back and forth, become a dam good mechanic cause that baler is going to break down. Almost forgot your going to need a 30 foot float and truck to move your equipment from field to field as well as haul hay. Positive note you will be on a first name basis with your local fuel supplier and parts man. With all that gone I just smiled as the custom baler cut both my fields yesterday, worth every penny.

Caustic Burno":vf0s6g45 said:
You can always drop 30 grand in a baler, 10 grand and up on a good cutter, along with 10 in rakes, tedders. Better get an extra tractor or two to save your back from swaping implements back and forth, become a dam good mechanic cause that baler is going to break down. Almost forgot your going to need a 30 foot float and truck to move your equipment from field to field as well as haul hay. Positive note you will be on a first name basis with your local fuel supplier and parts man. With all that gone I just smiled as the custom baler cut both my fields yesterday, worth every penny.

Someone that finally gets it ;-)

Suzie Q":1ok3zkzk said:
Suzie Q":1ok3zkzk said:
CB you forgot the huge shed you need to keep the hay dry before you sell it.

Oh and I forgot to mention all your sheds you need to keep your equipment out of the weather.

Yep mine are half empty now I sold all my hay equipment. One of the reasons I would never bale other peoples hay you could never make them happy. Roll up to somebodies place with a 150,000 in equipment they would gripe about the rolls to loose, to tight,are you sure thats a 4x5, how come you didn't come yesterday and so on and so on. They could sit in the house and watch a soap opera and tell you all about the hay business. They just had a hard time when it came time to break a sweat. Never sold hay either didn't want to listen to the complaining. I have given it to neighbors in jam, even baled their fields for free when they were broke down. If you don't like the hay you buy put in your own hay fields but that cost money. I don't know what I am going to do with the hay since I sold down to 12 cows, got 66 rolls left over from last year. Looks to be 30 to 40 on the ground right now will know tomorrow.

Us to, plus the fact that they say that their paddocks are clean and then you find that there is wire down and has damaged your machinery or whatever.

We actually only sell to one customer. Which is a bad thing to do business wise, but they appreciate what we make. You always try to make the perfect bale, but mother nature does her best to not let you.

Recently we have sold to a couple of friends who actually come and help us bale. We give them hay for helping and they have come back and bought some as well.

Yes they sit in front of the TV, while you cut and rake during the day and then have to bale at night. A walking zombie with no sleep.

We do bale for our right next door neighbour and they do our horses hooves for free.

I don't know what I am going to do with the hay since I sold down to 12 cows, got 66 rolls left over from last year. Looks to be 30 to 40 on the ground right now will know tomorrow.

CB, my daddy always said extra hay was like money in the bank. In that case, your a wealthy man right now! ;-)

Given the current weather conditions, I would hang on to that hay and enjoy not worrying about what I was going to be feeding my gals this winter....or earlier. That's what we've done since we sold down in the spring of '09 after the wildfires here.

Latest posts