Warning: Don't get knocked sensless like I did...

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Just a word of warning to beginners. Watch out at all times when working with your cattle. They may not mean to hurt you but can hurt you bad just by accident. Saturday I was putting some antiseptic on a cut that my bull had got on his back. He was in an alley and I was standing on a side step that I built along side so that I can reach them better. Anyway the cut was on the far side of his back so I was leaning over to spray it on the cut when a horse fly landed right behind his whithers. I though nothing of it until he slung his head back to dislodge the biting fly.Needless to say I was knocked up in the air and fell down into the alley with the bull. :eek: Fortunatley for me my bull is very easy going and he stood statue still until I was able to come to my senses and roll out from under the chute. I built it high enough for just such an emergency. After the stars cleared from my vision and I got over the shock I finished doctoring him from the correct side and let him loose. I paid the price by not following my number one rule......always always pay attention to detail and never put myself into a position where I could get seriously hurt especially when dealing with bulls. Today my head still hurts and I am sore all over. When an 1800 pound bull hits with that much force just trying to scare a horse fly it is scary to think how it would be if he was trying to hurt me.

HOSS":vm6n9dv3 said:
Just a word of warning to beginners. Watch out at all times when working with your cattle. They may not mean to hurt you but can hurt you bad just by accident. Saturday I was putting some antiseptic on a cut that my bull had got on his back. He was in an alley and I was standing on a side step that I built along side so that I can reach them better. Anyway the cut was on the far side of his back so I was leaning over to spray it on the cut when a horse fly landed right behind his whithers. I though nothing of it until he slung his head back to dislodge the biting fly.Needless to say I was knocked up in the air and fell down into the alley with the bull. :eek: Fortunatley for me my bull is very easy going and he stood statue still until I was able to come to my senses and roll out from under the chute. I built it high enough for just such an emergency. After the stars cleared from my vision and I got over the shock I finished doctoring him from the correct side and let him loose. I paid the price by not following my number one rule......always always pay attention to detail and never put myself into a position where I could get seriously hurt especially when dealing with bulls. Today my head still hurts and I am sore all over. When an 1800 pound bull hits with that much force just trying to scare a horse fly it is scary to think how it would be if he was trying to hurt me.

Good advice I have been hurt more times by gentle cattle than the wild ones from letting my guard down.

It sounds like you need to spend a day or two in the AC untill you recover. You were lucky to get out from under that bull. I can't roll out of my chute. Humm makes one think?

HOSS":25krn5ff said:
Just a word of warning to beginners.

When an 1800 pound bull hits with that much force just trying to scare a horse fly it is scary to think how it would be if he was trying to hurt me.

Good post HOSS, but you don't need to say just beginners. We all forget sometimes how powerful these animals are, and how quick it can happen.

And if your bull ever looks like he is trying to hurt you, he is not. He is trying to KILL you! :lol:

Glad to hear you are OK.

alabama":1zhw4me2 said:
It sounds like you need to spend a day or two in the AC untill you recover. You were lucky to get out from under that bull. I can't roll out of my chute. Humm makes one think?

Alabama, I built a separate chute just for bulls. A little stronger, wider and with an escape route. I have a fear of being trampled.

Funny thing..... this spring I was putting in a cross fence and sat down under a tree to eat a sandwich and the breeze was so nice I fell asleep. I felt something tugging on my hat bill and when I looked up my herd bull was standing right in front of me and he had his big ol' tongue sticking out licking my hat bill. His big feet were within inches of my lap :shock: I never heard him walk up. I slowly pushed him back by his nose and stood up and went back to work. He had that "got ya" look on his face. If he could have laughed at me he would have.

While the following is true...the sad fact is I didn't know enough at the time to even know any better... :oops:

My brother-in-law was going to be out of town and asked me to doctor a REALLY sick calf...about a 400 pounder...for him while he was away. Alice was gone that morning and I found the calf lying out in the pasture. I walked up and he didn't even move or even turn his head to acknowledge I was there.

Hey, this is going to be real easy... :shock: Leaned over him and stuck him with a shot...that booger came up off the ground like he was spring loaded, hitting me square in the chest. My feet were at tweleve o'clock when my often hard head hit the rocky ground. I truly thought I was headed for darkness...lied there for about 5 minutes and finally made it up and back to the house...it could have been really bad if I had been seriously injured as it was hours before anyone returned to the farm.

Won't do that again... :roll:

Van

Mine don't get doctored very much unless I just happen to see something that I don't think nature will take care of by itself. When I do doctor one I put it in the squeeze chute regardless of how tame it is. Seems to me the tame ones don't expect the pain of a needle or whatever and more often than not get rowdy.

As far a calves go, I have probably been hurt 20X more by calves than any bull/cows. Probably because I have to get up close and personal with them.

Amazing how hard it is to get your foot out from under a hoof when one of the gentle cows won't move.
Can't immagine what ran through Hoss's mind when he saw that bull's hoof.....guys just wince when they think about it.
DMc

Susie David":1l6i6z84 said:
Amazing how hard it is to get your foot out from under a hoof when one of the gentle cows won't move.
Can't immagine what ran through Hoss's mind when he saw that bull's hoof.....guys just wince when they think about it.
DMc

Shrivel factor and......don't make no sudden moves ;-)

Latest posts