want to buy bottle heifer calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
I'm looking for a bottle feed holstein or guernsey heifer calf. I'm trying to stay away from the auction barn and would like to buy one or two direct from someone for a milk cow. Possibly bull calfs since I'm getting up early anyway. I live in central Texas and wouldn't mind traveling a couple of hours. I've seen some posts about Stephenville having alot of dairy farms and that isn't very far for me to travel.

Walt

I was at the sale Monday. I saw a baby jersey heifer calf sell for $290. The holstein baby heifer calves went for around $400...and there weren't very many of them. It's gonna be really hard to find a dairyman who will sell you one for less than that, I'm afraid. In fact, to get one from a dairy, you'd pay way more, if you could find a dairyman that would even sell you one.

And, the prices are way down. I've seen baby holstein heifers go for over $600 at the sale...and that was just 6 months ago.

Alice

I was just saying if I bought one or two heifer calves I might go ahead and buy a couple of bull calves too since I'm getting up early anyway to bottle feed them. I figure bottle feeding a couple more wouldn't be much harder. I'll probably end up going to the sale and see If I can buy a Jersey Hiefer calf. They seem to be a bit higher than I was anticipating. Someone on another thread recommended the Jersey.

Walt

Have you ever bottle fed a baby bought at the sale barn? If you haven't, then you need to be prepared to lose the high dollars your are gonna pay for the heifer calf. I'm not saying you WILL lose it, but I am saying you need to be prepared.

I know this sounds like the voice of doom and gloom, but just keep it in the back of your mind.

Alice

Chances are that if you find a dairy heifer to bottle raise at an auction barn, it may have a problem. It may be a free martin or have health issues.

Most dairy farmers keep the heifers as replacements or sell them private treaty than at the auction.

Plan on spending several hundred dollars (the $400 mentioned was a reasonable price). Even a beef orphan heifer calves are bringing over $170. at the auction barns.

The last Jersey that I bought was $500. from a dairy.

My BIL has a dairy.

I would like to have a jersey or holstein cow some day but I think I'll wait till I can buy a cow instead of a bottle calf. Thanks for the advice!

Walt

You are more than welcome! And, btw...good choice!

Alice

Latest posts