Walking in Memphis

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to drive to Memhis each night, then I would travel back and forth from the terminal to the railroad about 4 or 5 times a night at some point in my career. I would drive down Winchester or East Brooks and make a right on New Horn Lake Rd. Or go to Harvard Yard in Arkansas. People would be walking back and forth across the street. Then people would pass me from the far left lane, straight across to the right lane, everyone to the get off ramp. I would pass strip joints, liquor stores and Quick Stops. It is the most horrible driving I have ever seen there.

Then the next day on the way back to Memphis, I would hear where someone was run over and killed on the same road I was driving. Or someone was shot at an intersection I stopped at half a dozen times and they found them beside a bush beside a light pole, and I had passed it a bunch of times. Someone had been shot in the Quick Stop. I would wonder if the person was dead every time I had passed the stop sign that night. This was a regular occurrence. I got so used to hearing it, that it was like listening to a TV show. But I never saw any of it happen. I would be bobtailing and I would see two or three people starting to cross the street where I was in traffic as I was sitting in a day cab. (Lots of car jacking) I always wondered what I would do if......

People were getting busted in the back of the head at the RR station and people trying to steal their trucks because they were sleeping over there.

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not trying to be negative at all. :lol2: Ya'll go and have a big time, and enjoy yourself.

Myself,
I would drive through Memphis to get to another town or city, but that is it. Downtown everything is covered in bars, and every street looks like a war zone with potholes.

Chuckie":q9fc63q4 said:
I used to drive to Memhis each night, then I would travel back and forth from the terminal to the railroad about 4 or 5 times a night at some point in my career. I would drive down Winchester or East Brooks and make a right on New Horn Lake Rd. Or go to Harvard Yard in Arkansas. People would be walking back and forth across the street. Then people would pass me from the far left lane, straight across to the right lane, everyone to the get off ramp. I would pass strip joints, liquor stores and Quick Stops. It is the most horrible driving I have ever seen there.

Then the next day on the way back to Memphis, I would hear where someone was run over and killed on the same road I was driving. Or someone was shot at an intersection I stopped at half a dozen times and they found them beside a bush beside a light pole, and I had passed it a bunch of times. Someone had been shot in the Quick Stop. I would wonder if the person was dead every time I had passed the stop sign that night. This was a regular occurrence. I got so used to hearing it, that it was like listening to a TV show. But I never saw any of it happen. I would be bobtailing and I would see two or three people starting to cross the street where I was in traffic as I was sitting in a day cab. (Lots of car jacking) I always wondered what I would do if......

People were getting busted in the back of the head at the RR station and people trying to steal their trucks because they were sleeping over there.

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not trying to be negative at all. :lol2: Ya'll go and have a big time, and enjoy yourself.

Myself,
I would drive through Memphis to get to another town or city, but that is it. Downtown everything is covered in bars, and every street looks like a war zone with potholes.
But, but, but.....it's been run by dems all these years. What could be so bad about it? Why just look at Detroit and Chicago, they are perfect examples of why its so good. All dem run, has to be the way to go.

Don't get me started!!!!!!!!!
If God ever decides to give the Earth an enema he'll stick the hose in Memphis Tenn.

I always liked the fact that Memphis had a mayor, then they elected a mayor for shelby county. Then the people in Memphis wanted to know why they had to go and do that?

I was watching the news one night several years ago, and the city council in Memphis had met over a neighborhood wanting to put up a fence around their houses. The neighborhood was going to pay for the fence themselves because they were getting broke into a couple times a week. It was a nice neighborhood with manicured lawns and the houses were taken care of.
I remember the news crew standing outside of the city council and asking questions as they came filing out. One of the city council members was on up in years, and they ask her what she thought about the people wanting to pay for their own fence. She said, "I think it was just a bunch of upity rich white folks trying to keep black people from getting in their neighborhood!" :shock: So, they refused to let these people put up a fence around their neighborhood while every thing else in Memphis is fenced or barred. Go figure that.
Is Willie Harrington still the mayor of Memphis now?

IIRC this isn't the first Memphis bashing I've heard on here... I remember quite some time ago there were other horror stories about Memphis

Flew into the Memphis airport a couple of times in the last few months. Dead. No one there.

Nesikep":3uyzb62j said:
IIRC this isn't the first Memphis bashing I've heard on here... I remember quite some time ago there were other horror stories about Memphis

Thats the only kind of storiesnive ever heard about it is horror stories. When i go through I go ahead and put my piston in my lap or on the middle console of my truck and im constantly watching.

Angus Cowman":3im8m5yt said:
jedstivers":3im8m5yt said:
I thought that was the old Hollywood in Tunica co. Ms. Looks like it.
All those shacks were either in Ms or Ar.
It is I googled it and it says the one the song is describing is the one in Tunica or actually Robinsonville, MS
It is ,ex wife had a vetenary siminar in Tunica few years back and we went to the Hollywood for supper...good food.. its a old store building kinda left like it.they told a about this video being done there.

Everybody else has a piston in their lap too.
I worked 12 hours a day back then, and it was 2 hours to Memphis and 2 hours back home. So I was up and down the road, down town all night long. I remember cutting through Walnut Grove towards Germantown and stopping at the Big K Store because it would probably be safer. After I had been in the store and picked up something to eat, I was sitting there, a pick up pulls up real fast to the front of the store, a guy jumps out of the truck, and grabs about 10 of the stacked lawn chairs and throws them in the bed of the truck. It was an old truck, dark green and the hood was a primer colored. It was a step side and both fenders had primer on those too. So easy to spot. I got part of the license plate, and as the truck flew out of the long parking lot, they pulled out into the lanes. A police car was coming up behind them and stopped them. Just about that time, the people from K Mart come out and they knew that someone had ripped off their chairs and are looking around the front of the building, but I could tell they didn't really want to deal with anyone. I started pulling out towards the road, as the policeman were letting the truck go. I blew my horn at the police and asked them to pull in. I told them I had just witnessed them stealing the chairs and wanted to stay out of it because I am a sitting duck in the truck for 8 hours a night as there was only one woman in a company truck at night on the streets, and I wouldn't be hard to find. (Scared? Yeah if it meant someone was out looking for me in Memphis)

I know they would be released or could have someone else find me if needed. At that point you wish you were Dirty Harry or Charles Bronson. I said the stores cameras should be enough to prove the truck, as I couldn't see their faces anyway. If they were real cops, they saw the chairs I would hope. They said OK and took off after them.
When I pulled out on the 6 or 8 lanes, as I don't remember now, I didn't see that truck on the street. I always wonder if they caught them.

It was interesting to hear the people inside the hub, which was attached to the airport, talk about the crimes that had been committed to them or what they had seen. I would have real bars, not the kind that screw on the outside with phillips head screws, and purchase a different gun to strap on my body at all times. In the house, I would have to finish teaching Buster to really bite when I told him to. He sure has a mean deep bark when someone knocks on the door. Heelers grab ankles and legs, but I personally can testify that he grabbed someone's hand and sent them to the doctor for a bad infection. "Good boy" They deserved it as this man always bragged on how he shot his dogs. Then the two little ones would back him up.

Hearing that song about Memphis should be a pretty cool song as it used to stand for something. It was an old South town and I grew up there. I used to walk back from school which was about 2.5 miles as I attended Knight Arnold School which is right behind the Fed Ex terminal now. There weren't that many houses back then. They were growing cotton in front of our house.
Now it is a big Stripper Joint/Drug Den. All the low lives live there, and it would be very sad to be stuck there economically and not be able to leave.

As I watch the Mississippi River flow under the bridge in that song, it makes me think about how many bodies are floating in it. That is sad. And that is a good song, I just wish he would change the name of the town.

One more thing I meant to add, when I was working Memphis, it was rated the 2nd most dangerous city to be walking in.
It didn't say living in, or driving in. It said to be "Walking in." I drove Memphis back in the early 2000's. The city rated first, I don't remember, as it was not a city like Detroit or one that was quickly recognized. At the time I thought about how people were running in and out of the traffic across the streets and wondered if pedestrian accidents had anything to do with it. But now, I realize that it did not. It just meant that someone would steal, kill, or do what ever they pleased to you, and could care less.

I guess Memphis will be a city that God will start with when he thinks about taking the Nation down as he did to the nations in the Bible when they disobeyed his laws. Where the world world will crumble and fall into ruins, famine and disease will come. Now we have concrete and pavement. Pot holes. They used to have sand to wander around on. Sometimes it just makes you wander if we are at a point of no return.
People that are like these, are less than our loving animals as far as I am concerned. To me, a man that has the ability to have moral laws, spiritually, then kills, tortures, rapes, steals; and accepts not to feel or act on it, I have no mercy on that person. If he had his hands on my dog, guess who is not going to live if I have a piston in my hand?

Chuckie, sounds like you and I have covered a lot of the same ground except I was there for a 3 year period in the early 90's. I did contract work at the airport, and tried to keep my driving between their and the Sheriton, just a short drive down Winchester. But there were a few times I had to go other places. I was having vehicle problems, and needed to buy some ignition parts. The friendly folks I worked along side gave me directions to the nearest auto parts store. I thought I was in he!! before I even found the place. I did have a side arm. There was not a white person anywhere. That was a scary trip.
A close friend and coworker were drinking at the hotel bar one night. A couple beautiful ladies ask us if we wanted to see the town (they were MS gals stuck in Memphis because of delayed flight). We all took a cab to the Peabody, and then walked to Beale St. at midnight. What a fun time, but I got tired of looking over my back. I will not entertain the idea of doing that again. They're hard to see in the dark, and run in packs. Memphis was really my first experience with those people. It amazed me differently they act when they are alone and when they are in a group.

I know where one used to be. But I never went there because they said the hookers hung off the mirrors asking questions about needing work and would do odd jobs for $10 and some for $5. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts