Wackey Idea Maybe? Feeding apple pulp.

Help Support CattleToday:

Roger/OH

Reaction score
Every year the local FFA students come around and pick apples off my trees to press into cider that they sell at football games.
I was thinking about getting the pulp from the pressings to feed the cattle. As far as I know they throw all the pulp away. Good idea or not? Will it hurt them to mix it with the feed? Wackey idea?

Susie David":9i6084jl said:
I doubt that they will eat it...
Some of my cows will take apples out of your hand others will not eat them. That is where the thought came from.

We feed our cattle apples by the 100 pound bag when in season - like grain, it is a learned thing. Apples are a big seller here in this herd - so you might as well try your luck at the pulp.

Bez

woooooh..... hold on there cowpokes... got news for ya'lll. very good friend gets apple pulp by the truck load,,,,,,it is shipped in carboard boxes.......the truckers dump it in the lots, and the cattle have free access... they kill to get at it, and eat the cardboard as well!

he also stores alot of it in trench silos.......and keeps it in by stacking round bales of hay on the ends... again... they head for those rolls of hay,even though they seem rotted, and leave all the regular hay alone first.....
so don't discount the use of apple pulp....full of vitamins and minerals to boot.
just be kinda of carefull about feeding whole apples to uneducated cattle, as they can and will choke on them until they learn the need to masticate well before swallowing. :cboy:

There are 6 large apple orchards in our town and all the pulp is trucked to other farmers to feed to their cattle or to use as compost & fertilizer.

Its nutritious and cost effective. ( cheap or free )

Same with pumpkins and potatoes.

Cows love em.