OPTIMAL AGE FOR CREEP FEEDING?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
What is the optimal age to creep feed? With todays prices I'm confident its worth while even with feed costs but I read somewhere there's an opinion that below 3 months of age, the calves stomachs are not set up to make the most of the creep feed. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a big fan of creep feeding. It's added expense at more cost per pound of gain and I've always bred for genetic gain to begin with. After weaning it may pencil out but before weaning I just don't see it.

These are the numbers I've worked with. I get a ninety pound calf and expect it to wean in 205 days at 600 pounds. So 510 pounds of gain in 205 days is almost 2 1/2 pounds of gain a day average.

With creep you might push it to three pounds. My 2 1/2 pounds a day is done on fixed inputs that are going to be static whether I creep feed or not. The only way I'd need to creep feed is if I weaned early and failed to use my milk machines designed by evolution to put weight on the calf.

So the question becomes... is creep feed, including ancillary expenses, worth a 1/2 pound of gain until you sell the calf at what age and weight? The diminishing prices per pound of calf need to be figured in as well.

I'm not a big fan of creep feeding. It's added expense at more cost per pound of gain and I've always bred for genetic gain to begin with. After weaning it may pencil out but before weaning I just don't see it.

These are the numbers I've worked with. I get a ninety pound calf and expect it to wean in 205 days at 600 pounds. So 510 pounds of gain in 205 days is almost 2 1/2 pounds of gain a day average.

With creep you might push it to three pounds. My 2 1/2 pounds a day is done on fixed inputs that are going to be static whether I creep feed or not. The only way I'd need to creep feed is if I weaned early and failed to use my milk machines designed by evolution to put weight on the calf.

So the question becomes... is creep feed, including ancillary expenses, worth a 1/2 pound of gain until you sell the calf at what age and weight? The diminishing prices per pound of calf need to be figured in as well.
And a lot of the gain on creep feed comes at the expense of decreased intake of the cows milk.
I think whether to creep feed also depends on the time of year you are calving. I see no advantage in creep feeding when cows and calves are on abundant fresh growth of grass over summer, I get gains of 1-1.5 kg per day on summer grass. The only case for creep feeding would be towards the end of summer when grass quality drops off but then they need to be weaned then.
I try to use a creep feeder for 2 weeks leading up to weaning so that the calves get a taste for eating a bit of grain so that they don't go backwards during weaning.

Ken

I'm going to limit feed starting in august this year. That puts them at 4-4.5 months. My calves always look good until the summer fescue slump which I'm trying to avoid this year. Probably 3# a day working up to 7 in November weaning.

Just looking at guesstimate numbers, creep feed (75% oats, 25% corn) would cost around 13 cents per pound. If you get a conversion of 10:1 it would cost $1.30 per pound of gain. If feeders are selling for $2.30 it seems profitable this year for sure.

Just looking at guesstimate numbers, creep feed (75% oats, 25% corn) would cost around 13 cents per pound. If you get a conversion of 10:1 it would cost $1.30 per pound of gain. If feeders are selling for $2.30 it seems profitable this year for sure.
I've got 13.35 cents/pound in corn/soy hull pellet/ corn gluten pellet with mineral.

Isn't there a law of diminishing returns in feeding animals?

I mean, if you have an underweight for frame animal you might get more gain per pound of feed... and if you have a fat animal you get far less gain per pound of feed. And there's also the question of whether you are laying on growth or just unnecessary fat cover.

I've always thought my calves were pretty fat at weaning. Not like being finished, but definitely not skinny.

Isn't there a law of diminishing returns in feeding animals?

I mean, if you have an underweight for frame animal you might get more gain per pound of feed... and if you have a fat animal you get far less gain per pound of feed. And there's also the question of whether you are laying on growth or just unnecessary fat cover.

I've always thought my calves were pretty fat at weaning. Not like being finished, but definitely not skinny.
I think the way you just laid out. Would be awful to get docked at sale day.

I want my cows to take care of the calf. If they can't, they don't need to be here. That's just me though. I've not really looked into rate of gain with creep.

Would it be more beneficial to toss the mommas some feed every few days as opposed to the calf? Been curious on that one too.

Last edited:
I start calving in November and start offering my calves a calf starter at about 3 weeks. not creep feeder but feed trough were cows have no access. I think it helps them continue to grow well through the colder months. once pairs are turned out on pasture, calves still have access to grain but only about 2 lbs./hd/day if they want it. As the pasture gets shorter, they return to the feeder more often. it seems to help them adjust at weaning time. I have always been happy with weights at sale time. last year had a few over 900 lbs. on sale day at about 8 months.

I think the way you just laid out. Would be awful to get docked at sale day.

I want my cows to take care of the calf. If they can't, they don't need to be here. That's just me though. I've not really looked into rate of gain with creep.

Would it be more beneficial to toss the mommas some feed every few days as opposed to the calf? Been curious on that one too.
"Would it be more beneficial to toss the mommas some feed every few days as opposed to the calf?" That's a good question.

The better use of feed may be in keeping the cow healthy and productive as she's nursing a growing calf.

Last edited:
What is the optimal age to creep feed? With todays prices I'm confident its worth while even with feed costs but I read somewhere there's an opinion that below 3 months of age, the calves stomachs are not set up to make the most of the creep feed. Thanks in advance.
What is you goal with the creep feed?

What is you goal with the creep feed?
increased return, make more $, turn feed into sale-able product.
Hubbard Creep is currently $389 a ton or $0.19 a lb. I usually fill them near the end of the grazing season just to keep the calves from looking for something better as the grass becomes less desirable. It has also helped the transition during weaning. I was just considering putting them out earlier but if there's poorer ROI due to a younger age than I'll just wait.
With grain commodities all over the board (locally Dec corn dropped from $5.69 cash on the 21st to $4.97 cash today) I think its worth looking at and deciding at what price (both feed and feeder) its worthing pushing them harder. I agree a cow should raise a calf on her own but if there's money to be made increased gain due to creep, its still money made.

Will having the calves in high condition lower the price per pound they bring?
I always wanted mine as heavy as was practical off the cow, thinking the extra pounds made up for a lower price per pound.
If you are having to pay for that extra condition through purchased feed and labor, I would think it might not be worth it.

I always wanted mine as heavy as was practical off the cow, thinking the extra pounds made up for a lower price per pound.
If you are having to pay for that extra condition through purchased feed and labor, I would think it might not be worth it.
Yes, a lot to consider, the benefit is really not a linear gain.

Ken

Absolutely. I have to watch because 550-600 is the sweetspot in our area the majority of the time. A month ago I lost almost $50/hd on every steer that went over #600.

It may be an area thing but I've never had luck feeding calves. When you jump the weight class and they see those fat calves the price per pound falls more than the weight makes up for.

I'm a believer in my cows giving a little more milk than average. We have found the added milk provides a cheaper gain than creep feeding. With that being said we started putting out liquid feed in pastures with older cows that we plan too sell soon. The calves do well on the liquid feed and hoping we can gain a few extra lbs on the calves before we sell the cows.

Latest posts