Creep Feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Kaden

Reaction score
I am curious to see what y'all think about creep feeding your calves. I can see it being beneficial in ways such as being in a drought period, getting calves preconditioned to feed, and helping cows that calves are dragging down. Is it economically worth it though is my question?

I don't creep but even in the late spring/summer grazing months, I supplement with a small amount of cubes because the quality of forage isn't great (haven't been able to burn in years). The calves start eating cubes by the time they're a few months old. The cows aren't as interested in the cubes when it's rotten hot, but the calves still come running and it makes for an easier transition when they're weaned.

North Dakota State University has done quite a lot of work in this area. Generally, creep feeding does not seem to pay. There may be a couple of exceptions. 1) in drought conditions when cows are not producing enough milk (but NDSU also highly favors early weaning in those times) 2) for fall calving herds studies have shown that creep feeding may pay in certain years if the calves are being sold in the spring and are feedlot bound. However, the result indicate that creep feeding fall calving herds does not pay if the calves are being kept over the summer on grass. Compensatory gains -- the calves make up the difference faster on grass if they have not had grain. My bottom line -- I don't like to creep grain, but do provide creep hay for fall calves in the winter. This is so they don't have to compete with mama around the bale feeder. Also the university in at least one study showed that creep feeding fall calves show less winter weight loss in the cow herd (likely because the calves left more hay for the cows -- forage competition works both ways).

Useing creep as a tool leading to early weaning should work well as a drought strategy. Calves are typically much more efficient on a tmr than creep. Lactating cows use a lot of energy producing milk. In good body condition cows use a lot less energy. So if you can keep your cows in good rig going into winter you can use cheaper feed and less feed to maintain them. Also, I would look into salt limited high protein creep for the calves depending on what is available in your area it may make more sense.

Here is great article from the University of Nebr. They also provide a Cow-Q-Lator to input your numbers and measure profitability (if any) of creep feeding.

Latest posts