WA Folks: Reintrodution (Supplementation) of Grizz in the NW

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Meetings start this week re: introduction (or population supplementation?) of grizzly bears in the Pac. NW in Washington. Closest to me: Cle Elum, March 9th, 5:00-7:30 PM, at Putnam Centennial Center, 719 E. Third St., Cle Elum. (If you are a supporter of reintroduction [supplementation], you are invited to a pre-meeting happy hour at The Cottage from 3:30 - 5:00 PM.) Following link has meeting dates for other places in the state. Note: No meetings set for near Seattle or high-population areas.

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2015...y-bear-reintroduction-meetings-begin-march-3/

greybeard":3uhqe7ak said:
Pilgrim, are you sure you can ya skin griz?
:lol: :lol:

That was a good movie, Greybeard! No, this girl DOES not support reintroduction of the big bears here! Was sending out the meeting information in a "neutral" mode (and maybe a little bit in case anyone that wanted to crash the supporters' happy hour were so inclined). I don't disagree that everything in nature needs a place, but I don't think everthing in nature needs to be everywhere! And once they are out there, there isn't a heckofalot their "overseers" can do to keep them in specific areas. Wolves are creating alot of havoc out here in the western states, and the bears would likely be running in the same country.

Took us two hundred years to get rid of Black Bears here and now they are hauling them in.
Government officials are such idiots. I am fairly sure most will meet their demise here with this bunch
of hillbillies. Not always a bad thing. I feel for you just don't see how Griz and livestock are going
to have a harmonious outcome.

I would just say this: If you may become or part of an impacted area with either wolves or (craaaap) the big bears, make your voice heard. Not likely you will prevent reintroduction if it comes to you, but talk loud about a workable plan that includes $$ if you have depredation damages with your stock. Depredation on your deer and elk will be another story and that will just screw up your hunting.

Caustic Burno":136wm4i3 said:
Took us two hundred years to get rid of Black Bears here and now they are hauling them in.
Government officials are such idiots. I am fairly sure most will meet their demise here with this bunch
of hillbillies. Not always a bad thing. I feel for you just don't see how Griz and livestock are going

We've never completely "got rid" of them here, and in the last few decades they have increased in number to where there is even a fairly substantial hunting season. I have never heard of a single case of predation on cattle or sheep locally by a black bear. They'll wreck bee hives, and I've seen pictures of one which raided a chicken coop. Most just focus on bird feeders or improperly stored pet food. A single hot wire will keep them out. There is a huge difference in the behavior and feeding habits of grizzlies and black bears. Best to know what you're talking about before spreading fear and ignorance. I have them on my property, but I've never even seen one, and they've never harmed any of my animals. They'll even occasionally climb a friend's deer fence, but they've never harmed his animals either. The best part about them is watching how worked up all of the citiots and suburbanites get when a young inexperienced black bear occasionally wanders into a populated area. They lock down the schools, close roads, practically call out the national guard. If they only knew that they have more to fear from a raccoon than the average black bear.

Luca Brasi":1h9egvx0 said:
Caustic Burno":1h9egvx0 said:

We've never completely "got rid" of them here, and in the last few decades they have increased in number to where there is even a fairly substantial hunting season. I have never heard of a single case of predation on cattle or sheep locally by a black bear. They'll wreck bee hives, and I've seen pictures of one which raided a chicken coop. Most just focus on bird feeders or improperly stored pet food. A single hot wire will keep them out. There is a huge difference in the behavior and feeding habits of grizzlies and black bears. Best to know what you're talking about before spreading fear and ignorance. I have them on my property, but I've never even seen one, and they've never harmed any of my animals. They'll even occasionally climb a friend's deer fence, but they've never harmed his animals either. The best part about them is watching how worked up all of the citiots and suburbanites get when a young inexperienced black bear occasionally wanders into a populated area. They lock down the schools, close roads, practically call out the national guard. If they only knew that they have more to fear from a raccoon than the average black bear.

I do know what I am talking about and I don't want them period.
You assumed something. We had the hateful beast in the 60's and they tear up a lot of stuff.
Best one is in rug form. Talk about tear a greenhouse up or chicken pen as well as a vehicle they are experts.
I don't give a shyt what they tear up if it cost me an unnecessary dollar it needs to die.
We have missed them almost as bad as the Red Wolf if neither every roam these woods again life is better.

I have lots and lots of black bears. There are more black bears per square mile in Western Washington than in any other area in the USA. They don't bother me at all. Heck I have been fishing in a stream with 5 black bears within a 100 yards of me on all four sides and not worried one bit. The other side of that is that I have worked in grizzly country. If you can see a grizzly and are not nervous you are a fool. Walk in on to a black bear sow with cubs and you will have an interesting few minutes. Walk in on a grizzly sow with cubs and it is all over but the slow walking and mournful singing. Comparing a little property damage and a risk to human life....... In my humble opinion there is a big difference.

Why only restock the rural areas? If these animals are good for the environment, there are millions and millions of acres of undeveloped parks, river bottoms, deep creeks, and green belts throughout urban US.

They shouldn't be deprived of this environmental benefit. Bobcats and coyotes can make a living. A wolf pack could as well. Save the cities money on animal control expenses to boot.

Commercialfarmer":3r2jr11c said:
Why only restock the rural areas? If these animals are good for the environment, there are millions and millions of acres of undeveloped parks, river bottoms, deep creeks, and green belts throughout urban US.

They shouldn't be deprived of this environmental benefit. Bobcats and coyotes can make a living. A wolf pack could as well. Save the cities money on animal control expenses to boot.

That sounds reasonable enough.

Deepsouth":3bbibsav said:
Commercialfarmer":3bbibsav said:

That sounds reasonable enough.

We'd love that! Won't happen. I know that and you know that.

Not so much that it would happen, more along the lines of a couple things. First, too many people are just ignorant and go along with the propaganda of special interest groups not seeing the conclusion. Most importantly, it's about not being in my back yard. If it's not in my backyard, it's not my problem attitude. You need to introduce to the conversation the problem being in their backyard. Some might see the light.

Those that still want to promote it, they either have to say they support the idea of these wild beasts running the streets of everyone's neighborhood, OR they have to stand there and tell you why having these larger predatory wild animals live among people is not a good idea. It's those sound bites and quotes that will hang themselves.

Of course, you'd want to show up early and eat their crackers and caviar, asking who you could thank for such a nice reception. It's what a good, strong proponent would do that wants to see these magnificent animals spread from sea to shining sea.

And now back to reality.

I wouldn't mind seeing raccoons all but eliminated, with maybe a self sustaining captive population kept in some high security lab or zoo just for posterity, but that's only because it would make it easier for me to keep chickens. I can certainly do it with the SOBs still here, with a little effort on my part. We have plenty of greenhouses, chicken coops and vehicles here, so why have we figured out how to live in harmony with black bears while others can't? Or won't?

I might be naive, but I'm surprised that there are still ranchers in this day and age who still harbor the same close minded attitudes toward nature and wildlife as they had in the 19th century. If anything, our activities by their very nature I would hope would have us more enlightened about the natural world. Or is it that some of us are simply city folks who happen to live in rural areas and know a little bit more about cattle?

I don't know if I would be in favor of grizzlies being reintroduced here or not, but being practical rather than hysterical I realize that their reproductive rates are so low and their need for territory so great that even if they were dropped here tomorrow it is unlikely that they would affect me much at all in my lifetime. Black bears can be a little bit more prolific and adaptable to living near man, but the same pretty much goes for them if that were the case.

Commercialfarmer":32odlt1w said:
Not so much that it would happen, more along the lines of a couple things. First, too many people are just ignorant and go along with the propaganda of special interest groups not seeing the conclusion. Most importantly, it's about not being in my back yard. If it's not in my backyard, it's not my problem attitude. You need to introduce to the conversation the problem being in their backyard. Some might see the light.

Those that still want to promote it, they either have to say they support the idea of these wild beasts running the streets of everyone's neighborhood, OR they have to stand there and tell you why having these larger predatory wild animals live among people is not a good idea. It's those sound bites and quotes that will hang themselves.

Of course, you'd want to show up early and eat their crackers and caviar, asking who you could thank for such a nice reception. It's what a good, strong proponent would do that wants to see these magnificent animals spread from sea to shining sea.

The idiots restocked Timber rattlers here we just about had them wiped out.
Why don't they put them in city parks for their kids to play around.
We had cleaned the thicket out of black bear and most mountain lion as well.
Hadn't seen that over grown coon (Black Bear) since the late sixties and know of no one that
missed them. If these idiots want to work on something it should be feral hog eradication.
The feral hog is helping the cats make a comeback along with billions of dollars in damages.
The TPWD has made up signs showing Black Bear and Feral Hogs with the bear with a circle with a line through it.
Like we don't know the difference. If the TPWD thinks these boys back in the woods are not going to gut shoot
every hog and bear they see they better start buying more bears.

Commercialfarmer":3orbo59u said:

Almost 20 years ago the Seattle voters voted to outlaw cougar hunting with hounds. As a result there has been a population explosion of cougars in the rural areas. Well a couple years ago a cougar moved into one of the parks in town. He was living on a diet of dogs and cats. It was all over the news. Well what do you know but they had to bring hounds in to catch this cougar and move him out of town. Of course they didn't shoot it. They tranquilized and moved it out where the people living in rural areas could deal with it.

Latest posts