W/O COOL - Carcass Quality Means Nothing

Help Support CattleToday:

I think there are more than you might think. Sure the masses who shop at Wallyworld don't give a flip because price is all they care about. But most grocers I know have standing orders for choice or better and their suppliers have to fill these orders or lose their business and I don't think you are going to fill these orders with grass finished animals from Argentina. True, Walmart may jump on this but this might lower their meat quality and they might lose their market share - assuming of course the south american beef is that much worse than ours. What's bad is some special interest groups have sold the public the idea that grass finished animals are somehow more healthy. More environmentally friendly and all that nonsense. Sure, the less fat you consume the better but also the less fat a steak has the less tender and less flavorful. It seems this is coming back to haunt them because why on earth would you spend $12/lb for grass fed beef when you can buy it for $4-$5 now.

I still believe quality will always sell but if you think there is something sinister in all this then I think you may want to mark my words that they will have to convince everyone our grading system is somehow flawed and marbling has nothing to do with dining pleasure. To do this, they will have to change our grading system and I'll be willing to bet they are working on this at this very moment and you will hear talk of this within the next few years. And when you do, maybe you'll remember this post and say, that guy wasn't crazy after all.

If you truly wanted to do something for the american producer the best thing would be to do away with the Wholesome Meat Act and deregulate the meat processing industry. This would allow for unencumbered trade of local beef from field to table without the regulations that only protect the big boys in the meat industry. Just imagine what you could do with the savings you could pocket by not having 1000-2000 miles of freight in a pound of beef. The jobs it would create. Not to mention the smaller carbon footprint. :lol2:

The average buyer does not care where their food came from or we there it is marbled or not. All they care about is price. Most probably don't even care about that since they are getting their food for free with their stamps.

Remember what Ken in Australia stated. Their markets are still strong because their government protects the Country of origin of their beef. Our markets collapsed with the repeal of COOL. I am not focused as much on the domestic market as I am the export markets. It is impossible to compete with third world beef producers who do not have the overhead of regulations, taxes, entitlements, etc. etc. that the US of A does. That concept of "chickenization" of beef will destroy the beef breeds, it will undermine the incentive for progressive breeding, etc.

Margonme":1p8nddo9 said:
Remember what Ken in Australia stated. Their markets are still strong because their government protects the Country of origin of their beef. Our markets collapsed with the repeal of COOL. I am not focused as much on the domestic market as I am the export markets. It is impossible to compete with third world beef producers who do not have the overhead of regulations, taxes, entitlements, etc. etc. that the US of A does. That concept of "chickenization" of beef will destroy the beef breeds, it will undermine the incentive for progressive breeding, etc.

I went to a TAMU workshop a year a so ago they said by 2030 most of us won't exist

I disagree. I don't think COOL has done anything to harm our exports because grain fed beef is in big demand overseas. What has killed our market recently was all the south american beef that's coming into the country flooding the market just as Canadian lumber flooded our market with the NAFTA treaty. Ironically, 75% of all our wood processing plants in my area are now owned by the Canadians so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who got the best end of that trade.

I think we'd all be better off if the federal government would get out of the meat business and leave it to the states to regulate so long as the meat doesn't cross any state lines. This would do wonders for everyone involved in meat production. Of course, it would screw up people like Hillary who make money on cattle futures and never own a cow. Wonder where this money comes from?

The quality story, like folk lore, must be told again and again. We can't assume that people know there is something better than supermarket quality--many don't. The CAB program has deteriorated into the "Angus Burger". How does that help the high end producer? Isn't high end what Angus used to be all about? Isn't that why the CAB program was started in the first place?
USA beef must become both better AND cheaper. It can be done but sadly, not by small family farms acting alone. Co-ops working with small packing houses and adhering to high standards and brand marketing within a 200-300 mile radius would be the best approach IMO. This would require ALL members to raise the same breed or crosses with similar management practices and diets. Uniformity is essential because the product must be repeatable. Breeding stock would have to be inspected and culled by a hard-nosed committee-no exceptions. Rules would have to be enforced with Marine Drill Sergeant ruthlessness.
Anybody up for that? Didn't think so!

City Guy":1uyxkd3v said:
The quality story, like folk lore, must be told again and again. We can't assume that people know there is something better than supermarket quality--many don't. The CAB program has deteriorated into the "Angus Burger". How does that help the high end producer? Isn't high end what Angus used to be all about? Isn't that why the CAB program was started in the first place?
USA beef must become both better AND cheaper. It can be done but sadly, not by small family farms acting alone. Co-ops working with small packing houses and adhering to high standards and brand marketing within a 200-300 mile radius would be the best approach IMO. This would require ALL members to raise the same breed or crosses with similar management practices and diets. Uniformity is essential because the product must be repeatable. Breeding stock would have to be inspected and culled by a hard-nosed committee-no exceptions. Rules would have to be enforced with Marine Drill Sergeant ruthlessness.
Anybody up for that? Didn't think so!

I'm up for it, but I have one big problem and that's the USDA and their regulations. Get them out of it and I'll gladly go that route and will sell everything local. It will be locally raised, locally processed and sold locally. I'll even hire local Americans rather than doing like the meat industry and lobbying for relaxed immigration laws so more muslims can come in and work in these mega-plants. And since our Beef Checkoff dollars fund these same beef lobbyists I must assume we are paying lobbyists to help bring in muslims. Its gotten too big. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Yeah, I'm up for a pure capitalistic meat shops scattered all across our country. The standard will be set by what the customer wants. I don't have a problem with that at all.

slick4591, I don't understand your comment about cattleman getting screwed by the China trade deal. What am I missing?

Also, why are you afraid of cheap beef coming in and expensive going out? Basic rule of any business is "buy only what you have to and sell what sells".

My guess is the Brazilian beef will be coming in at a lower price point and maybe quality. My other guess is China will be paying more for US beef but the extra money will not be passed down to the cowman (getting screwed).

There is nothing illegal about labeling meat "product of the USA". It is just against our trade deals to make it mandatory. Any packer can do it at any time. If there was a demand for it by the consumer, it would be happening. If you think it would be a big seller, you do it. Let capitalism decide, and keep the government out of it.

cmay":20aoidm4 said:
There is nothing illegal about labeling meat "product of the USA". It is just against our trade deals to make it mandatory. Any packer can do it at any time. If there was a demand for it by the consumer, it would be happening. If you think it would be a big seller, you do it. Let capitalism decide, and keep the government out of it.

What you say is true but it does not speak directly at the problem created by bad trade agreements. I am concerned that foreign beef can be passed off as US of A beef. Any product should be labeled to the extent that a consumer is informed as to quality and origin. Then, it is in the hands of the consumer. Regulation and good trade policy is necessary to level the playing field if commerce is fair for the US beef producer.

cmay":2gu9vtm6 said:

Amen to that!!!!!!!

Here's our local grocery store sale page. A they claim it's USA beef all the way. My wife ordered 60, 12 oz t-bones for the GCA meeting next Thursday.

Margonme":26hjofvd said:
cmay":26hjofvd said:

What you say is true but it does not speak directly at the problem created by bad trade agreements. I am concerned that foreign beef can be passed off as US of A beef. Any product should be labeled to the extent that a consumer is informed as to quality and origin. Then, it is in the hands of the consumer. Regulation and good trade policy is necessary to level the playing field if commerce is fair for the US beef producer.
By the time the consumer realizes and reacts, the camel's nose is generally way past being under the tent flap--IF the consumer reacts at all..from what we see at Chinamart, all they react to is cost at checkout counter.

Let us now how those select TBones work out TG. I've seen some come in boxed as choice but sold as select by the store's meat market manager just to move them and get more people in the store.

greybeard":2cp3hn8h said:
Margonme":2cp3hn8h said:
cmay":2cp3hn8h said:

By the time the consumer realizes and reacts, the camel's nose is generally way past being under the tent flap--IF the consumer reacts at all..from what we see at Chinamart, all they react to is cost at checkout counter.

Let us now how those select TBones work out TG. I've seen some come in boxed as choice but sold as select by the store's meat market manager just to move them and get more people in the store.

I'll know shortly how they taste. No much marble, but you normally get what you pay for in meat.

The local United grocery store has beef labeled as Texas beef.
The big boys such as McDonald,Taco whatever and so on would be my guess as to be the market of imported beef.

Take all them out as a buyers and we have a surplus of beef.

Until supply comes down with demand ....

Fresh carcass from Brazil will be hung on the same rail your angus is, if it grades you will eat it and not know the difference. Some of that beef will be cut in Nebraska.

Red Bull Breeder":1r8cocym said:
Fresh carcass from Brazil will be hung on the same rail your angus is, if it grades you will eat it and not know the difference. Some of that beef will be cut in Nebraska.

DNA testing needs to be mandatory to qualify for CAB. It's coming very soon the AAA is already geared up for it. It's a mega marketing tool, probably even better than the black hide.

Red Bull Breeder":lr7fnu2q said:

That is exactly what I read into it also. Consumer will not be able to make an informed choice. That stinks.

Latest posts