vitamin a d injection

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
what is this used for. the local farm store had 3 100ml bottles about to go out of date so they gave em to me. i was just wondering if i sould rush out and buy a sick cow so i can use the stuff. :banana: :lol:

If they are 250 mL bottles, they are worth about $25 a piece and are usually good for a few months after the expiry date. Key is that they never come into contact with sunlight, as this degrades them rapidly. They are exactly what they are, vitamins. Just like people need vitamins for healthy living, animals need them as well. We inject everything once in the spring and in the fall. Helps all sorts of things. Good for cows that may have retained their placentas, keeps them from losing ground in their calving dates due to late breeding. Helps haircoats. Good for healthy eyes.

In my eyes, it is a management tool that I can use to better evaluate the cattle. Every animal gets a shot and those that do well, do very well. Those that, even with a shot of Vit A&D, do poorly, stick out like sore thumbs and are added to the potential cull list. Average cost to inject Vit A&D for us is about $0.80/head/year

When there is drought conditions cattle seldom get the required Vit A they need, a hot of Vit A every three months in such a period will do wonders. As Aaron said it also plays a role in healthy eyes.

Vit D is never in short supply in my environment, but I can see where you folks in colder Northern climates might benefit from that in winter.

Latest posts