Viruses....

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
Silver said:
I understand Trump is trying to prevent 3M from exporting N95 masks to Canada.

I would hope so....

I disagree. We should work with Canada on this thing, Mexico too. Make North America Great Again!

I don't disagree with working together. But I do agree with looking out for the home team first.
There are American health care worker's that need the mask to stay healthy so they can continue to fight this disease. To send away what they need is foolish imo. " You can't take care of anyone unless you can take care of yourself"

callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
I would hope so....

I disagree. We should work with Canada on this thing, Mexico too. Make North America Great Again!

I don't disagree with working together. But I do agree with looking out for the home team first.
There are American health care worker's that need the mask to stay healthy so they can continue to fight this disease. To send away what they need is foolish imo. " You can't take care of anyone unless you can take care of yourself"

We can get capacity up enough to take care of North America but we will have to deny supplies to third world countries at least in the short run.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

We can get capacity up enough to take care of North America but we will have to deny supplies to third world countries at least in the short run.

Thanks for the info. I don't have my thumb on the pulse of the mask industry.
I do believe that for us to produce the mask to take care of North America.....we need to keep US healthy.....

greybeard said:
hurleyjd said:
Listened to a doctor tonight who said that they could spray the mask with a fine mist of hydrogen peroxide and sterilize the mask and use over and over.
If you use regular cloth on the outside, and sew in an an inner layer of flannel inside you can create a sewn in pocket between the 2 layers for disposable filter medium.

Patterns here:
https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/
I wonder if there would be a way to sew a five copper mesh in the mask. I understand the germs and virus cannot live on copper.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
Silver said:
I understand Trump is trying to prevent 3M from exporting N95 masks to Canada.

I would hope so....

Well, you kinda have to anyway if raw materials are being relied on for some essentials.

I do not think at a corporate level they would have a problem seeing a way to work this out....or say with the pulp suppliers, they could say ok then, you keep all your production of masks, we are going to have to hold our pulp as we are forced to start our own mask production.

Meanwhile down here, until recently, some slimey bustards had been buying up as many medical masks and other supplies like hand cleaner and shipping it to China ! They quickly legislated against that and any such supply will now be seized.

We have various communities whose allegiance of some within, after being allowed to settle, does not sit with the new homeland. Lucky I have not been promoted higher in the ministry at the minute, cause I would put something in place that stripped them of citizenship and assets and given a 1 way ticket to place of origin, or, if none, a nice jail stint, I think the US calls it treason.

hurleyjd said:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

And, just remember, the numbers, anybodies, is going to be far far higher than this.... by a factor of many....

and if 1 infects 2 or more....

it is a game of numbers where you grow out of fingers and toes quick :)

The only part to really believe, is the deaths in countries that are not known to play games.

Richnm said:
Silver said:
callmefence said:
This ain't no game rancher

Then Trump should quit treating like a game

You should worry about Americans instead of the rest of the world. I bet your one of
"those" neighbors .
We're all in this together. To think that we can let the disease rage in one part of the world (especially next door) and keep ourselves safe is foolishness. It's going to take a global effort, and petty spats for political grandstanding purposes are detrimental.

Buck Randall said:
Richnm said:
Silver said:

You should worry about Americans instead of the rest of the world. I bet your one of
"those" neighbors .
We're all in this together. To think that we can let the disease rage in one part of the world (especially next door) and keep ourselves safe is foolishness. It's going to take a global effort, and petty spats for political grandstanding purposes are detrimental.

Tell Pelosi.

hurleyjd said:
greybeard said:
hurleyjd said:
Listened to a doctor tonight who said that they could spray the mask with a fine mist of hydrogen peroxide and sterilize the mask and use over and over.
If you use regular cloth on the outside, and sew in an an inner layer of flannel inside you can create a sewn in pocket between the 2 layers for disposable filter medium.

Patterns here:
I wonder if there would be a way to sew a five copper mesh in the mask. I understand the germs and virus cannot live on copper.
I'm guessing you meat a 'fine copper mesh' and not a 'five copper mesh'. There is something to that idea, except for the tiny size of a virus particle. A single mesh probably wouldn't work, but a random thread fiber like a true HEPA mesh might trap most of them. HEPA standard is to trap 99.96% of all particulates bigger than .3 micron. Corona virus is about .08 microns in diameter. A virus particle is small but huge compare to most molecules, including air molecules. But even a true HEPA won't trap all virus particles or bacteria. The weave is such that some do make the bends and twists and do get thru HEPA.
Certainly worth thinking about but I bet it won't be cheap.

Buck Randall said:
Richnm said:
Silver said:

"those" neighbors .

We are all in this together and the enemy is on our soil and our neighbors soil.Ironically our neighbors are the ones making this political. At least on this thread. People in this country are wearing homemade mask. We have a pillow company making mask. Cdc is asking people not to use medical grade mask because there's not enough to go around. I'm quite sure when the pulp was bought from Canada as a raw product , it became the property of the American company who bought it. No obligation to return it as finished mask. Maybe I'm wrong.
Canada is looking out for Canada as they very well should
https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/government-looks-to-made-in-canada-solutions-to-mask-ventilator-shortage-as-international-supplies-tighten

In a fight everyone has to deal with the foe in front of you. And hope your Allies are doing the same.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Buck Randall said:
Richnm said:
"those" neighbors .

Tell Pelosi.
In the event she becomes president, I'll be sure to drop her a note.

greybeard said:
hurleyjd said:
greybeard said:

Patterns here:
I'm guessing you meat a 'fine copper mesh' and not a 'five copper mesh'. There is something to that idea, except for the tiny size of a virus particle. A single mesh probably wouldn't work, but a random thread fiber like a true HEPA mesh might trap most of them. HEPA standard is to trap 99.96% of all particulates bigger than .3 micron. Corona virus is about .08 microns in diameter. A virus particle is small but huge compare to most molecules, including air molecules. But even a true HEPA won't trap all virus particles or bacteria. The weave is such that some do make the bends and twists and do get thru HEPA.
Mesh like this is what I had in mind. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274309344766 pretty fine but probable not fine enough

hurleyjd said:
greybeard said:
hurleyjd said:
Mesh like this is what I had in mind. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274309344766 pretty fine but probable not fine enough
80mesh-200 microns...
80 mesh means there are 80 openings per inch.
200 microns means the openings are each 200 microns or .008" (inches) wide.
1 micron is about 0.000039".
The virus' size is .08 micron.
2500 coronoa virus particles will fit side by side inside each opening of a 80 mesh-200 mesh screen, meaning almost all will pass thru, and can do so side by side.

greybeard said:
hurleyjd said:
greybeard said:
80mesh-200 microns...
2500 coronoa virus particles will fit side by side inside each opening of a 80 mesh-200 mesh screen, meaning almost all will pass thru, and can do so side by side.

And if was thin, and too fine, breathing itself may be an issue. :D

greybeard said:
hurleyjd said:
greybeard said:
80mesh-200 microns...
Remind me not to get in an argument with GB.

Ken

What about material impregnated/coated with copper powder :)

Suppose as long as you can breathe through a mask, so can the virus enter as well?

No....P2 masks stop it.

But those masks do not usually filter what is exhaled..

So a cloth mask or near anything covering mouth and nose would help contain spread.

The aim of the game is to slow spread, not completely remove or stop it.

We cannot all hide from it, just have to allow health system too function, not descend into chaos.

Yes Greggy...I should have specified that I was referring to the N95 mask that was being discussed ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts