Video Surveillance

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Wish I had some because my curiosity is peaked. Yesterday morning ..... during the rain ...... I found the cows had busted out and were in a field they had no business being in. Plenty of food where they were and nothing but some scattered wild grasses in the other field.

Went over to get them back in and found the the five strand fence was torn down ... some of the wire busted in two. A pull post made from the butt of a telephone pole and anchored with concrete was leaning at a 45 degree angle. In addition to this, seven 4" wooden posts were at the same angle with two of them pulled completely out of the ground creating a gap in the fence that was nearly sixty feet wide as if a semi-truck went through the fence sideways. Eli ran the cattle back in the pasture and and kept them at bay while I commenced to fixing the fence and setting new posts. Did I mention it was raining? The whole while I'm wondering WTH went on during the night. Thunder/lightning stampede? Pizzing contest amongst the bulls? Dogs? Why does shyt like this always happen in bad weather? Wet and confused.

I don't have an answer, but I know that is when things like that always happens to us. Sorry you had it happen to you in the rain.

Someone was getting ready to steal the cows and got spooked. They know you and didn't want to take a chance on getting shot.

Jogeephus":1cehg12e said:
M-5":1cehg12e said:
highgrit":1cehg12e said:
Someone was getting ready to steal the cows and got spooked. They know you and didn't want to take a chance on getting shot.

he should probably brand them

I plan to as soon as I get a horse.

LOL, Highgrit give me his address and Ill delivery him a horses and a jackass this weekend

If the roads weren't so bad Sky might deliver a couple to you Jogeephus. There's been 2 trailer loads stolen in the last week fairly close to us. At one place they stole a livestock trailer and some cows. I'm taking it as a real threat, I have a AR riding shotgun with my shotgun.

I don't know the answer, Jogee but the dang animals have a way of doing shyt that is unexplainable. I've got one heifer (about 5 wt) that will go through a fence faster than poop thru a Christmas duck. Don't care how tight or strong the wire is. She is the one that the yoke was invented for and I'm about ready to put one on her. And of course, when she busts through the rest follow and pretty soon you have a hole that is 60 ft wide and maybe a broken post or two. Oh, did I mention she always does it when the wind is blowing 40 mph out of the North and raining. I think they do it just to pizz me off. I know they take great pride at showing off when I try to get them out. The young ones run around behind me and kick up their heels like it was a game.

Don't think it was rustlers. No tracks. My money is on a pizzing match between the bulls. They did this once before only in the coral and they made a total mess of things.

Just some of the joys of owning cattle. Could have been worse.

We have a saying for that kind of stuff here in the ranching country of CA. "%^&*in' bulls".
About three weeks ago mine tore out about fifty yards of year old fence and left the fifty year old fence that started five feet away completely intact. They completely ripped out a corner brace including a railroad tie as the center post.

To be honest, I don't even know how a fence keeps cattle in. I mean, if they want out they are going to get out. Fence is nothing.

Keep most of the bulls together in the off season. They got to fighting and tore through a swath of the inside fence last week. What they don't bend, break, move or pizz on, they tear up. That's besides the 5 foot deep buffalo wallows they've made throughout the field, including directly in front of the gate.

Jogeephus":1gp1z88b said:
To be honest, I don't even know how a fence keeps cattle in. I mean, if they want out they are going to get out. Fence is nothing.

I think it's just lack of inspiration. Give them enough inspiration and they can clear or go through anything.

Commercialfarmer":2ibwfzrl said:
Keep most of the bulls together in the off season. They got to fighting and tore through a swath of the inside fence last week. What they don't bend, break, move or pizz on, they tear up. That's besides the 5 foot deep buffalo wallows they've made throughout the field, including directly in front of the gate.
That last part--is why I don't keep bulls in the pasture right next to the house--waller holes right in front of the gate when there is plenty of room everywhere else. What the heck is the big attraction to parking their butts in front of a gate they've never been thru anyway??

Maybe they just miss you and can't wait for you to return? :D I don't know if it's better or worse, but this gate has been open at all times. It's the only way to water. Well, before for the new gate they made.

Latest posts