Vicon disk mower

Help Support CattleToday:

IronPeddler,

Once you understand the advantages of a shaft drive mower you will not go back to the older technology of the oil bath design cutterbars

Please elaborate. I guess I'm not familiar with the "shaft drive" mowers. Are there particular brands that are shaft drive vs oil bath...?

What have you found objectional about the Italian mowers? I just bought a 10' IMC or IMA (can't remember) that seems to work just fine in all my hay fields except one, but even my old PZ had trouble cutting Bahia (sp).

I looked at Vicon, Kuhn and a couple of others and wound up buying the IMC, not because of the cost but because my local equipment supplier recommended it and said he has used one for about three years without any trouble. And I've known Kelly for years and I don't think he would lead me astray.

We have run one of the Reese drum mowers enough to wear out any other disc mower on the market and it still does a good job. They are not as easy to find but the cost is about 4500 give or take.We bought another one this year and have been running the old and new one in the same fields and can tell no difference in the way they cut.There are disadvantages such as manual fold but not too hard to hook up compared to Kunh for example.The reese has few moving parts to wear out.One set of belts in about 7 years.My dad uses this thing for clipping pasture also he likes it better than a bushhog.The 8+ ft. models are heavy so it takes a larger tractor just to carry it around. Tall down grass does cause some problems if it gets into the belts.

ERNIBIGB":av965bqi said:
We have run one of the Reese drum mowers enough to wear out any other disc mower on the market and it still does a good job. They are not as easy to find but the cost is about 4500 give or take.We bought another one this year and have been running the old and new one in the same fields and can tell no difference in the way they cut.There are disadvantages such as manual fold but not too hard to hook up compared to Kunh for example.The reese has few moving parts to wear out.One set of belts in about 7 years.My dad uses this thing for clipping pasture also he likes it better than a bushhog.The 8+ ft. models are heavy so it takes a larger tractor just to carry it around. Tall down grass does cause some problems if it gets into the belts.

Interesting. The dairy just replaced an 8' Reese drum mower. Main belt about every 3 years and one of the drums is peeling up at the edge.
One of the things I like about it is that it windrows the hay, one of the things I hate about it is that it windrows the hay.
It all depends on the situation. I really like the disc mower I got and the 10 footer that the dairy got to replace tje Reese is handy also.

dun

The Reese are tough no doubt. But like dun I have a love/hate relationship with this equipment for haying. Love it for clipping the pastures or brush hogging.

Dun, as far as cutting thick hay the Vicon is probably the best since it has 3 blades per rotor. Seems to have a shorter life than say a Kuhn. I would stay from any that are made in Italy.
Can anyone tell me what happened when the. Gear box will not turn the bar

Latest posts