Vicon disk mower

Help Support CattleToday:

Can't speak directly about Vicon but disc mowers in general (we have a Lely) are very nice. The cut is even, quick - even in downed grass, low maintenance. We really like ours - been using it for about ten years now. The ugly - like all new equipment - is the cost.

Dun, as far as cutting thick hay the Vicon is probably the best since it has 3 blades per rotor. Seems to have a shorter life than say a Kuhn. I would stay from any that are made in Italy.

Don't have any experience on a Vicon, but I can't say enough good things about the Vermeer.

cfpinz

Have used a 8 disk Vicon and i can tell you nothing bad about it.Problay the best machine i have ever used.I used it on a 471 Massey Fergusion mowed in high second never had any proublem.It was real heavy had to watch on sideling ground.
rattler

Dun, I had a Vicon 8 foot. Great mower. Parts available everywhere just about. When I finally gave up the only one I could find on short notice (hay season) was some crap thing from Italy. I am still using it after 5 years but work on it quite a bit. I need to get another but like all things, what I need to do versus what I can afford are two different things.

I need new rollers for the conditioner in mine. They are very expensive. Thinking about removing them.

Will cut fast and clean when working properly.

The bar is expensive and a pain to work on.

What about a New Idea 5408? A guy wan'ts to trade his in on a bigger JD.
There's also a used Fella 8 footer but I don;t know any history on it and I've never heard of them before.

Thanks
dun

dun":3muq8mb2 said:
There's also a used Fella 8 footer but I don;t know any history on it and I've never heard of them before.

Thanks
dun

The New Idea would have better parts & service support than the Fella mower. Tarver Sales is about the only Fella distributor in the USA. The New Idea will also pull with less HP than the Fella.

ironpeddler":xpg1kl7f said:
dun":xpg1kl7f said:

Thanks
dun

The New Idea would have better parts & service support than the Fella mower. Tarver Sales is about the only Fella distributor in the USA. The New Idea will also pull with less HP than the Fella.

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I need to know.

dun

Not that I've started lowing at disc mowers they're coming out of the woodwork. What about Garibaldi. About 2/3 the price of a vicon

dun

I replaced my old vicon with a Morra. It cutts fine but is way more trouble. It just does not lift right and is harder to hook up and harder to change blades. I just miss my old Vicon and the next one I buy will be another Vicon. With the cost I hope it will be a long time before i need to traid again.

The Italians have designed the Morra to look like a Kuhn but there is no comparison in quality. I have owned both.

dun":1fungsxb said:

Thanks
dun

Dun

IMHO the fella 8 ft disc mower has to be the worst engineered piece of hay equipment I have ever seen.

I could not believe what lengths we had to go through to put new belts on it. An almost total disassembly.

I looked at the manual for help in how tight the belts need to be and all it said was "tighten belts as needed"

Dub

alabama":3rp1ahdf said:
I replaced my old vicon with a Morra. It cutts fine but is way more trouble. It just does not lift right and is harder to hook up and harder to change blades. I just miss my old Vicon and the next one I buy will be another Vicon. With the cost I hope it will be a long time before i need to traid again.

Fort P is part of the ARGO family of companies. The Fort/Morra mowers are a copy of a Kuhn disc mower. This is a conventional oil bath mower. Fort/Morra's hitch is one of the hardest to hook up in the industry. They could not copy Kuhn's hitch which also means the balance of the mower is totally different than a Kuhn. Fort/Morra has no parts in common with a Kuhn. Darrell Harpe, Buy Smart and Agri-Supply are their primary distributors in the USA. Parts support and dealer support is a consideration. Fort is probably the best of the Kuhn imitators but is not close to a Kuhn.

When purchasing a disc mower, the first consideration is your tractor. How much PTO HP do you have? How much does the tractor weigh and what is the weight distribution? What size mower can I safely operate? Once you figure out your possibilities then how much production do you need? The most popular size disc mower sold in the USA is a 6 disc unit. A 6 disc unit usually measures around 8 feet. An 8' disc mower disc mower only gives you about a 13% capacity gain over a 7' mower. You will notice a gain in production when you would jump from a 7' to 9' mower but usually not just jumping one foot in size. Being you have 50 acres, a 7' disc mower would work fine for you but if you have the HP and want to go bigger you can. 7' & 8' disc mowers have greater resale value than 9' and above disc mowers. The larger mowers are usually used by the larger operators and are well used when they are traded.

DoubleK":2z1gojyu said:
Dun

IMHO the fella 8 ft disc mower has to be the worst engineered piece of hay equipment I have ever seen.

I could not believe what lengths we had to go through to put new belts on it. An almost total disassembly.

I looked at the manual for help in how tight the belts need to be and all it said was "tighten belts as needed"

Dub

I ended up with the New Idea 5408. Now I'm trying to find out waht regular service it needs. The neitghbor has one and he says every couple of years he takes off the bonnets and loads them with grease. They're surely has to be more to it then that.

dun

Use EP-0 grease but each small gearbox only needs a toothpaste tube amount of grease. EP grease is available in 0-00-000 You can mix them and any will work. Once you understand the advantages of a shaft drive mower you will not go back to the older technology of the oil bath design cutterbars. Any Snapper lawnmower dealer will have the grease in quarts.

ironpeddler":2axs86tw said:
Use EP-0 grease but each small gearbox only needs a toothpaste tube amount of grease. EP grease is available in 0-00-000 You can mix them and any will work. Once you understand the advantages of a shaft drive mower you will not go back to the older technology of the oil bath design cutterbars. Any Snapper lawnmower dealer will have the grease in quarts.

Is that the taking off the bonnet deal? I couldn;'t find anyway to lubricate the shaft and that seemed strange to me.

dun

Latest posts