VET NEEDED OR GURU ADVISE!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Tony Jr

Reaction score
I need the troops on this one. One of the new cows we bought has her back inside toes broke about 1 inch from the tip on both of them (Just noticed, don't think they were broke when we bought her). She is HEAVILY pregnant and walking duck footed with her back feet. Any concern I need to have? She is showing signs of dropping at any time. It almost looks like the weight of the pregnancy has caused it. It doesn't seem to be causing any pain when she walks. Any thoughts?

Couple of ideas hit me. One you could always sell her. Imagine you wouldtake a large hit money wise. Second keep her. I would keep her in a trap large enough to supply her with room to get a little exersize. Feed her what she needs. Have a vet look her over. While I think I understand your description of the toe, a good set of eyes is always better. Maybe she will get better. I saw a cow sell Friday with short toes and a calf that wasn't limping. ASbout a five year old and she sold for 750. Looks like she could have raised it to wean. Good luck.

Scotty

You mention she's a "new cow" you just bought.. did you buy her from a breeder or the auction barn? Is there a chance her inside toes were trimmed before you got her?

That's unfortunately a genetic / confirmation fault on the cow. If the inside "claw" of the hoof is broken shorter than the outside, she has a pretty substantial problem with distributing her weight evenly on her hooves.. which can eventually cause all kinds of lameness issues.

As mentioned, if she's pretty lame now I would also put her into a small trap until she calves at least. After she does you can determine what you want to do with her. Regardless of what you decide, if you keep her you'll probably have to consider having her feet trimmed routinely.

I'm no GURU but ....

Sounds to me like she is a slipper footed cow - long feet - the excess has broken off.

Walking duck footed? Do not know what that means.

You say she is not in pain and does not appear lame. If she is not limping I would not worry for the present. Let her have the calf and relax.

Hoof probably was too long - living on soft ground - is she on hard ground now?

Sounds like natural hoof trimming to me.

Bez

i have seen a couple of cows that we bought which had feet a little long from being in a small lot or somewhere that didn't keep them worn off. when turned out in a large pasture in time an inch or so will start to crack & eventually fall or break off & cow will be fine.

Are they longer than normal? The only thing I think of is she is foundered. It doesn't get better. Could try to hold on to her to get the calf - maybe long enough for her to raise it. If she is foundered it will eventually lead to pain. Cull her as soon as possible.

By duck footed, I was also wondering if she was foundered. Is it possible that the hooves were cut by the previous owner or is it obvious that they broke off. I had a foundered cow that was like that for about three years. She was a little slower moving than the rest but she still managed to raise decent calves. Of course all of them went to market. She probably wouldn't have stayed so long but it would have cost me money to send her to market and she was a good old cow. She went in the freezer last fall and she's still a 'good' old cow especially with a bit of onions and ketchup.

sidney411":lho5jq18 said:
Onions and ketchup????? That'll ruin a good steak IMO :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, she was an 'old' cow. She went all for grass fed, lean ground beef. Full of conjugated linoleic acids that are just the right thing for people with high cholestrol. Alot less grease in the pan when you're done cooking it, too.

Duck footed means she walks with her toes pointed more outward than normal. Her back legs almost touch when she stands.
I bought her at a sale, but she came from a breeder and I talked with him before I bought her. I would hate to lose her, she has great bloodlines and registered.
What does 'foundered' mean?
I don't think her hooves were trimmed before. I'll call the breeder and find out.
The toes are still attached, but the hoove part is broke and loose. It's not flooping around but I just noticed a crack in those two the other day and when she puts pressure on them you can see them move a little. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but I want to make sure she stays in good health for breeding reasons. She is a 8 yr. old cow and her calves will be worth more because of her blood line.
Is it worth my money and time to try to fix it?
Thanks for all your input and please keep your opinions and info coming. :cboy:

I wouldn't care if she was a direct decendant of the cow that jumped over the moon, I'd ship her. Unless her problem can be traced to something that should have been controlled. Bad trimming, stepped on something with both back feet??, or something that you can control. If its a condition she could pass on to her calves I'd get rid of her.

I've seen cows walk like that because they had bad conformation on the hind end, had an abcess(es) in one or both back hooves, or had a genetic problem that caused the hoof to grow under (there's a term for it that I can't remember; it's common to Brown Swiss, roll or rolled something or other). I've seen cows that walk that way and they last for several years (breeding back and milking well) before they come down with something else that's related to the hoof problem that causes them to be culled.

Bama,
After a long day that one made me laugh. Had a cow that came from the same bloodlines. We had to keep her in a silo so she would stay on the farm.

Tony Jr

Last post from me on this thread.

She is not lame. I am simply interpreting your words. This is probably not a founder situation.

Her toes are cracking and coming off.

I would bet my next pay cheque she has lived on soft ground. this is normal for any cow that has excess toe - especially if she is now walking on firm ground.

If you want, spend the money and have her feet trimmed - I never bother - as our ground is tough enough to keep their toes short.

Have seen it many times - provided you have given all the appropriate info.

Horses will do the same thing if not trimmed.

Does not sound like a big deal to me - let her calve out and see how she does. Bet she's a decent Mom.

Bez

Bez":35pmlkaf said:
Tony Jr

Last post from me on this thread.

She is not lame. I am simply interpreting your words. This is probably not a founder situation.

Her toes are cracking and coming off.

I would bet my next pay cheque she has lived on soft ground. this is normal for any cow that has excess toe - especially if she is now walking on firm ground.

If you want, spend the money and have her feet trimmed - I never bother - as our ground is tough enough to keep their toes short.

Have seen it many times - provided you have given all the appropriate info.

Horses will do the same thing if not trimmed.

Does not sound like a big deal to me - let her calve out and see how she does. Bet she's a decent Mom.

Bez

I agree.

VV (Guess my last post comment is out the window)

I was thinking that after I posted! You beat me to it.

I was also thinking of you on Sunday afternoon - while calving out a troublesome heifer - in the heavy pouring rain - back in a spot that you could not get to except on foot.

I have a good setup for handling cattle, but this one got away on us - mom and baby doing well - even tho' she tried me while I was carrying her kid to safety across the creek - water over my boots and deep mud everywhere. :lol: I danced a bit, and avoided being rubbed into the ground - even kept the calf out of the water.

"Too bad I did not have a veterinarian here so I could justy watch and learn. Wonder what Vickey would do?"

Got lucky and all is well.

Have a great day!

Bez

Vicky the vet":277qye3q said:
Bez, I've done enough calving in swamps etc to last me a bit. Glad you didn't call!! ;-)

V
=============
Dr. Vicky,

We need your professional reaction to the diesel/used cylinder oil on fly rubs...topic.

When you have a moment.

Anticipated thanks.

preston39":2kndhc58 said:
We need your professional reaction to the diesel/used cylinder oil on fly rubs...topic.

Hmmmm...effective but toxic. Depends which you find more important. No flies or poisoned critters.
V

Latest posts