Vertical tillage system for renovation?

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a fella over here that pulls an aerway while running a spinner spreader on the 3-point hitch of the tractor. Just enough disturbance to get better germination, especially of the bigger, fluffier seeds. I don't have any pictures of it, but he does quite a bit of work with it every year. Might be something to look at.

Most folks here are very traditional - - moldboard and then offset disk. I try to graze off the forage so I don't need fuel to bury it.
Some disk ripper use by bigger cash grain operators with more hp. Seems to require stock chopping first.
A little plowing disk usage by old Germans who hate rock picking. Seems to compact the soil a lot.
I have been working towards "minimum till" and wintering on stocks and straw. I think it can pay better than $5 cash corn.
1) improved grass/legume pasture
2) spray it out and no till in a warm season grass
3) fall chisel, lime, and spring spring tooth w/ drag attached before corn
4) bale corn stocks and xxxxxxxxxxxxx tillage before under seeding with oats
5) bale oats straw

What is the lowest cost approach to replacing my spring tooth and xxxxxxxxxxxx equipment? I have seen the ads for shiny complex vertical tillage tools. I have heard of people welding up their own ? Photos?

Stocker Steve":2m4pvv2r said:
What is the lowest cost approach to replacing my spring tooth and xxxxxxxxxxxx equipment? I have seen the ads for shiny complex vertical tillage tools. I have heard of people welding up their own ? Photos?
If you can avoid the tillage part you'll be monery ahead. A good no-till drill (even in our heavy clay mostly rock soil) works very well.

dun":1vorqx4v said:
If you can avoid the tillage part you'll be money ahead. A good no-till drill (even in our heavy clay mostly rock soil) works very well.

I agree with minimizing tillage. I have had some success with no tilling into "hay" fields, but poor stands with no tilling in to native pasture. I think you need to "earn" the right to no till. Working in lime, getting paddocks fairly level, and dealing with previous compaction, are some of the issues I bought along with the farm.

If you really want to get it going good. Burn it off, rip it up, smooth it off, plant and fert. it, and then let it grow.

I use a double drum Lawson with adjustable off-set for our renovation project – works great. They might be called Ranchworx now, not sure.

Latest posts