vermeer rebel 5400 problem

Help Support CattleToday:

i see.. well looks like its right then.

i'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.. the hay is pretty dry.. just cut on fri and probably could of baled tonight but i'm going to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

I have a 554 XL Vermeer. The belts on mine will turn real slow until you start hay in then they go fine. I have rolled over 500 rolls so far and only plugged it up once when I was starting a roll and hit a big wet clump of hay.
I think if you adjusted the pick up tEETH you will be good.

well.. ended up baling 65 bales with it today. worked out pretty good. It plugged on the first one just like it was doing before.. got a wet ball stuck and wouldn't let the core turn.

Would moving it another 1/2" help this out?

I moved to the 2nd row and it started baling good and never missed a beat the whole time. I baled the outside rows last. I could tell a pretty big difference in how it was sucking the hay.

Thanks for all the help guys!

ddd75":2188lp49 said:
well.. ended up baling 65 bales with it today. worked out pretty good. It plugged on the first one just like it was doing before.. got a wet ball stuck and wouldn't let the core turn.

Would moving it another 1/2" help this out?

I moved to the 2nd row and it started baling good and never missed a beat the whole time. I baled the outside rows last. I could tell a pretty big difference in how it was sucking the hay.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Another 1/2" more aggressive (turn to the right) wouldn't hurt a thing and if any teeth damaged/bent/broken replace them also. ALL of them will miss a bale from time to time, especially a wet clump.

Try to center the windrow up with the pickup when starting a bale, and bale the same direction the hay is raked helps. Hay that is teddered starts a roll better.

Not sure about the Rebel balers, but on my old L baler there is a small coil compression spring located at the bottom of each large extension tensioning spring. It's on the other side of the bracket that holds the bottom of the tensioner spring. This spring needs to be adjusted to 4-1/2" long when the baler is empty in order for the belts to have enough tension on them to turn before starting a bale. It also helps to open the rear gate fully and take compressed air and blow the chaff out from between the coils on the tensioner springs.

I suffered for two years with a Rebel 5400. One thing I did was change the radial pin clutch to a friction clutch with discs. Cousins borrowed the tractor and baler to bale about fifteen bales. They tried to clear a plug by turning the PTO off and on the cleat the plug. The radial pin clutch would rattle the whole drive line.They stripped the PTO drive gears and the cost to fix the tractor was right at $3500 they put a new mechanic on it and he thought he had to total disassemble the rear to get the shaft out. He did not realize that the gear and shaft could be pulled with a threaded slide hammer. I still have the tractor but it is always a problem. I finally fixed the 5400 in September I looked at a 5410 with net and made and offer of $10000 0ne year old less than a thousand bales. They offer was accepted. I cleaned the 5400 set it outside to sell and sold it for 8500. Now I am having some trouble with the 5410 and I think I know what it is will get to it when I have some hay to bale.

Seems like a lot of changes at Vermeer. Part # s have changed prices have went up. I wonder if not new ownership.

jltrent":2lw4jh29 said:
Seems like a lot of changes at Vermeer. Part # s have changed prices have went up. I wonder if not new ownership.

If they go up on prices I will probably switch brands next time I buy a roller. I have always thought that parts was reasonable priced and the roller where priced good for what you got. The Deere dealer is a lot closer to me and has better service than the Vermeer dealer.

pricefarm":3bf5mmiy said:
jltrent":3bf5mmiy said:

If they go up on prices I will probably switch brands next time I buy a roller. I have always thought that parts was reasonable priced and the roller where priced good for what you got. The Deere dealer is a lot closer to me and has better service than the Vermeer dealer.

They have a baler like the green one now and maybe trying to match their price. The part #509066001 was $54 in 2010, $72 in 2014 and now the same part with a different # is $172 at the local dealer. I found one old stock online for $78.72.

pricefarm":2v997h1i said:
Wow that's a big increase in price. I have always had a hard time finding parts online for Vermeer rollers.

These companies are learning more and more to keep/control their parts inhouse so they can control prices. The Chinese on somethings have really hurt them as it is usually of lesser quality, but some is usable. With the price of parts and labor it is a judgement call sometimes whether to junk or fix machinery. I always wanted to refurbish a MF65 diesel tractor and a Ford Major diesel tractor as my dad had one when I was little. With the price of rubber, pumps and everything else you bout couldn't give me one in bad shape.

jltrent":zyn5ay92 said:
pricefarm":zyn5ay92 said:
Wow that's a big increase in price. I have always had a hard time finding parts online for Vermeer rollers.

These companies are learning more and more to keep/control their parts inhouse so they can control prices. The Chinese on somethings have really hurt them as it is usually of lesser quality, but some is usable. With the price of parts and labor it is a judgement call sometimes whether to junk or fix machinery. I always wanted to refurbish a MF65 diesel tractor and a Ford Major diesel tractor as my dad had one when I was little. With the price of rubber, pumps and everything else you bout couldn't give me one in bad shape.

Wonder if that tornado in July had anything to do with it. Leveled a couple of their facilities in Iowa.

Latest posts