Venison

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Made a pot of venison stew yesterday -

Have a freezer full of venison, if anyone has a super recipe or idea to share with me I'll really appreciate it. Tonight I'm making Spring buck Carpaccio using the fillet which has not yet been frozen :D

Thanks guys :D

Sky - I'll try the shepherds pie thing, anything special I should do?
Deepsouth - do you crumb the meat or just season and fry?

The carpaccio turned out fine. Rolled it in coriander, black pepper and rosemary and then seared briefly it in a little olive oil. Wrapped it in cling wrap and chilled it in the fridge for an hour and then sliced it really thinly. Served it on a platter with rocket leaves, halloumi, olives, cherry tomatoes and toasted ciabatta, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Will probably try a roast this weekend.

Haven't made a roast yet but did try my hand at a sausage roll recipe that a friend sent me. Absolutely delicious, if I must say so myself :D

alisonb":22f77bja said:
Thanks guys :D

Sky - I'll try the shepherds pie thing, anything special I should do?
Deepsouth - do you crumb the meat or just season and fry?

The carpaccio turned out fine. Rolled it in coriander, black pepper and rosemary and then seared briefly it in a little olive oil. Wrapped it in cling wrap and chilled it in the fridge for an hour and then sliced it really thinly. Served it on a platter with rocket leaves, halloumi, olives, cherry tomatoes and toasted ciabatta, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Will probably try a roast this weekend.

I'm not sure what crumbing the meat is but I marinate it usually with Worcestershire sauce then flour and fry and add salt and pepper after cooking. Simple but delicious!
Those sausage rolls look great and I'm willing to bet they taste as good as they look.

alisonb":23vjxj3n said:
Haven't made a roast yet but did try my hand at a sausage roll recipe that a friend sent me. Absolutely delicious, if I must say so myself :D

Wow !!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Thanks Deepsouth and HD. :D

DSouth - crumbing is simply using breadcrumbs instead of flour.

Didn't eat venison until about 2yrs ago when I started experimenting with different dishes. Found that mixing beef, pork or lamb with the venison tamed it a little for my taste buds and so I conditioned myself to eat venison. Prepared correctly it can make a delicious meal....

How popular are venison dishes amongst our CT members, do you eat it?

alisonb":vrsx39kw said:
Thanks Deepsouth and HD. :D

DSouth - crumbing is simply using breadcrumbs instead of flour.

Didn't eat venison until about 2yrs ago when I started experimenting with different dishes. Found that mixing beef, pork or lamb with the venison tamed it a little for my taste buds and so I conditioned myself to eat venison. Prepared correctly it can make a delicious meal....

How popular are venison dishes amongst our CT members, do you eat it?

we eat 3 deer a year, Cubed steak-(salt pepper flour and FRIED) burger and sausage (90% patty) we used beef fat last year and added the leggs seasoning and it is a better sausage patty than mixed with porkfat and It keeps longer in the freezer. I grill the patties and freeze them and every morning I just pop one in the microwave for 1.5-2min while I'm cooking my eggs.

hillsdown":3h5ttitg said:
alisonb":3h5ttitg said:

Wow !!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Wow is right those look great! Any chance you are up to sharing the recipe? :tiphat:

M5farm - have never tried patties, great idea :D . We make game 'boerewors' (sausage) which can be excellent if mixed to the right proportions of fat, beef, lamb or pork - we usually use beef.

Alan - thanks. Here is the recipe that our very own Master Chef sent me, we call him Jo or Jogeephus, I think he may be certified :mrgreen: . Don't forget those little Juniper berries, they make all the difference.

VENISON SAUSAGE ROLLS.

500 grams of minced venison.
3 slices of white bread.
1 small brown onion, diced.
1/2 carrot, grated.
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped.
5 tablespoons of milk.
1 egg.
1/2 teaspoon of mixed herbs.
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
6 Juniper berries.
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley.
A good pinch of sea salt.
3 sheets of prepared frozen puff pastry.
1 egg, extra, lightly beaten.

Place the juniper berries in a mortar and pestle with the mixed herbs, pepper and salt and give a good grinding. I do this as the juniper berries tend to be a little bit gluey and the other ingredients helps to grind them up so they don't stick to the sides of the mortar.

Soak the slices of bread in the milk for a while or until they a quite soft and then place into a food processor with all other ingredients other than the extra egg and pastry. Process until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed and well combined.

It is best to work with the pastry when it is about half way thawed out. Cut the sheets of pastry in half length ways leaving the plastic separating sheets on the pastry as it makes it easier to roll the pastry around the sausage mixture.

Divide the sausage mixture into six equal parts. Place one single part of the sausage mixture onto a half sheet of pastry length ways and spread out with your fingers until it is an even for the full length of the pastry, roll the pastry over the sausage mixture removing the plastic sheet as you go. Brush a little of the beaten egg onto the last of the pastry and then cut the long roll into two equal rolls, or smaller if you wish, and then place on a baking tray lined with baking paper with the seam of the pastry on the bottom. Repeat the process for the remaining 5 sheets of pastry and sausage mix. Brush the tops of the rolls with the beaten egg.

Cook in the oven @ 220 C for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Tomato Sauce if you wish.

Makes 12 sausage rolls or more if you wish.

Thank you Alison and once again I have to thank Jo! I can't wait to try these!

alisonb":nshtn0mx said:
Alan - thanks. Here is the recipe that our very own Master Chef sent me, we call him Jo or Jogeephus, I think he may be certified :mrgreen: . Don't forget those little Juniper berries, they make all the difference.

:lol2: Certifiable (idiot) maybe but not certified. :lol2:

I have something else you need to try. When I find it I'll send it to you with your spring coming on and your fresh produce coming in season this is something that you really will love. It very healthy too.

Deer season is about to come in here. I have some guests coming from the UK to hunt and since they won't be taking their meat home with them I will have plenty of venison before long. And they will even clean them themselves. And they think I'm a generous soul. :mrgreen:

:lol:

Thanks Jo. Made Farmgirls Bulgogi (recipe that she posted some time back) last night, delicious....forgot pics but will definitely be doing some more soon. Thanks for the recipe if you happen to read this Farmgirl :D

Half of the Bulgogi meat in marinade was put in the refrigerator and we prepared it over the weekend, instead of just cooking it until the pink disappeared(as the original recipe suggests, which I followed with the first batch) I fried the meat on high and then put the heat down and allowed the marinade to reduce and become sticky....also added another chopped onion. Both methods are all gooood :D .

Latest posts