• ONLY WHEN I GET STUFF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if I have someone to love

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ellie May

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll,

I figured these were cool facts about Valentine's Day that might cheer some people up, but then again some people don't like reading my posts....skip them or deal with it...freedom of speech:

In the middle ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week. To wear your heart on your sleeve means that it is easy for other people to know how you are feeling.

Some people used to believe that if a woman saw a robin flying overhead on Valentine's Day, it meant that she would marry a sailor. If she saw a sparrow, she would marry a poor man and be very happy. If she saw a goldfinch, she would marry a millionaire.

Think of five or six names of boys and girls you might marry. As you twist the stem of an apple, recite the names until the stem comes off. You will marry the person whose name you were saying when the stem fell off.

In Wales, wooden love spoons were carved and given as gifts on February 14. Hearts, keys, and keyholes were favorite decorations on the spoons. The decoration meant "You unlock my heart."

A love seat is a wide chair. It was first made to seat one woman and her wide dress. Later, the love seat, or courting seat had two sections, often in an S-shape. In this way a couple could sit together - but not too closely!

Historians claim that the first valentine was a poem sent in 1415 by Charles, Duke of Orleans, to his wife. He was imprisoned in the Tower of London at the time.

In the United States, Miss Esther Howland is given credit for sending the first Valentine's Day cards. Commercial valentines were introduced in the 1880's and now the date is very commercialized.

Richard Cadbury invented the first Valentine's Day candy box in the late 1800's.

In Japan St. Valentine's Day is a day when women give the special men in their lives boxes of chocolate. To balance the practice, White Day was invented by the confectionary industry for men to reciprocate such gifts. White Day, celebrated one month later on March 14, is purely a Japanese creation.

Second only to Christmas, Valentine's Day brings out the card-giver in people, with an average of 1.01 billion cards purchased every year.

In the United States 64 percent of men do not make plans in advance for a romantic Valentine's Day with their sweethearts.

The Chocolate Manufacturer's Association of America says that 36 million boxes of chocolate are sold for valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day means chocolate and lots of it. According to U.S. candy manufacturers, Americans spend more than $1,105 million each Valentine's Day on candy.

Ellie May

Thanks Ellie Mae
We needed that. My wife told me that I been needing this kind of information.

ELLIE MAE

I THINK I SPEAK FOR EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD IN HOPING YOU HAD A WONDERFUL VALENTINE'S DAY!

BUT THEN MAYBE I DON'T.

Latest posts