Vaccine ?

Help Support CattleToday:

It stands to reason. It is my understanding that MLV are not supposed to do this, but if a calf had a weaker immune system, or some other factor that tipped the scales towards the illness becoming viable, then I would think he would be more than able to pass that illness on to other non-vaccinated calves. I'm interested in seeing what others think.

msscamp":24kai9xn said:
It stands to reason. It is my understanding that MLV are not supposed to do this, but if a calf had a weaker immune system, or some other factor that tipped the scales towards the illness becoming viable, then I would think he would be more than able to pass that illness on to other non-vaccinated calves. I'm interested in seeing what others think.

Hmm, well as you say it "stands to reason", I've never seen any evidence of that happening, but I don't ever remember putting vaccinated and unvaccinated calves together . I think if we comingled vaccinated and unvaccinated calves, the calves would perform as we would expect, with the incidence of sickness and chronics being much higher in the unvaccinated calves . What contribution would the vaccine have in this ? I don't know, my opinion would be that rather than hurting the unvaccinated calves that the vaccine was helping the vaccinated calves .So, I think that probably it could happen, but I don't know how to quantify or prove it .

Larry

Theoretically it would be possible... after all, a bottle of modified live vaccine always says not for use in calves nursing unvaccinated bred cows. It is possible for the virus to mutate and cause -- to some extent -- the problem it's supposed to prevent, either in the animal itself or in other animals it has contact with. It's not common, by any means, but it can happen. I had a calf I vaccinated this summer do that, and it was a real eye opener for me.

Got a calf you're wondering about?

milkmaid":3suc8uo4 said:
Theoretically it would be possible... after all, a bottle of modified live vaccine always says not for use in calves nursing unvaccinated bred cows. It is possible for the virus to mutate and cause -- to some extent -- the problem it's supposed to prevent, either in the animal itself or in other animals it has contact with. It's not common, by any means, but it can happen. I had a calf I vaccinated this summer do that, and it was a real eye opener for me.

Got a calf you're wondering about?
No I am just trying to better understand why calves that have been co-mingled at the stockyard seem to get sick more often.

denoginnizer":3tyl2wtm said:
I am just trying to better understand why calves that have been co-mingled at the stockyard seem to get sick more often.

Stress and each bringing thir own set of local bugs to the table would be my geuss.

Latest posts