Alternative to Modified Live Vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I am finally done calving; the last one was born yesterday morning, but now I have two calves that I need to vaccinate and brand. Most of my calves have already been branded and vaccinated almost two weeks ago. The bulls, cows and calves go to my uncles ranch for the summer, well except two. It will be nice not to have to feed. I probably got a months worth of hay left over.

I use
Vision 7 with Somnus
Once PMH IN
Vista 5 VLS.

I would really hate to toss 8 doses of the Once PMH, and Vista 5. Is there any alternative to them in a killed vaccine?

How old are these 2 calves?
I give newborns Inforce 3 nasal product.
For calves 3 months of age, I use BoviShield 5L5 (HB), OneShot Ultra 8. I get some bottles in 5 doses of the BS5L5.
Not sure, but I think a killed vaccine (must give booster) will cost more than thowing away 8 doses of the MLV??? and the labor of 2 workups.

How old are these 2 calves?
I give newborns Inforce 3 nasal product.
For calves 3 months of age, I use BoviShield 5L5 (HB), OneShot Ultra 8. I get some bottles in 5 doses of the BS5L5.
Not sure, but I think a killed vaccine (must give booster) will cost more than thowing away 8 doses of the MLV??? and the labor of 2 workups.
One is about a week old, and the other is two days old.

OK - from what I have been taught, you are much better off giving a nasal product. The nasal products affect their system differently than an injected vaccine because of the cow's colostrum.
So, you have been giving all those products to your newborn calves? I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it. But, a simple nasal spray will hold them til they are 3 months old. Then their system will do better with all the other vaccines you want/should give.