Vaccine Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Carrie

Reaction score
What is all y'alls policy on keeping an open multi-dose vaccine bottle? I always seem to have a few doses left and hate to throw them away. Can you keep these till the expiration date, or does that change once you've opened the vial? If so, how long could you reasonably keep them around?

Thanks,

Carrie

MLVs where you have to mix don't remain effective for very long.

The others, depending on what they are for I might hang on to for a few weeks if they need a second dose, but I'm very careful not to put a dirty needle in the bottle.

Vaccines, once openned or mixed, or not refridgerated have a very short shelf life. Once you break the seal, and if it is exposed to sun, you have less than 45 minutes to use the bottle.
I have to say, that if you are going to the expense and time to vaccinate, you want to make sure you are giving what works.

rockridgecattle":350pp0qz said:
Vaccines, once openned or mixed, or not refridgerated have a very short shelf life. Once you break the seal, and if it is exposed to sun, you have less than 45 minutes to use the bottle.
I have to say, that if you are going to the expense and time to vaccinate, you want to make sure you are giving what works.
That might be correct for live virus vaccines. Killed vaccines will last much longer refrigerated and if you always use a new needle for each injection.

Killed vaccines can last a bit longer yes, however, that means you need to keep them refridgerated while working the cows. Mean refridge temp should be between 1-4 degrees celcius. You will have to convert to F. As well, those vaccines can not be exposed to sunlight for any amount of time...just like ML.
There is just too many things that can go wrong with any vaccine, once exposed to sunlight, once warmed a bit, once the seal is broken. If I am taking the time to do the job, paying for the vaccines, I want to make sure that it works. Saving a couple of doses just does not pay in the long run. The couple of $'s saved now may possibly come back and bite in the not so distant future. Why chance it?

rockridgecattle":q4m94i2b said:
Killed vaccines can last a bit longer yes, however, that means you need to keep them refridgerated while working the cows. Mean refridge temp should be between 1-4 degrees celcius. You will have to convert to F. As well, those vaccines can not be exposed to sunlight for any amount of time...just like ML.
There is just too many things that can go wrong with any vaccine, once exposed to sunlight, once warmed a bit, once the seal is broken. If I am taking the time to do the job, paying for the vaccines, I want to make sure that it works. Saving a couple of doses just does not pay in the long run. The couple of $'s saved now may possibly come back and bite in the not so distant future. Why chance it?

Killed virus vaccines should be warmed up to room temp. before using and multidose bottles can be refrigerated again and will remain effective at least until the expiration date on the bottle.

Latest posts