Vaccine expiration dates?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Does anyone use vaccines past expiratain date? It is Vira Shield a killed vaccine. Expired end of September and we usually work mid November so it would be six weeks out. Got to buy some anyway but if I could use a couple doses out of it I could save a buying one extra bottle. Trying to save every buck possible. Guess I am too tight. :lol2:

I am not one to use expired vaccines at all. I wouldnt risk the chance if its only a couple vaccines. I would rather buy new ones and use those. I would imagine that using a modified live or live vaccine expired would be worse than using a killed vaccine.
But to be safe I would not use it. JMO

I'll offer a different opinion, I think if refrigerated it would last at least 6 weeks after the expiration date . I've used it longer than that. Nothing scientific to back it up, just what I do. I guess Tom I'm like you a little tight.

Larry

I don't know. I would use them , I have been told that if stored properly you have up to six months with most things ..

You could always ask your vet and get their opinion. They know times are tight for us right now and will give you the best advice for you and your cattle.

But I guess I am like Larry too, every penny counts.

It won't help you now but try to pay attention to the dates next time you buy. I have two local stores and one store typically has vaccines with ex. dates over a year out. The other store seems to be less than one year until the vaccines expire.

My vet says that he doesn't think he has ever used a vaccine that wasn't expired on his cattle he said that as long as they were stored properly he wouldn't be afraid of them
he says the same thing on alot of meds he uses are expired only thing they manufacture will not stand behind the product he says exp dates are more for the manufactures liability than useful life of the drug

novaman":1s9zrcda said:
It won't help you now but try to pay attention to the dates next time you buy. I have two local stores and one store typically has vaccines with ex. dates over a year out. The other store seems to be less than one year until the vaccines expire.

Vet ordered this for me so I did not have that choice.

I think the main reason for exp.dates is so you will have to buy more.
I try to use it within a couple of months after date.

tom4018":luz2xrbd said:
Does anyone use vaccines past expiratain date? It is Vira Shield a killed vaccine. Expired end of September and we usually work mid November so it would be six weeks out. Got to buy some anyway but if I could use a couple doses out of it I could save a buying one extra bottle. Trying to save every buck possible. Guess I am too tight. :lol2:

You bet I do! If it has been stored properly, hasn't changed color, and doesn't have any little particles or is cloudy looking - I'll use it up to 6 months past the expiration date. The color change, particles, and cloudiness was advice about things to look out for I got from my vet.

If it's an unused - meaning you haven't been in & out of it with a needle - and it's been properly refrigerated since you got it, it's *probably* OK, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my own cows - but I wouldn't sell it to a client, and while I can't tell you with all certainty that it's still effective - but I'd bet you a Coke it'd still be good.

That said, if you're buying more, and just need this bottle just to finish up a few head, hold it 'til the end of the herdwork, and make note of which cows/calves you vaccinate with it, so that if you encounter any problems, you'll know better next time.

Additionally, by vaccinating your herd, you're not necessarily going to 'immunize' every single animal - but if you can get 65-70%(or more) of them successfully immunized, then the chances are that if a pathogen(virus, bacteria, etc.) is introduced to the herd, it'll more than likely encounter an immunized animal and not get a chance to amplify or spread.

My BIL the Vet says that you can use expired vaccines and medicine, they don't get less effective, just the sterility is out of date.

The other side of the coin.

What is it worth to you to replace that animal if you screw it up for whatever reason?

10-15 bucks vs an animal - 99% of the time you might be ok - what if you are wrong?

How long do you want to wait on expiry?

Some will wait a day, some a week, some a month, some a year?

Sometimes we can be penny wise and pound foolish

Bez+

Bez+":16fm25cl said:
The other side of the coin.

What is it worth to you to replace that animal if you screw it up for whatever reason?

10-15 bucks vs an animal - 99% of the time you might be ok - what if you are wrong?

How long do you want to wait on expiry?

Some will wait a day, some a week, some a month, some a year?

Sometimes we can be penny wise and pound foolish

Bez+
I'm thinking the same thing. How many will use an expired vaccine and really know how effective it was? The idea is not to have these things pop up. Use an expired vaccine and it could blow up in your face. If/when it does you will be sorry you saved those few bucks. Further, how long do you go over before you say its too far gone? Last year you may have gotten by with a month past expiration. This year you might try 2 months. How do you draw a line in the sand and then stick by it? I'm not saying I've never used something that was expired but I avoid it if at all possible.

Bez+[/quote]
I'm thinking the same thing. How many will use an expired vaccine and really know how effective it was? The idea is not to have these things pop up. Use an expired vaccine and it could blow up in your face. If/when it does you will be sorry you saved those few bucks. Further, how long do you go over before you say its too far gone? Last year you may have gotten by with a month past expiration. This year you might try 2 months. How do you draw a line in the sand and then stick by it? I'm not saying I've never used something that was expired but I avoid it if at all possible.[/quote]

Then again you have to wonder maybe this isn't a tactic the drug comapnies use to shorten the time inbetween where you have to spend more money. I think the vaccines that you have to mix the sterile soln with the vaccine are the worst, it usually works out where you got to mix a whole other bottle and these vaccines can't be saved so it is a waste of money-ie.. the Cattlemaster vaccines for lepto dairy animals. I have had to buy smaller dosages which costs more, just not to waste vaccine.Anymore vaccines are pretty expensive, in times like we have experienced the past year, I know many who have just cut out their vaccine programs totally to just survive.

GMN

Well I guess I should say what I did since I originally started the post.

I trashed the old stuff and bought new. I buy mine in 10 dose bottles anyway since we have a small herd. We use a killed vaccine, what I had left was about 5 doses in a bottle from spring working. Did not feel it was worth the risk to save $30 dollars. If I have a partial bottle left I have been using it if the date is ok, we always use a new needle so nothing should be going back into the bottle. One thing i like about the 10 dose bottles is I can usually work different pastures at different times using a new bottle but no matter what I do seems like we waster some every year.

Guess I should buy or sell some to get to a even number. :lol2:

tom4018":3mw151xb said:
Guess I should buy or sell some to get to a even number. :lol2:

Seems like I never come out with an even number of doses even when I plan it so I'm vaccinating an even number of cattle. :p Amazing how a 10-dose vial can hold either 9 or 11 doses but never 10. :lol2:

MLV are only good for a few hours after reconstitution - those I wouldn't try to re-use unless it's not a big deal if the animals aren't vaccinated. Killed vaccines I don't have a problem using after the expiration date as long as they are still unopened. Pretty much once you open and use them, unless they've been kept refrigerated and sterile technique/new needle used for each time you enter the bottle, I'd consider them contaminated. With the initial info you provided I said use them, with the new info I'd say you made the right choice with trashing the bottles and buying new.

Latest posts