vaccinations and aborting

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry you lost the calf. Glad Pfizer is giving it attention.
The Cattlemaster FP5 is 2ml & the FP5L5 is 5ml.
I use the Bovi-Shield. Just run a heavy bred late heifer through with her group this Mon. No ill effects shown yet.
However, as stated above she was already on this vaccine and I normally administer prior to breeding. Good luck and please share the outcome.

fitz

jerry27150":1u5enxhd said:
cow- calf weekly had an arcticle on this subject also. same results as the program on rfd
Any link? We do not get RFD, and what is the cow-calf weekly?
Thanks!

Oh, and interesting, the heifer was in standing heat this morning, only one week after aborting. Isn't that a bit unusual?

If a cow isn't lactating and if there were no complications associated with the abortion (e.g. retained placenta), beef breeds will often cycle in a week or two. She may not settle at this heat cycle- but she might!

milkmaid":110rc661 said:
If a cow isn't lactating and if there were no complications associated with the abortion (e.g. retained placenta), beef breeds will often cycle in a week or two. She may not settle at this heat cycle- but she might!
We strictly AI, so no coverage. We will not start our AI for fall calves until the end of this month, right around Thanksgiving. I just thought it was odd that she was in heat so soon!

Final update; Pfizer called me today. All tests have been completed and the cause of death on the fetus is undetermined. There was no evidence of BVD, IBR, or any other virus that can cause an abortion. There was no lesions or gross observations, they checked every organ including the brain. Basically, the calf died for unknown reasons, not vaccine related. Of course, they do not test for genetic abnormalities, but that was a thought that came up in our conversation. My vet still stands behind the product, and so do I.
So, we will breed her again and hope she can carry a full term calf. Maybe I will remember to update this thread in a year with hopefully good news! Oh, and the heifer is in heat again today, 16 days from her last heat and 23 days post aborting. We are putting CIDR's in next week (7 day protocol), so I think I will include her in the group to set up for AI the week after Thanksgiving.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3g7qirz3 said:
Final update; Pfizer called me today. All tests have been completed and the cause of death on the fetus is undetermined. There was no evidence of BVD, IBR, or any other virus that can cause an abortion. There was no lesions or gross observations, they checked every organ including the brain. Basically, the calf died for unknown reasons, not vaccine related. Of course, they do not test for genetic abnormalities, but that was a thought that came up in our conversation. My vet still stands behind the product, and so do I. So, we will breed her again and hope she can carry a full term calf. Maybe I will remember to update this thread in a year with hopefully good news! Oh, and the heifer is in heat again today, 16 days from her last heat and 23 days post aborting. We are putting CIDR's in next week (7 day protocol), so I think I will include her in the group to set up for AI the week after Thanksgiving.

i can be a little obtuse so bear that in mind but are you saying you are ging vaccinate your bred cows again with the same product ?
if so do you believe the benefit outweighs the risk ?
i haven't looked into the product so correct me if i am wrong but you vaccinate the bred cows to carry the immunity of ibr, bvd and etc to the calf ?
would there not be less risk to vaccinate the calf ?
i'm not picking just would like your thoughts

edit just read the vaccine was cattlemaster gold, so your are vaccinating for abortion diseases prevention
sorry i didn't read the entire thread.

Cross 7
Yes, you answered your question. Our main concern here is BVD, since we hit a ton of shows all year and show breds. So this vaccine is important to us. We know there is a risk of exposure, so we try to offset that by using a good vaccine program for our bred heifers.

Killed vaccines give excellent response and protection and are much safer and less costly. Modified live vaccines should be reserved for use in terminal cattle, such as in feedlot situations.

this came from the farm press link posted earlier

cross_7":1kfurd90 said:
Killed vaccines give excellent response and protection and are much safer and less costly. Modified live vaccines should be reserved for use in terminal cattle, such as in feedlot situations.

this came from the farm press link posted earlier

sorry not :deadhorse:
but i find this interesting and thought it may help someone else
"You're giving an abortifacient agent to a pregnant cow," Barling says. "The bovine species is the one of the few if any animal species that has a label for MLV use during pregnancy. MLV's are harmful to the fetus. The developing bovine fetus is no exception."

IBR is well known as a respiratory disease in stocker and feedlot cattle but this role as an abortion-causing agent is less well understood, says Clinton Jones, a biomedical professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

In fact, Jones says, both the virulent strains of IBR and the modified live vaccine strains of IBR go into a form of "latency" -- more or less a hibernation -- after the animals' bodies overcome them. The animals will carry these latent organisms the rest of their lives and the IBR can be awakened from latency and become active again by a stressful event such as pregnancy or a immune suppression.

OK, so I thought I would bring this up again. Just to update, this heifer that aborted ended up coming up lame on both rear feet for several weeks, maybe even a month. The vet was out, and could not find anything specific, but we treated her with a heavy dose of antibiotics. I thought maybe she hurt herself getting up, but it was surely just a guess. She was AI bred, and stuck. Her back toes then grew really fast, and started crossing over, so I called the trimmer out to do the show heifers in May and decided to have her looked at also. When we put her on the table, this is what he found (mind you, this was May, 7 months after her abortion):
IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

He was amazed that she was not lame right then and there, and that she should have been dead. His speculation was that when she was lame last fall, she had foundered. All of her toe was dead, black, necrotic tissue. He trimmed back as much as he felt comfortable with (pictured above), and left her. When he put the table down and let the cow lose, he sat and scratched his head in amazement about her feet and that now, she was as sound as any other animal!

Now, fast forward to today. Several of our cows have come up sore on the rear. Several swelled, like foot rot, and then went down after antibiotic treatment. So, I had him back out to look at a few, all of them fall calvers due in the next 30 days. The heifer that aborted last year was not sore, but I decided to have her done also to check up on her status, and try to even out her feet (the one toe is extremely short, the outside toe is normal). MOST of the cows that were sore had what he called a "metabolic" hardship grove, with some issues with soft soles because of the ton of rain, then nothing so we now have hard packed soil. Anyway, when we put this heifer on the table, here is what we see:
IMG_14471.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

Obvious hardship grove on her, with the grove being recessed at least 1/4 of an inch! By the hoof growth, we estimate it occurred right about the time of vaccination ON ALL FALL COWS! The hardship grove tells us that the cows had a major metabolic issue at that time that disrupted the growth of the foot. Remember the beginning of this story, the cows all standing under the trees panting and drooling? I fully believe that it was the hardship, because nothing other major happened, like change in mineral or feed or anything! All of these cows have current minor issues with the white line separating, but should grow out of it soon.
So, even almost a year after my vaccine incident, I am suffering the effects (or rather, my cows are). I have not told my vet about this recent visit with the trimmer (the vet is the one that recommends him to everyone), but a few weeks ago we talked about waiting to vaccinate until AFTER October when all of the fall calves are due and should be born. Now, I am thinking, time to change vaccines!
I just thought I would update this thread, just in case anyone else ever runs into this same problem.... live and learn!

We have two cows with a sore back foot and one is due in a couple of weeks and the other 2-3 weeks after her. I don't know whether to give them a shot of LA300 now or wait until after they calve...I hate running them through the chute this close to calving.

Latest posts