Vaccination location for show cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
Vaccination location for show cattle?

I don't show cattle but have a friend that has just sold some bull calves to a family that planes to show them. We are supposed to cut them this weekend and give them a black leg shot. As y'all know, a black leg shot leaves a knot under the skin and will show on the calf's neck. It seams to me a saw something a while back suggesting another location to vaccinate the calves other that the neck to hide the knot.
What do you show people know about this?

next to the tail in that same fold of skin that you'd use to attach a immobiliser clamp to. If you have two shots to give, give one either side of the tail.

KNERSIE":w83gwgi6 said:
next to the tail in that same fold of skin that you'd use to attach a immobiliser clamp to. If you have two shots to give, give one either side of the tail.

Thank you. I have never used an immobiliser clamp but I assume that is on each side of the tail. The black leg is sub Q and the cattlemaster is IM. does that matter?

next to the tail is ideal for SQ, I have no experience with cattlemaster, but usually an IM can be given SQ. Does cattlemaster also leave a knot? The reason for SQ is usually because of tissue damage if given IM, I'll try and find out about the Cattlemaster.

KNERSIE":1f58vhb4 said:
next to the tail is ideal for SQ, I have no experience with cattlemaster, but usually an IM can be given SQ. Does cattlemaster also leave a knot? The reason for SQ is usually because of tissue damage if given IM, I'll try and find out about the Cattlemaster.

Well Cattlemaster goes IM but it don't leave a knot so the neck should be fine. Thank you

BTW for black leg I use vision 7

We have always given shots on the left side of the calf, in the neck right above the shoulder, underneath the skin, this will leave a knot, but on the side of the calf away from the judge it's not as visible. The blackleg vaccine is bad to knot up but it will eventually fade away.

Standard protocol for all cattle intended for slaughter is to give all shots in the neck - whether IM or SQ. The whole point is to minimize damage to high value muscle. We often have to sign documents on loads of calves headed to the feedlot verifying that all shots have been in the neck.

The only thing we give behind the neck anymore are our synchronization shots for mature cows.

http://www.revalor.com/implantguide.asp
This guide addresses implanting and vaccination locations.

For show cattle give on the left side. If you do get the occasional knot that doesn't go away, its much less visible in this location.

We vaccinate every calf for blackleg (among other things) twice every year (over 200 per year) with Vision 7 and I've yet to have a knot that doesn't go away in a week or two.

If they can be tied up, spray cold water on the knot for 5 or 10 minutes a day, this will help it to go down faster.

TxSimbrahShower":w9cgxqo8 said:
If they can be tied up, spray cold water on the knot for 5 or 10 minutes a day, this will help it to go down faster.

I wish I would've learned that last summer! My calf got a case of foot rot like a week before fair and he had a knot on his neck at fair because we gave him a shot that only had 1 day withdrawl time, luckily.

when you give the shot. when you take it out just rub your hand on the injection site and it will keep it down

If you do give the shot in the neck just rub it with some presure every day and it will go down. but we also give shots in their "armpit" where their front leg connects with the body there is some loose skin and you can give it here. The skin right next to the tail haed is also a very popular spot. any of those places we use.

SHOWMOM":110riqbp said:
We have always given shots on the left side of the calf, in the neck right above the shoulder, underneath the skin, this will leave a knot, but on the side of the calf away from the judge it's not as visible. The blackleg vaccine is bad to knot up but it will eventually fade away.

Same here!

Latest posts