Vaccination for calves

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
I am wanting to raise bottle calves on nurse cow. What kind of vaccination would you use on these calves and when would you do it? Any other advice on raising calves with nurse cows I could sure use it! Thanks

Give them a type A blackleg shot as soon as you get them, then give seven way blackleg and type A again and deworm a couple weeks before you wean, thats also when I would cut or band them.

I use an intranasal vaccine for IBR, PI2, and BRSV as soon as I get the calves home. This can be at a day old or several weeks old. We buy beef calves from a couple of sources, as well as from the sale barn when we have to, so one never knows what they have been exposed to. I agree with the blackleg/clostridial vaccine, its always the best doing calf that has a problem with 'overeating disease'.

I keep the calves in a couple of barn lots and the cows go to pasture. The cows come up 2x a day for feed and I let the calves nurse. I have grafted calves onto the cows in the past but have had trouble getting the nurse cows bred back when I do that because the calves get them sucked down too much. That being said I have two jersey heifers now that are raising calves that way, if I don't see them cycling in a few weeks I will start separating them like I stated above.

Nurse cows are an enjoyable way to raise calves but I don't know how profitable they are with the prices calves are bringing now.

I like a nurse cow that will raise 2 calves without much grain better than one that will raise 4 and requires a 5 gallon bucket! Good luck.

Give them a type A blackleg shot as soon as you get them, then give seven way blackleg and type A again and deworm a couple weeks before you wean, thats also when I would cut or band them.

I am new in raising calves. I think this suggestions will help me a lot in taking care of them.

Latest posts