Vaccinate ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Vaccinations are not 100% effective. Some are closer to 100% than others, and some are closer to the other end of the spectrum. We try though. The reason vaccination even works is not because every animal in a herd is solidly immune to X disease - it's because a certain percentage of the herd is immune, generally 80% or greater, depending on living conditions/management - and this herd immunity protects the animals whose immune systems did not respond when they were vaccinated.

That principle applies to regions of the country as well - herds that are not vaccinated are generally protected by herds in the area that are vaccinated. Those of you who don't vaccinate are just lucky - that's it. Sometimes you get unlucky - such as in the case of ranchers who have disease outbreaks in their herds when no one else's herd is affected. That's when you know who vaccinates and who doesn't...

TexasBred":348rv9of said:
All the BS about the pros and cons of having a vaccination program and I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the dog owners on here have their dog vaccinated again rabies even tho there may not have been a rabies case in the county in 25 years. I can never justify skimping on vaccinating for something that could wipe me and every neighbor within miles completely out. The most expensive part of the whole program is my time and I'll gladly donate that.

We vaccinate our kids against many diseases? Even though there is a relatively low probability they will get many of them. why not the same logic for our cattle?

It is like buying insurance. you probably won't need it... but then again you might.

Other than the cost of the vaccination, which we can analyze until the cows come home, why NOT vaccinate? Jim

ok, what would be the best to use to vaccinate new calves with and when? I have used Covexin 8 in the passed. Is it ok or is there some thing better out? Thanks

I have read the past 4-5 pages was amazed noone mentioned vaccinating your children (until the last post by SRbeef)
Vaccinating does not guarantee your cattle won't get the disease you vaccinated for - but, most likely, if they do, they will have enough immunity to fight it off & survive - where the unvaccinated, most likely, won't.
IMO - if you don't vacc - you, most likely, aren't thinking about your buyers. Your cattle survive at home with very little exposure - but, when you SELL your cattle, you are selling animals with no immunity that are going to be co-mingled with many others & WILL, most likely, get sick.
Different strokes for diff folks. I prefer getting premiums at sale time & having repeat buyers (feedlot & seedstock buyers).

Caustic Burno":3ptb9pm5 said:
Been down the bangs road, thats a very bad road. When the state first started testing. Whole herd quaranteened State Vet would come out and test every sixty days seemed one would always fail, then he would brand a B on the jaw and it had to go to slaughter. Run one through the salebarn with a B branded on the jaw see what that brings you.
It was a conspiracy to decrease the numbers of domestic cattle. My Gpa lost his heard in Quitman before Lake Fork came in due to the state testing heavy breds that commonly gave false positives. The state declared them bangers, branded em, and sent them to the salebarn. Just another example of the gov manipulating the commodity supply.

Latest posts