when and how to vaccinate?

Help Support CattleToday:

tennessean

Reaction score
i just bought a few beef steers at the local sale barn. i don't really know if they have been wormed or vaccinated. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to worn and vaccinate not knowing the history of the animal? if it is a good idea to worm and vaccinate any suggestions on what vacs and wormers to use?thnks in advance

I would absolutely worm and vaccinate them. Give 'em a few days to settle down, settle in, and recover from the stress, then worm and vaccinate them. Ivermectin - either pour-on or injectable, or Cydectin will get the job done for you. As far as vaccines, my area is different than yours so I can't suggest a vaccine protocal. You probably want to talk to your vet about that, but I would suggest you ask about Black Leg, and IBR in particular. You probably also want to think about Warbexing, so talk to your vet about heel-fly season in your area(it varies from region to region) and when would be the best time to treat for grubs. If you treat for grubs at the wrong time of year, you run the risk of killing your animals.

will hurt them if they have already been wormed and had vac before i bought them. then i do it again?

tennessean":3g6674gu said:
will hurt them if they have already been wormed and had vac before i bought them. then i do it again?

No, it won't hurt them.