Vaccinate ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I read in this month's Gulf Coast Cattleman that 40% of cattlemen do not vaccinate. That seems astounding to me. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't. Does anyone not vaccinate, or know someone who doesn't?

cypressfarms":3pyd3jo3 said:
I read in this month's Gulf Coast Cattleman that 40% of cattlemen do not vaccinate. That seems astounding to me. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't. Does anyone not vaccinate, or know someone who doesn't?
I know several people that don't vaccinate worm or anything I know for certain their cows haven't seen a corral in 10 yrs or more
a few of these guys run maybe 20-30 hd and a couple of them run 100 plus cows

i know people that don't vaccinate. I also know people that don't buy insurance. Same thing. When Murphy lays the law down they'll both wish they had of. I've got too much invested to take a chance for a few bucks a head.

Worming, vaccinating and squirting runs around 6-8 bucks a head a year. I agree it's awfully cheap insurance

cypressfarms":1v9ceuha said:

There's people around who still have spring round-ups. There are times it appears older cows have never seen a human. They head for the cedar breaks up on the hills and dogs are the only thing to get them out with.

I vaccinate, worm and administer any treatment required.

I have a neighbor that barely feeds his cows. No vaccination, no worming, no fly control, no calving season. Half-***ed fences that the cows are always through. Why bother having the cows?

jkwilson":3lyr98hk said:
I have a neighbor that barely feeds his cows. No vaccination, no worming, no fly control, no calving season. Half-***ed fences that the cows are always through. Why bother having the cows?
Sounds exactly like my neighbor,also known to us as "lazy Neoghbor". His operation is a joke. He doesn't vaccinate so I make sure I do. Just finished fall working today.

Isomade":ziwyaq5d said:
jkwilson":ziwyaq5d said:
Sounds exactly like my neighbor,also known to us as "lazy Neoghbor". His operation is a joke. He doesn't vaccinate so I make sure I do. Just finished fall working today.

That's ALL my neighbors :devil2:

we dont vacc anything at all.an we rarely worm the cows or heifers.but im slowly changing the worming thing.thus trying to run the cows through the squeeze 2x a year.we do use some feed an protine tubs.90% of our cows dont know what feed sack is.

cypressfarms":3u9ukcsp said:

I need to correct the above. When I re-read the article I messed the % up - Less than 40% have a vaccination program. Now I'm even more confounded.

bigbull338":10wh397x said:
we dont vacc anything at all.an we rarely worm the cows or heifers.but im slowly changing the worming thing.thus trying to run the cows through the squeeze 2x a year.we do use some feed an protine tubs.90% of our cows dont know what feed sack is.

Do you know your weaning weights (205 days) of your calves?

cypressfarms":mgz9bf5d said:
bigbull338":mgz9bf5d said:

Do you know your weaning weights (205 days) of your calves?

Unless you are going to sell the calves to a order buyer or retain ownership, why would u even keep a calf too 205 days... Get em to 400 lbs, dont cut or vac.... and send em on to the sale barn.....Its easier on you, your momma cows and your farm

we dont send light calves to the sale.we keep most all of them to the 650 to 800lb range.an those that go before that weigh 500 to 600lbs.they dock beefmaster an beefmaster cross calves anyway.last year we sent 5 calves that was 750 to 950lbs.

Big Bull all calves sold in the deep south are going to get docked , whether they have ear or not....The only time of the year it doesnt happen is in the first part of the year, Jan,Feb, Mar

houstoncutter":11oydkso said:
Big Bull all calves sold in the deep south are going to get docked , whether they have ear or not....The only time of the year it doesnt happen is in the first part of the year, Jan,Feb, Mar
They don't get "docked" so much as they simply just sell for what they're worth at the time.

At the salebarns here they announce any vaccinations you have done. The vaccinated calves will sell for 10 cents more, weaned and vaccinated will 20 cents higher, yet there are still a lot of calves straight off the cow with no shots. It all depends on the individuals facilities, etc. But to not do it is leaving a lot of money on the table.

bigbull338":1ls8yxxk said:
they dock beefmaster an beefmaster cross calves anyway.

I have some beefmaster cows that I breed to an Angus plus bull and the resulting calves look pretty nice - black ofcourse - not too much ear and they dont get docked!

i have 2 reg red paint beefmaster cows bred to an angus bull.they are due to calve in march.so at weaning heifer or bull calves they will go to the sale.they are trying to get me to keep beefmaster X heifer calves.

The only people I know who do not vaccinate are the ones that are selling organic beef. That is the reason I don't sell organic beef, I like vaccinating my animals.

Dave":3rjriu18 said:
At the salebarns here they announce any vaccinations you have done. The vaccinated calves will sell for 10 cents more, weaned and vaccinated will 20 cents higher, yet there are still a lot of calves straight off the cow with no shots. It all depends on the individuals facilities, etc. But to not do it is leaving a lot of money on the table.
And even that would simply be on the "honor system" as there is no real way to prove "on sight" if they have or have not been vaccinated.

Latest posts