Utah Mine disaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie

Reaction score
Is there anyone on site other than the owner? He seems to be totally in charge of what's going on there. I'm not sure if he has the best interests of his workers at heart or is just covering his backside. Surely there are people from Federal and state agencies around helping with this thing? It's a non-union mine, BTW. Apparently the media isn't able to talk to the families of the trapped miners. Even their names haven't been released.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5035888.html

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6570325

MHSA Regulations are much stiffer than OSHA regulations. You can bet your booty that they are getting a whole bunch of attention. I worked underground back in '81 and the regulations were amazing.

That guy sounds like a total lucatic. I don't know, but I would say those men are dead. And you are right. Their families are being sequestered? Since when do we do that outside of some sort of crime investigation?

I believe that may be just it. This is a crime. No telling what really happened. That Murray guy ain't willing to talk abou it.

Frankie":375gtmjx said:
Is there anyone on site other than the owner? He seems to be totally in charge of what's going on there. I'm not sure if he has the best interests of his workers at heart or is just covering his backside. Surely there are people from Federal and state agencies around helping with this thing? It's a non-union mine, BTW. Apparently the media isn't able to talk to the families of the trapped miners. Even their names haven't been released.

I have not followed this very much, just got a glimpse on TV but if I was a family member of one of the men trapped, I would not want to talk to the media and I would not want my loved ones named released. I would want to be left alone to tend to the task at hand and could care less if anyone around the world new who we were.

So maybe the media is being shut out from the families by the choice of the families themselves. I doubt anyone is holding the family members hostage to keep them from talking to the press if they wanted to.

aplusmnt":y1gi4pcd said:
Frankie":y1gi4pcd said:

I have not followed this very much, just got a glimpse on TV but if I was a family member of one of the men trapped, I would not want to talk to the media and I would not want my loved ones named released. I would want to be left alone to tend to the task at hand and could care less if anyone around the world new who we were.

So maybe the media is being shut out from the families by the choice of the families themselves. I doubt anyone is holding the family members hostage to keep them from talking to the press if they wanted to.
I don't think anyone doubts the media are the biggest scumbags in the world. I think that because no family members have stepped forward and complained that they probably think the recovery efforts are what they should be.

Lammie":1ocz4y9l said:
. I don't know, but I would say those men are dead. .

depends...If they were not killed outright..they got a chance. Especially If the mine has a refuge station near by or acess to some means of making a tempory bulkhead or refuge. Miners at Springhill in 58? miners have survied as much 14 days before they were found.

Lets all just keep praying.

Yes, lets all pray they find some signs of life. The first drill broke thru just a few minutes ago... they heard nothing.

Yes, it doesn't sound good for the miners or their families. I wonder what percentage of miners in the US are "Mexican Nationals?"

I am sure hoping for the best. I have been tuning on and off to CNN and it doesn't look good. What an awful thing.

I read today that the names of some of the men have been released, they said the families did not release the names, the media found them out somehow. Kind of makes me wonder if the rescuers aren't just grasping at straws as to where they might be, they said on the news they missed the mark, so now what?

GMN

GMN":28oldw1r said:
I read today that the names of some of the men have been released, they said the families did not release the names, the media found them out somehow. Kind of makes me wonder if the rescuers aren't just grasping at straws as to where they might be, they said on the news they missed the mark, so now what?

GMN

They had two drills working. They said the smaller one that got through into the wrong place probably "drifted" as they drilled. The larger one still going will be more accurate...they say. I have to say that the owner of this mine seems more concerned that he push coal than about the men in the mine. More family members are coming forward with names and information about the ones trapped. I just don't understand the secrecy. No one forces a family member to talk to the media. But to have the police guarding the building where they're staying seems a bit extreme to me.

Frankie":3gcjuggi said:
GMN":3gcjuggi said:

GMN

They had two drills working. They said the smaller one that got through into the wrong place probably "drifted" as they drilled. The larger one still going will be more accurate...they say. I have to say that the owner of this mine seems more concerned that he push coal than about the men in the mine. More family members are coming forward with names and information about the ones trapped. I just don't understand the secrecy. No one forces a family member to talk to the media. But to have the police guarding the building where they're staying seems a bit extreme to me.

They had a cousin to one of the trapped workers on TV and she said the families were insisting on anonymity.

They saw what happened at the Sago mine and didn't want reporters sleeping on their doorstep.

MikeC":vvii3c4u said:
Frankie":vvii3c4u said:
GMN":vvii3c4u said:

GMN

They had a cousin to one of the trapped workers on TV and she said the families were insisting on anonymity.

They saw what happened at the Sago mine and didn't want reporters sleeping on their doorstep.

Some family members had given a photo to the media and asked they use it instead of the one they had been using. I haven't watched enough to know what photo was being used, but apparently the family didn't like it.

Frankie":33xt9hv1 said:
GMN":33xt9hv1 said:

GMN

I think it is good that during this tragedy the medua isn't bothering these people. I can't imagine some one in my family dieing and some scumbag reporter putting cameras and a microphone in my face. Why are you so behind the medias right to bother these people at this time?

auctionboy":3jmk4kmo said:
I can't imagine some one in my family dieing and some scumbag reporter putting cameras and a microphone in my face. Why are you so behind the medias right to bother these people at this time?

You can't imagine. Well, gee whiz, if you can't imagine, I guess that says it all. :roll: I'm not behind the media's right to "bother" "these people", but shutting them up in a building and putting police around them bothers me....a lot.

We've been told that the floors in the part of the mine that collapsed had been heaving recently. We've been told management knew about it. We've been told that one of the trapped miners was "becoming apprehensive..." We've been told by miners that "complaining means the loss of a job." We've been told by a miner who used to work for Murray "Always profits before safety, that's my opinion, my feeling, my experience."

We have an owner who first used his TV time to tell us how important coal was to this country, not to talk about rescuing his workers. He worked in Ohio against improving mining safety after WV passed new safety laws because of Sego accident. We have an owner who has said flatly the cave in was caused by an earthquake, while seismologists and geophysicists say they are doubtful.

As for waiting to point fingers, no. We have hundreds of miners underground today who would be safer if the new rules passed since the Sago accident had been put in place right away instead of over the next several years.

This particular mine was cited for 30 violations this year. Recommended fines in the 10 cases involving penalties ranged from $60 to $524. Paying those fines were a lot cheaper than increasing safety for the workers.

And who's in charge of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)? A former coal company executive. In fact, as of the first of this year, there are eight former coal industry or coal association executives in the top 10 management positions at the safety agencies for mines/miners. And one position was vacant!

Frankie":pv11y1qw said:
auctionboy":pv11y1qw said:
I can't imagine some one in my family dieing and some scumbag reporter putting cameras and a microphone in my face. Why are you so behind the medias right to bother these people at this time?

You can't imagine. Well, gee whiz, if you can't imagine, I guess that says it all. :roll: I'm not behind the media's right to "bother" "these people", but shutting them up in a building and putting police around them bothers me....a lot.

We've been told that the floors in the part of the mine that collapsed had been heaving recently. We've been told management knew about it. We've been told that one of the trapped miners was "becoming apprehensive..." We've been told by miners that "complaining means the loss of a job." We've been told by a miner who used to work for Murray "Always profits before safety, that's my opinion, my feeling, my experience."

We have an owner who first used his TV time to tell us how important coal was to this country, not to talk about rescuing his workers. He worked in Ohio against improving mining safety after WV passed new safety laws because of Sego accident. We have an owner who has said flatly the cave in was caused by an earthquake, while seismologists and geophysicists say they are doubtful.

As for waiting to point fingers, no. We have hundreds of miners underground today who would be safer if the new rules passed since the Sago accident had been put in place right away instead of over the next several years.

This particular mine was cited for 30 violations this year. Recommended fines in the 10 cases involving penalties ranged from $60 to $524. Paying those fines were a lot cheaper than increasing safety for the workers.

And who's in charge of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)? A former coal company executive.

Only in The USA...The working man foots the bill,or in this case undoubtedly with his life, while the fat get fatter.

Frankie":3giq9m9j said:
I'm not behind the media's right to "bother" "these people", but shutting them up in a building and putting police around them bothers me....a lot.

I guess it would bother me a lot also if I thought the police were there to keep them inside and not there to provide them with the privacy that THEY MUST WANT!

Since I do not think the police are holding them hostage then there being there would not even show up on my radar.

To many other things to worry about besides worrying about why the families privacy is being protected.

I think you are letting your paranoia get the best of you! Everything is not a conspiracy. Some things are as simple as they seem!

Frankie":3r1uitkg said:
auctionboy":3r1uitkg said:

YesI can't imagine. :roll: Your views on personal privacy coincide with all of your other views! Also you think the people are not being let out of the building and not being let talk to the media. You attack me with your bold letters and eye rolling emoticons trying to prove to people you know anything, but when you type thinks like this it proves you don't. Go ahead erase it, that is the type of media you want, with no rules!!!!!!!!

I hate the media for their insensitivity. Even the small guys are be nice.
They have no feelings for the families as long as they "Get that shot"
Ran into that at a fatal accident. Three lives were lost. Being an EMT on scene I asked the News crews not to show the yellow sheet that was on one person. My concern was for their family. What did those be nice do???? Showed it on the news for the next 3 days!!!!!
Those poor families had to see that and their friends had to also.
To this day I greet those News people with a one finger salute.
I have no respect for them.

While I don't think that the news had a right to bother the families in their time of need, I do believe that it was looking rather doubtful whether or not it was their choice not to be interviewed.

I think that there was some sort of cover-up, or that at least the mine owners do not want anyone talking about what could have happened or about any fears the miners may have voiced to their families.

I also think that the families should be left alone unless they want to come forward with information. I don't think that anyone should impede their access to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts