Utah Mine disaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lammie":ay68nplt said:
While I don't think that the news had a right to bother the families in their time of need, I do believe that it was looking rather doubtful whether or not it was their choice not to be interviewed.

I think that there was some sort of cover-up, or that at least the mine owners do not want anyone talking about what could have happened or about any fears the miners may have voiced to their families.

I also think that the families should be left alone unless they want to come forward with information. I don't think that anyone should impede their access to the media.

They said a brother of one of them was interviewed yesterday, and another family member said that one of the miners, the youngest one, said he was apprehensive about working in the area they were in, so who knows. maybe it is the mining officials that are preventing the family's from talking, I think time will tell, I just wonder why it is taking so long to find them?

GMN

I have seen very little about this tragedy on TV only read a little about it on news articles on the Internet.

But I can not figure out how an owner of a mine could stop family members from talking of this wished to do so?

If my family member was underground and I did not think they were doing all they could to save them I would be yelling from the top of the trees to get something done.

I can not imagine the mine owner holding guns to their heads to prevent them from speaking to the media, and that is the only thing he could do to stop them from talking.

Anyone please explain how the mine owner could stop them from speaking if they wished to.

I think people feel entitled to know everything and it is bugging some that some people wish their private matters to stay there own business.

I saw coverage early on, and it seemed to me that it was a pretty well run mine. The owner did get awfully defensive about the earthquake issue. I'm sure he really wants to believe there was a quake.
Certainly the owner is spending whatever it takes--none of this is cheap.
I do think the owner has had some coaching in disaster management--just as we cattlemen have our response teams for instances of bad publicity.
There will be plenty of time to sort it all out after they find the men.
I could never be a miner. God bless em. I couldn't do that.

not looking so good today... the search is off..they lost 3 mine rescue workers today.What a hell of a decision to have to make. :( :( :(

frenchie":39tww4vg said:
not looking so good today... the search is off..they lost 3 mine rescue workers today.What a be nice of a decision to have to make. :( :( :(
Every idiot is complaining that the mine owner isn't doing enough so they had to try to rescue people that were probably dead and three others died just because of all of these people pushing and complaining that don't know anything about the real situation. Shame on alot of people.

I think this thing is going to get ugly and very politicial. The head of mine safety in the US was appointed on a recess appointment. Coal mining in Utah has boomed the last few years and many of the new miners are Mexicans. Are they legals? That would be interesting to know. Why was retreat mining approved in this area of such instability? Mining is one of the ten most dangerous jobs in the US under good conditions, but some mine owners are willing to take a chance with their worker's lives. Shame on them.

Families won't talk to reporters because they'll be fired or other family members will be fired. And in some places, mining jobs are the only jobs that pay well enough to support their families. Yes, they could pull their families up from their generational roots and move to town and work at McDonalds, but they prefer to stay put. Plus they have a loyalty to the industry.

Frankie":2qdvbg5q said:
Mining is one of the ten most dangerous jobs in the US under good conditions, but some mine owners are willing to take a chance with their worker's lives. Shame on them.

To blame a mine owner I would have to know he was neglectful in some way. Other wise there is dangerous jobs out there, people are usually paid more to do them. And those people have to be responsible for their own decisions.

If people did not do dangerous jobs, we wouldn't get our houses roofed, have food to eat, fish to eat, planes to fly in, taxi's to ride in. Some jobs are dangerous and some people die doing them, that is part of life.

The 10 most dangerous jobs by fatality rate are:

Rank Occupation Death rate/100,000
1 Logging workers 92.4
2 Aircraft pilots 92.4
3 Fishers and fishing workers 86.4
4 Structural iron and steel workers 47.0
5 Refuse and recyclable material collectors 43.2
6 Farmers and ranchers 37.5
7 Roofers 34.9
8 Electrical power line installers/repairers 30.0
9 Driver/sales workers and truck drivers 27.6
10 Taxi drivers and chauffeurs 24.2

aplusmnt":1kgahj4g said:
Frankie":1kgahj4g said:
Mining is one of the ten most dangerous jobs in the US under good conditions, but some mine owners are willing to take a chance with their worker's lives. Shame on them.

To blame a mine owner I would have to know he was neglectful in some way. Other wise there is dangerous jobs out there, people are usually paid more to do them. And those people have to be responsible for their own decisions.

If people did not do dangerous jobs, we wouldn't get our houses roofed, have food to eat, fish to eat, planes to fly in, taxi's to ride in. Some jobs are dangerous and some people die doing them, that is part of life.

1 Logging workers 92.4
2 Aircraft pilots 92.4
7 Roofers 34.9

Where did you get this list? Link?

Frankie":1qtr8moo said:
aplusmnt":1qtr8moo said:
Frankie":1qtr8moo said:

1 Logging workers 92.4
2 Aircraft pilots 92.4
7 Roofers 34.9

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/jobs_jeopardy/

somn":ni6wdwxe said:
Frankie":ni6wdwxe said:
aplusmnt":ni6wdwxe said:
Frankie":ni6wdwxe said:

1 Logging workers 92.4
2 Aircraft pilots 92.4
7 Roofers 34.9

Do you think that's were aplusmnt got his figures? I just don't see him as a CNN type. Figures change from year to year. Here's a more current link. The Sago Mining accident last year probably affected the ratings:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10725454/

"In fact, according to newly released data from the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mining industry has the second-highest fatality rate per 100,000 employees. Only the agriculture industry (which includes forestry, fishing and hunting) has a higher rate of death on the job."

Frankie":1n4zqlly said:
somn":1n4zqlly said:
aplusmnt":1n4zqlly said:

1 Logging workers 92.4
2 Aircraft pilots 92.4
7 Roofers 34.9

Do you think that's were aplusmnt got his figures? I just don't see him as a CNN type. Figures change from year to year. Here's a more current link. The Sago Mining accident last year probably affected the ratings:

"In fact, according to newly released data from the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mining industry has the second-highest fatality rate per 100,000 employees. Only the agriculture industry (which includes forestry, fishing and hunting) has a higher rate of death on the job."
Regardless if cnn is where aplus got his numbers or not they are identical and obviously they are more specific according to occupation. When using your figures they lump me as a cattle and grain farmer in with loggers. I know nothing about logging. Cnn info is occupation specific your is not. That is just a way to lower the averages of certain occupations and raise the average of the miners. Your info is using 2004 figures as is cnn.

somn":1vmgt84f said:
Frankie":1vmgt84f said:
somn":1vmgt84f said:
aplusmnt":1vmgt84f said:

1 Logging workers 92.4
2 Aircraft pilots 92.4
7 Roofers 34.9

Regardless if cnn is where aplus got his numbers or not they are identical and obviously they are more specific according to occupation. When using your figures they lump me as a cattle and grain farmer in with loggers. I know nothing about logging. Cnn info is occupation specific your is not. That is just a way to lower the averages of certain occupations and raise the average of the miners. Your info is using 2004 figures as is cnn.

You're right. The article is from 2006, but the figures are from 2004. I wonder why?

No, they're not more specific. For example, several construction workers were killed recently working on a mine ventilation shaft. Will they show up as construction deaths or mining deaths? The article I posted talked about the mining industry, not miners.

We can quibble all day about what should or should not be counted. But every worker has the right to go to work knowing his employer has his best interests at heart. I don't believe this guy/company had their employee's best interests at heart. As I learn more and more about Murray (the owner), it's making me madder and madder. He's threatened safety inspectors, bullied miners, lobbyed against safety measures, made huge political contributions to influencial politicians..... The percentage of Mexican miners has gone up considerably the last few years, too. Why? I'll bet they work cheaper and are less likely to complain to authorities about working conditions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070818/ap_ ... _oversight

http://www.wvpubcast.org/radio/newsroom/Murray0808.pdf

Somn was correct.

Also the same data can be found at

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/ ... erous_Jobs

it is taken from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS),

Also at

http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/13/danger ... anger.html

Mining does not statistically rank among the most dangerous occupations. Fatalities did increase 19% in 2006 to 190, largely due to the Sago Mine accident in West Virginia in January. But mining accidents have generally dropped since passage of the Mining Safety & Health Act in 1977, which tightened safety standards. Per capita-wise, the industry doesn't rank among the 10 most dangerous

You'll have a hard time blaming the number of illegals in this country on Liberals. The recently defeated immigration "reform" bill was promoted and pushed by Republican President George W. Bush and other Republicans in the House and Senate, as well as Democrats. And I'd say a good portion of those illegals are working for "conservative" big business, meat packers, home construction companies, big ag, not exactly a Liberal constituency.

Frankie":1v88f5z9 said:
You'll have a hard time blaming the number of illegals in this country on Liberals. The recently defeated immigration "reform" bill was promoted and pushed by Republican President George W. Bush and other Republicans in the House and Senate, as well as Democrats. And I'd say a good portion of those illegals are working for "conservative" big business, meat packers, home construction companies, big ag, not exactly a Liberal constituency.

O what the heck, been a while :D You are correct Dem's and Republicans are both to blame for not doing anything about the the illegal immigration problem.

But just as many that come here for jobs have came here for all the Liberal Social freebies that they fight so hard to give them. And it is the Liberals that push so hard to make it easier and more enticing for them to continue to come.

I could probably stomach them coming here for a job if needed, but when the Liberals push for the programs in the schools, Medical, rights to vote, all the bad things that surround illegal immigration is on the Liberal side. Maybe the Conservatives want the the illegals for work, but that is a lot better than the Liberals wanting to coddle and nurse feed them through our welfare programs just for the Hispanic vote.

I bet more illegals work for small businesses not big business. I doubt General Motors has many illegals working for them, I doubt Exxon has many. But I know my buddy that does dry wall work has 3 working for him. I know many small janitorial companies, my cousin has many in his landscaping business. It is to hard for them to get jobs for fortune 500 companies. They thrive in the small business world.

Frankie":1585qvlv said:
You'll have a hard time blaming the number of illegals in this country on Liberals. The recently defeated immigration "reform" bill was promoted and pushed by Republican President George W. Bush and other Republicans in the House and Senate, as well as Democrats.

Ps. you are talking about a bill to stop them, not the reason they are here. We can easily blame Liberals just as much or more for the reason they are here.

aplusmnt":2t6yud27 said:
Frankie":2t6yud27 said:
I'm not behind the media's right to "bother" "these people", but shutting them up in a building and putting police around them bothers me....a lot.

If you dont put some sort of protection from the media the news hounds would be knocking down doors to get pics of the poor folks tears! What better force to protect them from unwanted media types that the police that are trained and paid to do just that! PROTECT AND SERVE.
I know if it were me i would be thankful for the protection!

I guess it would bother me a lot also if I thought the police were there to keep them inside and not there to provide them with the privacy that THEY MUST WANT!

Since I do not think the police are holding them hostage then there being there would not even show up on my radar.

To many other things to worry about besides worrying about why the families privacy is being protected.

I think you are letting your paranoia get the best of you! Everything is not a conspiracy. Some things are as simple as they seem!

This seems very likely to be the case if those that think they are being held forcefully!
Look out folks the black helicopters are hovering nearby to carry them off to parts unknown!

I doubt that any of those family members are the least bit worried about losing their jobs if they talk to the media!!
More paranoia on the part of some of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts