using F-1 braford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

brimmer X

Reaction score
Just a topic for discussion. I typically do not use a crossbred bull, but curious how an F-1 braford bull (hereford sired on brahman cow) would work on Charolais x hereford and Braunvieh x hereford cows.

Would there be any real negative effects to the breeding if the F-1 bull and cross bred cows shared the same sire? In other words, half sibling mating (hereford sired).

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but if your goal is to get a little ear (and more pounds) on the calves, I think you'd get better results with a Brangus instead.

Very interested in the responses to this question from the folks smarter than me. I was thinking of this very question (just different breeds) on my walk into work last night. Thanks brimmer.

One of the 'negatives' I speculated was inconsistency in calfs; but again, pure speculation

Alacowman, just getting an idea from experienced people like yourself. Thinking out loud and replacements considered, It would give me 1/4 brahman, 1/4 continental, and half hereford. The only black being used would be a terminal bull on the replacements, if I chose to use one. I have never used an F-1 braford, and don't know of anyone who has. The strait hereford might be the way to go. That would put you at 1/4 continental and 3/4 hereford. Just wondering if the quarter brahman would benefit me in our humid environment.

Thought the topic would make for some good discussion. Once I finish with my heifer bull on the cross bred heifers, I'll probably just go terminal.

I'm surprised this thread didn't take off, I was looking forward to the responses. My :2cents: I would only pursue that cross in hopes of replacements. I guess ideally, I'd want it the other way around.

I'm a little surprised it didn't take off as well. I agree, the only real benefit would be replacements. I also believe, the best producing cow for Arkansas is the brahman cross female. I currently only have 3 and one registered brahman female left out of about 40 head, but you have to be careful with the brahman cross. Some will be gentle as a dog, and others have a tendency to be hard to manage, especially with mediocre facilities. The best producers (cows), are not always the best, for some cattle people to own. I'll include myself into that catagory.

I am surprised that this thread didn't receive more response. If replacement females is what you are after, then get after it. Your mix of 1/2 English, 1/4 Continental and 1/4 Brahman should make excellent cows for your area. The closer to Texas you could market the steers would help as we don't see the discount as much for 1/4 blood Brahman as other parts of the US.

To get the maternal influence you are looking for, you will sacrifice some on the steer calves.

Thanks for all the responses. I agree, the steer calves would cost me some at the sale. I may consider this a little more after last evening. With the heat and flies this year, the cows just did not want to move for pasture rotation until the sun went down.

brimmer X":2xdz3w6w said:
Thanks for all the responses. I agree, the steer calves would cost me some at the sale. I may consider this a little more after last evening. With the heat and flies this year, the cows just did not want to move for pasture rotation until the sun went down.
I feel the same way this time of year when it gets hot. My black bull and cows are sitting in the shade or pond, while my red/white cows (especially the ones with Brahman blood) are out grazing.

Post Oak":1ynjrtve said:
brimmer X":1ynjrtve said:
I feel the same way this time of year when it gets hot. My black bull and cows are sitting in the shade or pond, while my red/white cows (especially the ones with Brahman blood) are out grazing.
Raise what fits your environment and it will all take care of itself. Having a Brahman influenced cow in Texas is almost a necessity. I don't see the premium for black hides today as much as we saw 5 to 6 years ago. Could be because we have made 70 to 80% of the cattle black now.

BC":2nbhy470 said:
Post Oak":2nbhy470 said:
brimmer X":2nbhy470 said:
Raise what fits your environment and it will all take care of itself. Having a Brahman influenced cow in Texas is almost a necessity. I don't see the premium for black hides today as much as we saw 5 to 6 years ago. Could be because we have made 70 to 80% of the cattle black now.
The problem here in South Carolina is finding a quality Beefmaster or Gert within reasonable driving distance. You can find good Brangus, but the ones that I have been around have had bad dispositions.

Latest posts