• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Using 55g drum for generator fuel tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23

Reaction score
We dropped a 1hp submersible pump in to a water well to fill a stock pond. Every thing seems to work so far but the generator can only run for maybe 6hrs or so on a tank of fuel. It's one of the Champion generators like you see at TSC or Sam's or some where.

I have a drum stand and was thinking of buying a couple drums of gasoline and setting them on the stand. Then just run a fuel line to the carb and let it gravity feed. I have the fittings for the fuel line and a vent. It appears the fuel just gravity feeds out of the onboard tank now.

Is the there any thing I am missing or not thinking of?

Silver

Reaction score
We dropped a 1hp submersible pump in to a water well to fill a stock pond. Every thing seems to work so far but the generator can only run for maybe 6hrs or so on a tank of fuel. It's one of the Champion generators like you see at TSC or Sam's or some where.

I have a drum stand and was thinking of buying a couple drums of gasoline and setting them on the stand. Then just run a fuel line to the carb and let it gravity feed. I have the fittings for the fuel line and a vent. It appears the fuel just gravity feeds out of the onboard tank now.

Is the there any thing I am missing or not thinking of?
This is pretty much what I do when topping off the dugout I use for winter water. I just use a 10 gallon drum I lay on its side on a stand a foot off the ground or so. It has a valve fitted into the small bung with fuel line on it. Like you are planning, I just hook the fuel line to the carb where the OEM line would go. This allows me to run a 3" pump for nearly a day. Works great.

OP
Brute 23

Brute 23

Reaction score
This is pretty much what I do when topping off the dugout I use for winter water. I just use a 10 gallon drum I lay on its side on a stand a foot off the ground or so. It has a valve fitted into the small bung with fuel line on it. Like you are planning, I just hook the fuel line to the carb where the OEM line would go. This allows me to run a 3" pump for nearly a day. Works great.
Thanks for the reply. Always good to hear some real experience with it.

OP
Brute 23

Brute 23

Reaction score
It was sad. We were testing the well to a low spot and getting around 15gpm. It took a good while to puddle water up. It was just running in the cracks until they filled up.

Kind of makes you wonder if you can win this battle.

Latest posts