Using 55g drum for generator fuel tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We dropped a 1hp submersible pump in to a water well to fill a stock pond. Every thing seems to work so far but the generator can only run for maybe 6hrs or so on a tank of fuel. It's one of the Champion generators like you see at TSC or Sam's or some where.

I have a drum stand and was thinking of buying a couple drums of gasoline and setting them on the stand. Then just run a fuel line to the carb and let it gravity feed. I have the fittings for the fuel line and a vent. It appears the fuel just gravity feeds out of the onboard tank now.

Is the there any thing I am missing or not thinking of?

We dropped a 1hp submersible pump in to a water well to fill a stock pond. Every thing seems to work so far but the generator can only run for maybe 6hrs or so on a tank of fuel. It's one of the Champion generators like you see at TSC or Sam's or some where.

I have a drum stand and was thinking of buying a couple drums of gasoline and setting them on the stand. Then just run a fuel line to the carb and let it gravity feed. I have the fittings for the fuel line and a vent. It appears the fuel just gravity feeds out of the onboard tank now.

Is the there any thing I am missing or not thinking of?
This is pretty much what I do when topping off the dugout I use for winter water. I just use a 10 gallon drum I lay on its side on a stand a foot off the ground or so. It has a valve fitted into the small bung with fuel line on it. Like you are planning, I just hook the fuel line to the carb where the OEM line would go. This allows me to run a 3" pump for nearly a day. Works great.

This is pretty much what I do when topping off the dugout I use for winter water. I just use a 10 gallon drum I lay on its side on a stand a foot off the ground or so. It has a valve fitted into the small bung with fuel line on it. Like you are planning, I just hook the fuel line to the carb where the OEM line would go. This allows me to run a 3" pump for nearly a day. Works great.
Thanks for the reply. Always good to hear some real experience with it.

Latest posts