usefull research

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
If you could wish for something cattle related to be researched what would it be?

For me I'd like to understand how the inheritance of eye pigment works in herefords, also I wouldn't mind if they researched the inheritance of scurs again. Unfortunately neither is going to be easily quantifiable so creating a new EPD and a new PhD isn't going to be so easy so I doubt we'll ever see research on either again.

I'd like to see a quantified link between feed conversion in the feedlot and momma cow performance on a forage-only diet. Intuitively they should be close, but I just wonder if there are wide-ranging differences in the ability of cattle (like monogastrics) to use starches and proteins in the abomasum and the small intestine.

I think we're getting there in a round-about way, but it doesn't seem like anybody is tackling this head-on.

I would like for some one to research and determine what makes a handful of breeds have more tender meat than the rest of the breeds. MARC did a study on it several years ago and determined which breeds but I don't think they ever figured out why. This was way before they started doing gene research.

KNERSIE":phaqfyj4 said:
If you could wish for something cattle related to be researched what would it be?

For me I'd like to understand how the inheritance of eye pigment works in herefords, also I wouldn't mind if they researched the inheritance of scurs again. Unfortunately neither is going to be easily quantifiable so creating a new EPD and a new PhD isn't going to be so easy so I doubt we'll ever see research on either again.

There is ongoing research at Texas A&M regarding the inheritance of scurs. It has turned into a major project. Not as simple as many thought it would be.

Jovid":1usgwai5 said:
I would like for some one to research and determine what makes a handful of breeds have more tender meat than the rest of the breeds. MARC did a study on it several years ago and determined which breeds but I don't think they ever figured out why. This was way before they started doing gene research.

I was at a lamb convention last week (which I know is not beef) but interestingly in terms of meat quality they found more variation within breeds than between breeds.

In terms of beef there is ongoing research here into tenderness gene markers.

I'll be doing honours/PhD in a couple of years so I might keep an eye on this thread for some ideas :lol2:

How about some research on flavor?Are there breeds or strains that excell in producing flavorfull beef? An EPD for flavor could shake things up in the cattle business I would think.

R.N.Reed":n6j3c1el said:
How about some research on flavor?Are there breeds or strains that excell in producing flavorfull beef? An EPD for flavor could shake things up in the cattle business I would think.

interesting ideas. It seems to me though even from my limited experience that flavor and tenderness may be partially genetic but also largely affected by the age of the animal at harvest and the feeding system used. I guess if you tested animals all on the same feed program and all the same age for tenderness and flavor you could maybe identify some better than others.

As far as feed efficiency, I see Jerry Huth, the breeder I've been buying bulls from, is in fact having most of his bulls run through a feed efficiency test. Jerry is including that as part of his catalog information for bull sales. So this one is in fact being researched and selected for.

Jerry has RFI feed efficiency test data in his sale catalog along with a video from the test station:

http://huthcattle.com

Jim

I agree SRBeef that outside forces,or if I may use the new buzzword Epigenetics can effect flavor as well as most other traits but if there can be found a reliable line of cattle that can produce flavorful beef with the proper environment, the potential return on investment would be far greater than some of the other single trait efforts that academia has spent years and millions on researching.

I am guessing that if they looked really hard into it there are both antagonistic and analogous genes for efficiency. You want a brood cow to be able to lay down fat stores on fall grass while still nursing a calf. Obviously you don't want a feedlot steer to be laying down any backfat. It takes 2.5 times as much energy to lay down a pound of fat as it does a pound of muscle. Certainly there are genes for conversion of feedstuffs that would benefit both the steer in the feedlot and the cow on the range, although I suggest that the biggest genetic impact for feed conversion is immunity. Healthy steers convert a whole lot better than steers that catch every bug dittoe with their momas on the farm. What I am suggesting is that that YG 1 Choice heavy muscled heifer with feed efficiency and ADG out the yin yang would not make the ideal commercial brood cow. Likewise that heifer that will calf in -10 degree weather, breed back 80 days later in 102 degree heat, wean a 6 wt steer on grass with a 5++ condition score, gain weight eating hay, and do that for 15 years might not have made the greatest carcass heifer ever.

Brandonm22":fsgcqn0f said:
I am guessing that if they looked really hard into it there are both antagonistic and analogous genes for efficiency. You want a brood cow to be able to lay down fat stores on fall grass while still nursing a calf. Obviously you don't want a feedlot steer to be laying down any backfat. It takes 2.5 times as much energy to lay down a pound of fat as it does a pound of muscle. Certainly there are genes for conversion of feedstuffs that would benefit both the steer in the feedlot and the cow on the range, although I suggest that the biggest genetic impact for feed conversion is immunity. Healthy steers convert a whole lot better than steers that catch every bug dittoe with their momas on the farm. What I am suggesting is that that YG 1 Choice heavy muscled heifer with feed efficiency and ADG out the yin yang would not make the ideal commercial brood cow. Likewise that heifer that will calf in -10 degree weather, breed back 80 days later in 102 degree heat, wean a 6 wt steer on grass with a 5++ condition score, gain weight eating hay, and do that for 15 years might not have made the greatest carcass heifer ever.

In other words, stick to the middle or the road, just lean slightly in a direction suited to your environment.

I would like to see a study comparing EPD information to the DNA Profiling information to determine the accuracy of the EPDs. From what limited reading I have done to date it looks like the profiling gives a wider more accurate picture?

Brandonm22":8lh9fku9 said:

That's what I was trying to get at. Thank you for stating it much better.

It seems like this one would have been done but I can't find it . . .

A direct correlation between cattle size = more required feed intake = harder to maintain in harsh environments to produce a calf that can't offset the greater feed intake and still breed back.

A hunter friend (I don't hunt) says the largest whitetails are found in the harshest environments (the further north you travel - at least in Michigan). It seems, based on livestock frame score arguments, they would be smaller. He says the same is true of bears.

It also seems Africa sure has it's share of harsh environments and, based on this logic, it would have only low frame score herbivores. Yet it has more than it's share of massive herbivores. Certainly they are "adapted to their environment", but why can't some large frame cattle also be more suitable for harsh environments.

:???:

Anyhow, long answer, short question.

angus9259":1jh66c9n said:
It seems like this one would have been done but I can't find it . . .

A direct correlation between cattle size = more required feed intake = harder to maintain in harsh environments to produce a calf that can't offset the greater feed intake and still breed back.

A hunter friend (I don't hunt) says the largest whitetails are found in the harshest environments (the further north you travel - at least in Michigan). It seems, based on livestock frame score arguments, they would be smaller. He says the same is true of bears.

It also seems Africa sure has it's share of harsh environments and, based on this logic, it would have only low frame score herbivores. Yet it has more than it's share of massive herbivores. Certainly they are "adapted to their environment", but why can't some large frame cattle also be more suitable for harsh environments.

:???:

Anyhow, long answer, short question.

Remember that the output per available area plays a big role in profitability, not the case in wildlife. If it wasn't for nature reserves very few of the large herbivores would still be around today.

angus9259":2uembsww said:
I
Yet it has more than it's share of massive herbivores.

i remember reading somewhere that the lower quality the feedstuff, the more preference for a larger frame score.

also, larger herbivores have been eliminated most everywhere else by man.

also, the lower quality feedstuff relationship with size probably has something to do with the ratio of digestion system to body mass.

as balls (stomach) get bigger, "For example, when length is doubled (i.e., x = 2) surface area is quadrupled (22 = 4) not doubled, and volume is octupled (23 = 8) not tripled." so it makes sense there is some preference that for a given volume, a larger animal needs more digestive volume for lower quality feedstuffs. there is probably some maintenance energy issue going on as well.

research i would like to see is markers for longevity and fertility and some photoperiodism research and it's effect on what with specific information regarding markers (which don't need to be within genes).

Well we ranch probably within 50 miles of the north end of where whitetails roam in Saskatchewan-it's true that deer do get larger as you go north but only to a point-I guess we need to discover what the point is on the cattle side of things. I'm not sure if our whitetails are any longer legged than ones in south Texas but they are considerably heavier-we giggle watching guys on TV shoot a buck then grab one horn and start dragging it. As for research it would be interesting to dump a 100 or so cows along with bulls from several breeds on some range where you can winter graze then just leave every thing alone for twenty years then come back and see what shook out. Another thing would be to take several of the gurus-give them each a place-6 figure debt-no ther income but what they make from cattle and see how they shake out lol.

Northern Rancher":3csu1p5u said:
Another thing would be to take several of the gurus-give them each a place-6 figure debt-no ther income but what they make from cattle and see how they shake out lol.

What would you be trying to prove?

Latest posts